1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

Tire Changing Stand (dirt bike)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dmrogers, Oct 17, 2018.

1. dmrogers

dmrogers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last night, I changed the first tire for one of my dirt bikes in a long time, and it went great!

This year for my birthday, my wife got me a couple of Pirelli Scorpion tires for my 200 EXC. I've been freshening it up, and it needed new rubber. In addition to the tires, she ordered a Tusk Adjustable Height Tire Changing Stand.
    With the stand, a couple of good tire irons, a Motion Pro Bead Buddy, some talcum powder and soapy water, the change wasn't bad at all. In fact, the hardest part was getting the valve stem in the hole. I had heavy duty tubes, and they were a handful to manipulate. I did also use a heat gun to warm up the tire a little. The tire went on so easy, I was pleasantly surprised.

I highly recommend this tire changing stand. I makes it much easier to change a tire, as well as manipulate the tire. Like moving the bead to get it in the middle of the wheel. Plus, it's a lot better on my back (and knees). I wish I had one of these stands back when I was racing. The last time I changed tires, it was over a 5 gallon bucket!

The Tusk stand is well built, easy to assemble, and well thought out. It is rubber coated for grip and protection, the legs have gripped steps and it is adjustable. It also has a pry notch to help leverage rim locks out of the wheel. Even though I don't change tires often, this was $75 well spent. I had considered getting the Baja No Pinch or the TMT4 tool, but with the stand, I don't really need anything else. If this stand was stolen, I would buy another one tomorrow!
    BobcatSig likes this.
  2. manstache

manstache Flounder of ADV

Oddometer:
  3. dmrogers

Oddometer:
    No, I didn't bolt it to the floor. Actually, I like it where I can move it around. The legs have those grip steps that you can hold it in place.
    And yes, having it hold the tire in place is one of the biggest advantages. In the past several years, I haven't changed a lot of tires, but with three bikes (and counting) and the fact that me and my wife have starting riding a lot more, I figured this was a good investment.
    I just removed the tire from the front rim. Much easier. Oh, and the rear is still holding air, so I'm calling it good!
    manstache and ohgood like this.
  4. fluffdad

fluffdad Dual Spork Group W

Oddometer:
    I have the same stand and really like it too. The only times ive wanted it bolted down was removing certain old tires or installing some heavy wall rear tires

I may put some recessed anchors in my floor so i can lock it down when needed but move it out of the way when not using it.
    dmrogers likes this.
  5. simplemind

simplemind Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another idea is bolting the stand to a 1/2 sheet of plywood. You will be standing on the plywood in use, and after you're done, remove the stand and shove the plywood behind a cabinet or similar.
    dmrogers likes this.
  6. Diamondman

Diamondman Always bringing up the rear, but still having FUN!

Oddometer:
    I love the idea of the tire stand, haven't bought one yet, but def have thought about it. I do recommend the Baja No Pinch Tire Tool. it makes changing tires simple. It stays in the truck all the time.
    Xchemie and dmrogers like this.
  7. dmrogers

Oddometer:
    I can see where it would be advantageous to mount the stand, especially with really stiff tires. The Scorpions I took off my wheels were really old, but didn't put up too much of a fight. Mounting it to plywood, or recessed mounting would be a great option. I have my bike shoe mounted to plywood. Makes it real easy to remove from my enclosed trailer.
    I seriously considered the Baja No Pinch. But, I thought, I'll see how bad these tires beat me up, and if needed, I'll order one. Before I knew it, I had both tires mounted and it wasn't bad at all. Having that leverage up high makes all the difference in the world.

This might sound crazy, but when I mounted my front tire (a 21" Scorpion), I took it off and mounted it again. I was trying out some stuff I saw on a couple of YouTube videos. The major issue I had was with the rim locks. So I was practicing with that. Got it down pretty good. Also, one of the videos I saw, the guy showed a neat trick for getting the valve stem inserted properly.
    Like I said, some of the best money on tools I've spent in a long time.