Tire choice for 701 in Colorado

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Robco, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Robco

Robco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know this horse has been beaten to death but I'll bring it up again. I have a 701 that I'll be taking from the Blue Ridge Mts to Ouray Co next month. At present time I'm running the TKC 80s and I don't have a problem with them because I have to do more pavement than dirt just to get to off road, and they are "OK" in the dirt and I trust them on the slab. I know in Colorado we will ride the million dollar hwy but I imagine the rest will be dirt and rocks so I'm thinking a set of more aggressive tires will be a better choice, I was thinking the AC-10s may fit the bill but I've read that the front AC-10 isn't very good on pavement, Is there better options out there or would the TKCs work well? opinions?
  2. dstutz

dstutz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. Robco

Robco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't but I will. Thanks. There is so much on here to see sometimes it's hard to find it all.
  4. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tires don’t matter much out there, the rock is very grippy. What matters more is the ability to lower tire pressure a bit so the tires conform to the rocks and not deflect off of them. Extra thick tubes and rim locks.
  6. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    rode out there last summer with friends. Most were on little bikes but I was on a 950 and two were on 690's. Front tire you can run whatever you want. Most of us ran full off road front tires (FYI all Pirelli front tires are DOT if you need the rating). For the rear, one 690 was on a MotoZ Tractionator and it held up well and worked great. He went up Poughkeepsie gulch with the 690, that's about as hard as most would be comfortable riding on a 690. Pretty sure I ran a Metzeler Karoo 3 rear tire and it worked great as well (all 140/80-18 sizes).
  7. Robco

Robco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thats the kind of answers I am looking for. I may just stay with a new TKC 80 on the front and maybe swap out the rear since I'm close to needing one. my question was just do I need one like 606 or will be more 80s do fine on the rocks, I'm hearing that they will.
  8. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    No TKC up front too prone to pinch flats in the rocks. Sidewall is like butter.

D606 front n rear

Or

Pirelli scorpion front and Motoz rear
  9. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi

I live in Denver ride a 350.

I found the TKC 80 in the rear works well me...I was surprised by its off road ability .. I rode many technical Colorado jeep roads and single tract trails with no issues. Longivtiy is impressive and street performance is very good .

I would not use then up front ! !

I run the Pirelli Rally Scorpion as a front ...works excellent both on and off road

Have a great ride

Scott
  10. BobcatSig

BobcatSig Single Track Beater

Oddometer:
    All good suggestions thus far, especially the HD tubes. Read up on the 690 tire thread and the 701 thread. PILES of information.

As for tires, I love me some Goldentyre. Specifically the 723 front and rear. If you can find the non-R variant, that will last your trip and then some. And the traction both on and off road is hooky hooky hooker face awesome.
  11. Robco

Robco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I appreciate everyone's thoughts. My biggest wonder was just going from the muddy Rocky stuff around here to the Colorado terrain. I am going to mount a new set before I leave for the trip. The scorpion rally looks good and I've also looked hard at the golden Tyre. I guess I'm still in the air on putting on a set of D606s or stay with more of a 50-50 or 60-40 tire. It's always just too easy to second guess things
  12. HBSURFDAD

HBSURFDAD Oops, Sorry Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just did a 4 day Utah ride with a TKC 80 in the back and a GT 216 fatty in the front of my 701.

The fatty was great on everything, including very wet pavement. The "Compromise" TKC 80 was a mistake for me personally. It did poorly in the sand, poorly on the rocks, and was scary bad in the mud. I lost all confidence in the tire and that took away alot of the fun.

Going forward I will never sacrifice off road for on. I have no problem backing off a little in the turns on the slab in exchange for 100% confidence on any dirt/sand/mud I will ride. The worst DOT off road tire's ON road performance is fine for the road riding I will do. 606 / 723 / tractionator HT, etc, all would be my choice over a 50/50 tire. My going forward choice is the 606/Fatty combo. Yes, there is a better setup for every specific situation, but it is good (not great, good) at everything including longevity, poor at nothing.

This is just my very limited experience.
    Davethestick likes this.