Tire choice for Dalton and Dempster Hwys.

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by beemerphile, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I kind of figured that would be the case. When I get my schedule more planned, I was planning on making some calls and preordering some tires up there. Or maybe just throwing a set on the back of the back and changing them up there. One of those two things.
  2. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll be carrying my second set with me this time. The guy I went with last time needed a tire and was very lucky to find one in Whitehorse......he paid a premium for it maybe double what I apid for mine here in Toronto area but he didn't have to carry it. He was good with it too, so a win win for him. I'm an old cheap bastard and it would have put a bad taste in my mouth(no disrespect to any of the local guys or shops up there as they too have to make a living) but with tires being so cheap here....it would have pissed me off....being a cheap bastard!

Plus with the amount of miles we are planning on traveling, I see them as mu second set to get me home. I will still carry the first set as just in case tires....I'm sure I will be used to carrying them by that time....lol

Yes it was 80kph....still fast enough imho and I was lucky it didn't happen in front of the oncoming truck. It was peasoup thick fog and raining. Just as I was coming up to a brow of a hill it started fish tailing, until it was way to much for me to handle. The trailer actually kept me on far longer than without it's weight stopping the rear of the bike from going all over. Like I said, my fault totally! I'm sure the 270's would have been far better tractionwise in that condition. I'm not sure I would go as far as 606's and expect them to last too long after the gravel riding on the tarmac etc......I would stick with a 270 or similar if you expect to travel on them for any length of time. But the 606 will be a perfect tire if the road gets super slippery for sure. It's a toss up as usual what is best etc.

I didn't get hurt in the spill, I pulled my back out bad when I picked the bike and trailer up in a mad fit before I got run over by the oncoming truck. I was completely sideways across the road when I finally came to a stop. I was also so far out ahead of everyone else I had no help close by, again my fault. And I paid for it.....it was a medicated ride home...all the way home!

There is thread somewhere here about risk assessment, take note...if you think you need meds for pain and have them, bring them!:freaky
  3. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Friar Mike is a great source outside Anchorage. Even think his wife is a Texan. That is good enough for me. Then again, never met an Alaskan that I did not like. Great People living in the Great Land.
  4. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    ya she is a Texan but thats my cross to bear:lol3:zilla I should have a 270 or 2 in my bus when Iam in Dawson they are popular and a good tire.
  5. Dracula

Dracula afficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    Heading over to Alaska, leaving NYC June 9 on my GS1200 and hope to make the D2D. I plan to leave home with brand new Tourances which usually last me 10K for rear and almost twice the front on paved roads. My plan is to ride up to Deadhorse if I can catch a good weather window of 2 or 3 days and enjoy that part, as well as most of other roads mentioned in this forum as time allows before I have to be back on July 6 or 7. I am curious how many folks actually carry a set of spare tires, such as TKC to swap once in the area with gravel roads, then swap them out with the previous road tires on the way back, or simply throw them away if fully worn. A reason I reckon this may be worth it is that they will be available when I want them, rather than planing the trip around finding a shop to mount tires and ship them. Also in case a tire gets irreparable damage, the spare would be with me, though I have not read yet of anyone experiencing such trouble even on Dalton highway. I am going to practice some mounting on the road side just using tire levers and the pump I carry, but am also thinking about the extra weight and if TKC's were readily available for purchase in Alaska, so am still not decided to ship them, haul them myself or rely on finding a pair once arrived in Alaska. Any thoughts appreciated.
  6. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm a cheap bastard too. Bringing spare tires might be the best plan.

Glad you didn't get hurt on your get-off. I have a good supply of leftover Vicodins (10/325s and 5/500s) that I usually travel with just in case. My doc tells me they last a good long time in the bottle, so its worth it to carry them. It would be sad to need some pain relief and have them sitting at home.

Here's some drug trivia for you. I always wondered why they mixed the Hydrocodone with Acetaminophen. It turns out if the Hydrocodone is mixed with another drug, its a class 2 pharmaceutical. By itself its a class 3. Never-mind, according to the government site, its always mixed with other drugs.
  7. Brendon@TMS

Brendon@TMS The Motorcycle Shop

Oddometer:
    TKC's and Tourances are stocked, at all times!

It's pretty common for people to ride Tourances/Anakee's up to ANC, then switch to Conti's for D2D, then back to the former for the ride back down. Expect your tires to last a lot less than 10k miles though, AK roads are far worse than the lower 48.
  8. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dahveed......what bike are you on again?

I'n on a KLR and plan on installing two crutch ends, the extendable part to each side of my rear rack. I will have them closed down for normal riding, but when I go and carry tires or anything that I need a bit more rearward, I will extend them out so that the edge of the tire sits on the top of the pile of equipment or supplies and the far edge will rest on the two out stretched crutch pieces. This way it will keep the tires off my back, and also out of the way of both the exhaust and the rear tail light and licience plate. Yep, I do recieve royalties for such ideas....so please send them my way.....lol

This helped solving the tire rubbing my back all the way issue and making the entire trip uncomfortable.

Hope this helps.......:deal
  9. Dracula

Dracula afficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Brendon. Since my trip will be over 10K I will do just that in hoping the set of Tourances will get me to/from ANC though I may be pushing it on way back; I will not have to carry the TKC's on my bike if you stock them and could help store the first set until I return. I just need to consider making a loop to arrive/depart from Anchorage but guess not many other choices if I want to avoid riding all over AK wrapped in tires like the Michelin man.
  10. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    I'm a big advocate of bear spray. I've heard it HAS to be the large can and either have a pic of a bear or say the word bear on it. No problems for me and my crossings either.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
  11. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sat Phones can make calls. Cell phones have significant areas of limited or no service in the North.

Check out your provider Alaska

Here is Verizon

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/...pe=NEWREQUEST&zip=94531&city=Antioch&state=CA

Rogers in Northern Canada

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/w...onsumer_Wireless_Eng-_-Network_0909-_-fastest

Telus in Northern Canada

http://www.scadalink.com/support/pdf/telus_terr_nov8.pdf
  12. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:

Are you still in Granbury? I am going to be there the first weekend on March and a week in April before my move to Anchorage. My dad lives off 51 and rides a Wing. Maybe get together for a beer in March?
  13. GhostRiderFC

GhostRiderFC Just a guy who rides

Oddometer:
    I'm going to be riding my Buell Ulysses to the D2D and then plan on taking both the Dempster and the Dawson highways before heading home. I'll be riding up from NM and currently have Pirelli Angel sport touring tires on the bike. They get really great mileage.

My thought is that since I have more than half the life left in the tires, that I would ride up on those since it's mostly pavement anyway. Upon reaching Dawson City, I would change to a set of Pirelli Scorpion Trail tires that I would bring with me. I would keep the old tires to bring home since they won't be quite dead yet. This way, I'll be riding on fresh trail tires all the way around the north and they can even carry me all the way home. But if I have problems with flats, I'll have my old tires with me as a backup set that can be put on in worst case scenario. I have a tire plug kit that I carry and am getting a small compressor. These are tubeless tires (as I'm sure you know).

Also, an thoughts on tire slime?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
  14. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a Uly for two years and went off road on Scorpion Trails. There only advantage was a thicker carcass to resist failures. Loose gravel and mud she was a handfull. The Scorpion Trails also gave great mileage I think because of being dual compound and you can drag your pegs all day with those tires.

Continental now has the Uly sizes for the TKC 80 on their web site. I would look into their availability for use up north.

15. The Dick

The Dick The Brick Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would say, call Tim Tebow and get the lord on board, pray for the best weather possible, pray for no road work, and when you are done praying, pray some more. If you are a heathen like me, good FNG luck!
  16. GhostRiderFC

GhostRiderFC Just a guy who rides

Oddometer:
    Confidence inspiring.

I guess I'll shop for some Continentals.
  17. Yukoner2

Yukoner2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your tire may have 1/2 life left in them, but our Northern Roads are very coarse and will wear them out a lot quicker than you think. I would suggest starting out with new tires. Leave your old 1/2 worn ones at home.
  18. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    Here's a guy here that did the Dalton on an FJR with sport touring tires. We went up in one day and back in the next. Here's his tires

Then there is DaBinChe that rode to the AC on a 125cc scooter from San Diego (IIRC). No knobbies on his scooter.

It may be harder on some of these machines, but it seems to be very doable. I'd save the Tim Tebow call for something more important.

The Dempster may be different. I've heard its rougher.
  19. jathkajoe

jathkajoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Starting a long trip with new tiries makes a lot of sense to me. I didn't once and got caught out with the cord showing nearly all the way around on the back tire in MT. Small aftermarket indy shop happened to have a take-off in the odd size I needed and that got me home.

I'd a whole lot rather have a spare tire and not need it than need one and not have it.

Since the C10 I'm riding now uses tires that aren't stocked in every shop when I make the trip back to the home of my youth (AK 1957-1990) I'll start with new ones and either carry or ship ahead a set of spares.

Just my two cents worth.

Joe
  20. The Dick

The Dick The Brick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just sayin kids, listen, how big are the stakes that you want to put on the table. I met a young guy from Ireland in Chicken on my last visit in Sept. He shipped a honda 90 cub which he purchased in England, road it up the haul road and back, helped out some dudes on macho bikes, ended up staying with me for a couple of days on his way south to the tip of South America. Of course, yes, in perfect circumstances, you can be lucky enough to go any where on or in equipment you should not be in or on. In all of the serious accidents on the Dempster this summer, which included two deaths, the common factor was a bike on street type tires and street type bikes.
    This is a land of grand huge space and awesome beauty, the reason that most of us live here but it has a nasty bite if you fail full respect.
    Just saying, shit, there is even some hardleys that make it over the top to Chicken.