Tire choice for Dalton and Dempster Hwys.

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by beemerphile, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Last time I checked, no one up here takes farthings. Just coin of the realm - loonies, greenbacks, etc. Sorry. :dunno

:lol3 :lol3

PS. You might provide the size of your tire, in addition to the width, to get more accurate responses. :wink:
  2. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Plus what bike you are riding or which rocket....lol

She's a fast one....lol:freaky:evil
  3. Brendon@TMS

Brendon@TMS The Motorcycle Shop

Oddometer:
    A 160 rear tire? What kind of bike are you on? If you're looking for a street tire, I've got some Dunlop 160's I can cut you a screaming deal on...

If you let us put your tires on, you can ship them to us and we can hold them for you. So, for planning's sake, you can ship your tires to us before you leave, we'll put your name on them, and when you show up, we'll have you taken care of same day with fresh meats mounted and balanced.

I'm the local BMW, Kawasaki, Husqvarna, KTM, Triumph, Ducati, and Zero dealer. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me, call the shop, or email me. I hope this helps!
  4. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    Brendon, I appreciate your input on this thread. You stock TKCs in sizes for the 1150 GSA during the summer months? Do you also stock the D606's in KLR sizes? What sort of thread life do you get from those tires on a mix of gravel and paved roads?
  5. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lol on the currency exchange! My tire size is this....front....120/70/17....rear....160/60/17.....you Yanks didn't get this bike down( and up!) there. Pity.....

[​IMG]

I will be riding the one on the left, although I would love to ride the one on the right. Oh, the choices...LOL
  6. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    yep your right I wish Honda would have imported that one to the US I think I would have got one :thumb if you show up at D2D with it I will finally get to see one in person.
  7. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    This is something I simply do not understand. Why do nearly every JAPANESE bike manufacturer sell a model in one part of the world, but not everywhere. It seems the European companies have universal model lines, but the Japanese like to play this game.
  8. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    Its the not the japanese its the US and the DOT (department of transportation) the bikes (cars,trucks what have you) has to pass there inspections before they can be sold and operated on US roads and if the manufacture doesn't want to go through the bull the US dot wants them to do to a model of bike then its not allowed to be sold here. Thats the short and simple story anyway. there is many european models not here ether.
  9. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Honda has been the one Japanese manufacturer that has brought Europe market bikes here only to have them flop: Hornet 600 and 900, NT700V, CB1000R are three right off the top of my head. All great bikes, but American seems to only want a fully faired sport bike or cruiser with a Touring rig thrown here and there. My wife absolutely loves her NT700V, Deauville everywhere else. But she is German so that may be why. Hopefully the Crosstourer makes it here. I like it.
  10. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    Gotta like how the bike manufacturers stereotype. "American's only ride large, loud, chrome covered motorcycles that are only ridden 20 miles to the bar." Yeah, no adventure, sport, or dirt riders here. Plus the market here changes, but the stereotype never does. Oh the world must look very different from atop the corporate headquarters building.

Apparently there are no plans for the Crosstourer in the US, but they may do a staggered rollout like Yamaha did with the Super Tenere.

Well its raining today, so I'm going to go polish my bike's chrome and then put on my Harleyween outfit and cage it to the bar. :lol3
  11. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am guessing mine will be the only CBF up there. I never see them anywhere and very few are for sale, privately anyway. I was able to snag one of the few white ones that came in AND, rarer still, with matching white OEM hard bags. WIN!!!!

It's a very nice bike,hey, dontcha meet the nicest people on a Honda!!, and very competent, I havent had a chance to really put it through it's paces yet, I picked it up to late in the season. BTW, I had my son ride me to dudes house to pick it up, 3 hours for me on the back of a DRZ 400....yowza......

Honda did a very poor job in marketing the CBF 600/1000, even though it is very popular and gets across the board top marks by European testers,riders and journos. I guess over here,we are all about the cruisers and sporties and custom crap and we don't have the poularity and practicality of naked/standard bikes here,well, we don't embrace it like the Europeans do.

But, it's very different here, where bikes are toys and there where they are do-alls.
  12. TSD

TSD Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
  13. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    Bought ours on E-bay for about $ 34.00 ea. Sold one of them while we were up there and sold the other three on this site when we got home. If you spend some time and do the math as to how fast a bear can run the 30ft the deterent can spray, taking in account the time spent removing the trigger guard, you're better off with an airhorn and a friend who runs slower than you. :D
  14. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:

My thought exactly!!!:deal

I plan on the airhorn and a bear banger loaded but not airmed at the ready when in any situation that I feel like I'm food!:huh
  15. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    Ok, I'll get an air horn. As the secondary strategy, I'm eating a lot of spicy foods and garlic so maybe the bears and bugs will only take one bite. :loll

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VICaWgD-76w?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VICaWgD-76w?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  16. Brendon@TMS

Brendon@TMS The Motorcycle Shop

Oddometer:
    Yes, TKC's in all dual sport sizes, 130/150-17 150-18's in the rear, fronts I have in 100/110-19 and 90/90-21.

Don't get too many requests for the 606, it's pretty aggressive. I've had a handful of folks try the Metzler Karoo and like it, but the vast majority use the TKC as it wears and handles just fine on the pavement. Currently I've got the Metzler Sahara's and Trail Wing's if you want something different.

Mileage from tires is much shorter up here compared to other parts of the country. Roads here are rougher and often see bits of gravel and seal coat, it's like riding on sand paper without the wonderful grip. 3-6k miles on a set of tires is common depending on load, the harder Marathon ME880 tires can get close to 10k miles, I've put those on a GS before, looks goofy, but it's what they wanted!
  17. sidecar

sidecar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rocky Mountain ATV will ship tires to Alaska, but won't ship them to Canada unless it is too your billing address, don't ask me why. You would think it would be a good business for an internet company to ship tires anywhere up north because the bike shops sure don't carry much. Even in Prince George I ran into 5 different guys coming back from Alaska all complaining of not being able to find tires. There was only one place that had a tire for my RT in Prince George.
  18. ChileGS

ChileGS ChileGSer

Oddometer:
    Just got back from Inuvik on a Vancouver to Inuvik trip on a set of Heidenau K60s
    Still a few more kms left after 7900 km
    Great tires especially in the mud on the Dempster.
  19. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably something to do with (potential) credit card fraud. There might be a work-a-round if one were to contact the credit card company about a ship-to address before ordering. Worth a try?