Tire Choices for the off road oriented

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by mspenc45, Aug 7, 2020.

1. mspenc45

mspenc45 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking for the very best front tire for our XT250 as I get my wife back into riding after 20 years. The last thing I want is for her to wash out on the trail. We will not do much pavement at all, so I am not even really concerned about DOT rating. We'll be riding in the SW, so sand, rocks and gravel. Without a doubt, one of the most revered front tire for pure off road seems to be the Bridgestone M59, but I find very little info of anyone daring to try it on even a little pavement. Wondering if anyone here has any experience with it, or anther contender. I know the go to's like the Dunlop 606, but want something even more certain on the trail. FYI, the stock trail wings are terrible on the trail!
  2. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    Kenda trakmaster II is a good tire for the front. I have one on my daughter's XT250.

Lots of good tires for the rear.

One option is the new Tusk knobby from Rocky Mountain. I am running one on the rear of my 640 Adventure, and the thing is like a rototiller going down the trail.

You could also run the matching Kenda on the rear...
  3. GonzoMD

GonzoMD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you don’t care about DOT then I like Dunlop at81’s
  4. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you do want one DOT option, the Pirelli Scorpion Rally (not STR) is a favorite among many DR650 riders. I have had a few and love them. They’re pretty aggressive for a road tire.
    mspenc45 likes this.
  5. Whoscook

Whoscook Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I really like the tusk from rmatvmc. They are beefy and priced right. There’s a running thread on this tire. I’ve bought front and rear. A dot knobby.
  6. mspenc45

mspenc45 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great, thanks for the input. I pulled the trigger on the Tusk D-Sport for the rear, and the Bridgestone M59 for the front. I figure if I don't like the M59 on the front, I'll swap it to my old and trusted XR350 or XR400. I am also going with the Tubliss system as I found the set on Amazon for a a great deal. OMG, I just realized the front tire on the old 350 are like 20 years old!
  7. mspenc45

mspenc45 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ordered the Tusk D-Sport for the rear and the Bridgestone M59 for the front, which may be to aggressive for any road use, but if so, I'll move it to my XR.
  8. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ohohoh :y0!That's easy there can only be one very best tire, so it's the one everyone uses because who would not run the best?
    :lurk
    Boatman likes this.
  9. mspenc45

mspenc45 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great, thanks for the input. I pulled the trigger on the Tusk D-Sport for the rear, and the Bridgestone M59 for the front. I figure if I don't like the M59 on the front, I'll swap it to my old and trusted XR350 or XR400. I am also going with the Tubliss system as I found the set on Amazon for a a great deal. OMG, I just realized the front tire on the old 350 are like 20 years old!
    Yooper_Bob likes this.
  10. 300man

300man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good choice on the M59 front.

IMO stay far away from the Dunlap AT81 front tire. One of the worst front tires ever made. The AT81 rear tire is good
  11. mspenc45

mspenc45 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So true!