Tire Dealer in Alaska Needed

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Bigguy136, Jun 19, 2019.

1. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer:
    Order from the visorshop.com if you are self mounting.... not sure I can say self mounting on this forum. But I did it twice!
  2. AlaskaSolstice

AlaskaSolstice Alaskan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did exactly that last year with a set of Mitas E-07's. Tied them together with some light cord and wrapped them with saran/plastic wrap, checked luggage SEA to ANC. AK Airlines did not question them one bit. Couldn't find the tires locally and shipping was $$$ or I wouldn't have bothered.
    Gary
    AKstevo likes this.
  3. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd guess the checked luggage going north to Alaska looks more like third world countries... they're used to it.
  4. tiny-wheel-200

tiny-wheel-200 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dont waste that space in the center of the tire...fill it with live chickens and wrap it with chicken fencing and then it will look truly third world.
    ksucoach83, wilsonjw42 and Solarmoose like this.
  5. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. Meriwether

Meriwether Following big footprints.

Oddometer:
    So how do you locals buy your tyres in Alaska? I've just tried to buy a tyre from Revzilla and they don't deliver to Anchor Point. I will try again once I pin down an address in Homer. Do any online shops deliver tyres to AK?
    Regards, Mark.
  7. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    You will be better off buying from an Alaska vender. I suggest calling Alaska Leather in Anchorage.

1-907-562-2324 Local, 1-877-562-2324 Toll free
    alaskaleatheronline@gmail.com
    3611 Minnesota Dr. Anchorage, AK 99503
    Tom S and simestd like this.
  8. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very few online vendors ship tires to Alaska, beats me why. I've heard several excuses...

I've bought tires from motorcycle dealers, or as noted in post immediately before yours, Dan at Adventure Cycle Works in Fairbanks, or online vendor Jake Wilson which is now https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/ and they will ship to Alaska. Used Amazon once but they rarely have what I want and usually won't ship north. If you are passing through Anchorage then KHud's suggestion really can't be beat and they support the ADV community. Give them a call.
  9. Meriwether

Meriwether Following big footprints.

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I will check them out.
  10. AKstevo

AKstevo makin' copies...

Oddometer:
    I flew back from Texas on AA with a 21" TKC 80 two weeks ago with absolutely no issue. The tire was inside the flimsly cardboard box it came in from the online dealer, I just reinforced it with some packing tape and cut a carrying slot in the side of the box. Worked great.

With a second tire added I was right at AA's dimensional limit for checked baggage and didn't want to risk getting turned away or paying extra at check-in so only brought the one tire. This worked great and saved a bunch of money over having a tire shipped up. I usually try to buy locally but the cost savings for me was way too good to ignore.
  11. mach1mustang351

mach1mustang351 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    bigjohnsd likes this.
  12. Emasen

Emasen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What is Q3 moto services
    postal address please.
  13. Frostbit1

Frostbit1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The quote I got for new Pirelli Angel GT's from my dealer early this summer (which they did not have in stock anyway) near choked me, so I ordered the same tires from Amazon; free shipping with Prime. They shipped from Tucker Rocky. I had 'em in 4 days. The best part? The front was eighty/rear a hundred bucks cheaper than the dealer quote. True story.