Tire options for Africa Twin

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by BRITTURB, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Just go with the Motoz adventure rear. You run dirt a lot, having run that tire, I think you'll be very happy with it.
    seancampbell and Junglejeff1 like this.
  2. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks,that is my next back tire and going to try the goldyntire 90/100 on front.I think this is about as far as I can go without switching to straight dirt tires.Wife likes this stuff and I like to make her happy.I like to rip on my yz250 pol.
    C.J. likes this.
  3. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Motoz rear....it handles just like a knobbie in the dirt, in my opinion.

Still hunting for a front with more bite. The Motoz tractionater was good... but did not last very long. The shinko is great on the tarmac, ok on hard packed, but not enough side bite in sand and mud.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  4. Zave

Zave ******

Oddometer:
    I'm not happy with the 804 i got i think it is defective a little out of round i get a very annoying hop between 50-60 km/h it's prob just a one off tho no one else has had the problem. I broke the bead and reinstalled nothing seems to work. I'm going for a e10 up front next
  5. Drif10

Oddometer:
    I have the same experiences with those two tires. :nod

Tried a tkc80 front. Loved it in a 19" on my GSA, still hate it in a 21". Based on our talks, I don't think you'd like it.

These Karoo 3's are a much more open tread. The front might suit you better, but I haven't beat on it enough to recommend it.
  6. advdoctor

advdoctor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I experienced a serious and reproducible tank slapper at 70 mph with the motoz tractionator up front.
    Junglejeff1 and C.J. like this.
  7. C.J.

C.J. Sierra Nevada Rider

Oddometer:
    If you go with the Golden 90/100 up front you will need to raise the front fender. This is a ROX kit bringing it up 1" barely makes side clearance. Will check it out tomorrow. Motoz in back. That tire is a keeper. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Blaise W and WoodrowBDR like this.
  8. nohumdrumlife

nohumdrumlife Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wonder how Motoz Adventures in back and a Karoo 3 in front would perform for 50/50? Even Karoo 3's front and back sounds pretty good on an AT.
  9. C.J.

C.J. Sierra Nevada Rider

Oddometer:
    Works very well up front, more than a 50/50 setup with the Motoz in back.
    nohumdrumlife likes this.
  10. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    20171031_162513.jpg I'm cool with that.Looks like it has alot deeper knobs than the shinko.
    C.J. likes this.
  11. C.J.

C.J. Sierra Nevada Rider

Oddometer:
    Did 130 miles today outside Las Vegas area. Most dirt, rock and such. The Golden 90/100 works very well on the front of our bikes. Your going to like it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  12. Lumpster

Lumpster n00b

Oddometer:
    I ditched the stock junk at 3000 miles for the Shinko 804/805 combo. Very happy with this combo save for the lateral grip issue and some instability on the highway. Lateral grip is terrible. Even on gravel roads, when I pick up the throttle mid corner the rear steps out. It catches you by surprise at first, but adjust your riding style accordingly and you get used to it quickly.

Lack of lateral grip caused a couple of tip overs for me in off camber/side hill situations where the rear just refuses to track straight. As mentioned, this thing is 500lbs, but there are tires that handle these situations better, Most are twice the price though.

I also experienced a bit of highway instability with these tires above 75 mph. It just seemed right on the edge of a tank slapper cruising at highway speeds. Not terrible, but not confidence inspiring either.

I removed the 804/805 combo with about 3000 miles on them. The rear had some highway miles left, but I was heading out on a 2000 mile trip, and I don't think there was 2000 miles left on the rear tire. The front was fine but I chose to keep the tires matched up and spooned the 705 shinkos on due to the trip being 100% pavement.

I have been very happy with this combo as well. Much better highway stability, but the front tire is noisier than the 804 knobby. A very noticeable hum above 60 mph. Annoying but not a deal breaker.

A lot of twisties on the trip, and although they take a bit more effort to turn in, I was very impressed with these tires. I was riding with an advance level rider on a concourse 14 and I had no problem keeping his pace in the twisties with confidence wet or dry. I have done some gravel roads with them as well, and I think the front gives up a little to the 804 in gravel, but I think the rear is better. Definitely doesn't step out mid corner like the 805 does. Probably gives up a bit of forward drive, but it is still pretty good.

I haven't been off road with them yet, but I think they would do fine in dry dirt. I'm sure they will give up some in all out forward traction in the slimy stuff, but I am interested to see what lateral traction is like with these. Can't be much worse really. I have ridden on a lot of different tire brands through the years, and I really think that these two lines of Shinkos are great tires, not just great tires for the money.

I am at about 2500 miles on the 705's, most of which was spirited riding in the twisties, and they are showing very little wear. Good stuff! Ride safe!
    Drum Dog likes this.
  13. danptobin

danptobin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    anyone find a tire that works better in mud then the tkc 80?
  14. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Screenshot_2017-12-24-20-54-27.png this is what I am going to try on back this spring.Has about the best reviews for mud before going full knobby.
  15. craighkzn

craighkzn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Motoz Tractionator rear and Pirelli scorpion Rally up front...very impressed with this combo
    seancampbell likes this.
  16. craighkzn

craighkzn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    0BFE9DE7-0C53-4927-8ADF-758BB006957E.png
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  17. ICBiker

ICBiker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am using the Mefo Super Explorer on the rear and a Pirelli MT-21 on the front. I do mostly dirt and gravel roads and find this to be a pretty good combo.

[​IMG]
    twinrider likes this.
  18. advdoctor

advdoctor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just FYI, had a bad tank slapper problem with my MotoZ tractionator adventure up front. Rear great.
  19. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks just going to try rear.Have not heard much good on front.
  20. Drif10

Oddometer:
    Still haven't gotten any feedback on the 2.0 version of the front Adventure. I've heard that it's available, but not seen any commentary on it.