Tire options for Africa Twin

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by BRITTURB, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    The rear works AWESOME!!! I have over 6K miles on it, and still plenty of tread left.

The front provided good traction, but a very short life. It also got very loud and vibey as it neared the end of its life.

I am currently running a Shinko 804 up front, and while it is very smooth on the pavement, it lacks enough bite in the dirt.

Still looking for a better front solution. I am thinking about trying an IRC Battle Ralley TR8 on the front. I have run one on the front of my KTM 640 Adventure for years and really like it.

http://www.irc-tire.com/en/mc/products/dual/tr8/
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  2. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bob.I see I could buy 3 for the price of 1 goldyntire tire.
  3. ICBiker

ICBiker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yooper_Bob what kind of mileage did you get out of the TR8? I just bought a couple on sale for my Dual Sport but they look like they might work quite well on the AT also.
  4. WoodrowBDR

WoodrowBDR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whats the speed rating on the tr8?
  5. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    I have gotten well over 5K miles on the TR8 on the front of my 640 Adventure, and the tire still has plenty of life left in it. Riding was a 40/60 pavement/dirt mix.

The load index is 51, which is rated for 430#.

The speed index is P, which is 94 MPH.
    WoodrowBDR, Bt10 and Junglejeff1 like this.
  6. refokus

refokus Hmmmmmm Supporter

Oddometer:
    Round rubber is the best.
  7. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought I knew what tires I wanted until I read this thread sheeeshhh! My AT is mostly used for gravel roads long tours (Dempster Hwy) and some easy trails I have an FE501 for anything more extreme. I settled on Mitas E07 Dakar but am a little concerned about the front in any type of mud, any feedback from someone that has used them would be nice, or maybe not :)
  8. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't know about front but watch out in light mud with back.If the tire cannot sink into mud it slides out super easy.I try to keep throttle real neutral when crossing the mud puddle type shallow mud.Put me on my ass a few times.805 shinko ain't no better but drives forward nice.
    devildogg likes this.
  9. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, well I guess I will keep my riding to days that are sunny 18 to 20 degrees Celsius, no wind, and no rain, sleet, hail or snow. :)
  10. Dillo

Dillo Almost Awesome

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

I'm running Shinko 705s right now but I just signed up for the Pine Barrens Adventure Class in April so I'm going to need something a bit more aggressive. When I asked the PBAC guys what tires they recommend they sent over this list:

Good Adventure tires for Riding classes:
    Kenda K784 Big Block
    Continental TKC 80
    Dunlop D606
    Anakee 3 Wild
    Shinko 804 front/805 rear
    VeeRubber VRM-401
    Mitas MC60
    Mitas E10
    Pirelli MT21
    Bridgestone TW301 front / TW302
    Motoz Tractionator Adventure (tested by PBAC, latest version held up just fine)
    ---------------------------
    Minimum standard:
    K270
    IRC GP1
    Heidenau K60 Scout
    Mitas E-07
    Mefo Explorer
    Metzeler Karoo 3
    Not acceptable
    Shinko 705's
    Anakee 3
    M40 Full Bore
    Pirelli MT60
    TKC 70
    Metzler Tourance EXP
    Bridgestone Battlewings

Right now I ride ~70% street but I'd like to go for something in the first category while I learn to ride more aggressive terrain off road, and then I might step down do something like the E-07 for next year. My plan is to run the 705s until just before the class, swap to a more dirt-focused tread for the class, and then run that tire through the end of August when my off-road season more or less ends. While I'll be riding off road more in the summer, I do still commute on the bike, I work as a moto-ref for bicycle racing, and also all of the trails are at least an hour away by highway. So as always mileage is a concern.

People have been reporting good mileage with the Tractionator Adventure in back, and then in front I'll probably go for a TKC80/804/Big Block. Does anyone have a better suggestion, or is that the best I'm likely to find?
  11. danptobin

danptobin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had the bee rubber, Shinco and tkc80 on my tiger and they did ok. The vrubber seemed to give the most grip. It looks like the tkc but is softer. Good grip short life. Shinco is best bang for the buck. Front i liked more then tkc80 rear does slide out alittle easier in mud but niether is great in mud. Vee rubber is hard to find in ny but if you want traction and not worried about mileage it's best of the three. Tks are on my at at the moment when they wear out I'll try goldentyre 723
  12. PistolPetey

PistolPetey Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is a great tire list. Thank you for sharing!

I ran Kenda Big Blocks for 6400 kms, 60% off-road (gravel/dirt) 40% tarmac. Both tires were 90% smoked at the end of that. I got better mileage out of TKC 80's with the same type of riding, and I found the TKC 80's to be better in the mud/sand (although not much better).
  13. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Motaz back with with mt21 front would be my pick on that list.
  14. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 804 and tkc are not great in soft or mud.Having a tractonator on back will push those past there dirt limit in front.
  15. Dillo

Dillo Almost Awesome

Oddometer:
    How's the MT21 front tire on pavement? Is the mileage ok?
  16. Zave

Zave ******

Oddometer:
    I didn't like the MT 21 on the pavement on my xr400 (to swermy) but it was my favorite dual sport front. I don't think i would run it on the AT unless most of your riding is off road. A 606 rear and MT21 was my go to combo for the xr400.
  17. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    1000 mile tire on hardtop and not good on pavement.It is 90% dirt.
  18. Dillo

Dillo Almost Awesome

Oddometer:
    I think I might go with something else then.
  19. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The goldyntire would solve all problems.But they are pricy.
  20. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Picked
    Picked up a set of tractionator,s cheap.Will just run out the front.Got the set for 200 with about 50 miles on them.Most likly will try goldyntire on front when tractionator is shot.Be burning them up in your county this spring.
    simmons1 and Yooper_Bob like this.