Tire options for Africa Twin

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by BRITTURB, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Zave

Zave ******

Oddometer:
    The weather was good enough to get the ol AT out and the problem i had with the front tire is really starting to drive me nuts. I have a shinko 804 and the bike hops like its out of round i balanced it 3 times anyone else have this kind of problem before?
  2. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There must be something wrong with it.I wore one out last summer and it was great till it got 6000 miles on it.Does the bead look like it's even all the way around the rim.I have my 2cd on now with over 2000 on and was great till I parked bike for winter.
  3. Zave

Zave ******

Oddometer:
    It's not perfect but it not that bad either i guess i will put the oem back on to compare. Some say adjusting the preload might help but that doesn't make a lot of sense me.
  4. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is pretty silly.You may have just got a shit tire.But if the bead is not perfect it could do it.Did you have to use a ton of weight to ballance it.I was b told at a bike shop if a tire needs to much lead it can cause wierd problems.At least it's not a 200$ tire.
    Zave likes this.
  5. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had to deflate them a couple times when I put them on and then over pressure (me bad)and bop tire with dead blow a few times.Soapy water always helped me.
    Zave likes this.
  6. Zave

Zave ******

Oddometer:
    Quite a bit of weight yes, maybe i will try an e10
  7. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I remember rite the shinko did not have a mark to line up on the stem.For the hell of it I would pop the bead loose and spin the tire 180 on rim and reballance.If that don't work chuck it.Back in the 80,s when I worked at a universal bike shop we had to watch what color the mark was.If it was red it went opposite the stem.Of course the tire manufacturer is not that great at letting us know these little things.If you got it from rocky Mountain or revzilla they will often credit you on a bad tire.Rocky credited a few of the early tractionator,s because they were chunkier out rite away.
  8. Zave

Zave ******

Oddometer:
    ya i already did the spin, the mark on the Shinko's signifies the light side so the stem should be on the dot i tried it the opposite ways as well with no luck i think you are right bum tire. I contacted dual sport but they didn't seem interested in returning it so time to shit can it. I hope it's not the rim. What are you running on the front?
  9. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 2cd 804 at moment.Switching to motaz in front because I have one.Going to go to more agressive dirt tires because shinko,s to street biased.
  10. Zave

Zave ******

Oddometer:
    I just ordered a TKC 80 front on "sale" at Fortnine not to crazy expensive
  11. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    They handle about the same as the shinko.If we did not have so much deep sand (deep for a 500 lb bike)I would use one on the AT.Since I am not much of a asphalt rider going more knobby for now.Wish I had a extra set of rims but pricy.
  12. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The e10 would be my kind of tire.Probably wears pretty fast a shit on hardtop but bet it's good in dirt.Looks like a full knobby.I have a enduro cross tire on my yz that works fantastic offroad and the thing says dot legal on it.Was a new take off off a beta.Another tire that could be fun.
    Zave likes this.
  13. mike996

mike996 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Recently put on TKC-80 front and EO7 rear. So far I'm quite impressed. Better than the OEM's in every way. (Especially on wet road). Can't wait to use them on this year's WBDR trip.
    Zave likes this.
  14. danptobin

danptobin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Let the air out pop the beads then turn the tire on the rim about 180 degrees (carefully not to pull on the tube). Then reinflate and recheck balance
  15. Zave

Zave ******

Oddometer:
    I did that already
  16. Wayward Gypsy

Wayward Gypsy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm about to switch over to a Karoo 3 front, and Mitas E-07 rear. I've heard nothing but praise for this combo.
  17. Dillo

Dillo Almost Awesome

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking about going that direction too, or possibly a TKC80 in front.
  18. AZ Africa Twin

AZ Africa Twin From the AZ High Country

Oddometer:
    Look at the Shinkos, not pricey but a very good tire off and on road.
    rbsride365 likes this.
  19. Dillo

Dillo Almost Awesome

Oddometer:
    I was thinking about running the 804/805 combo but I'd rather go with the e07 in back for the extra mileage.
  20. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good choice.I have used both on AT.In the back they work about same offroad and I give the edge to the midas on road.I got about 2000 more miles out of E 07.I ran mine with 804 on front and good combo.