Tire options for Africa Twin

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by BRITTURB, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Muddler

Muddler Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very good for a non-knobby 90:10 tyre. They went better off road then I thought they would
  2. maddoggie501

maddoggie501 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just installed the Dunlop Missions. So far great on the street. No noticeable difference than the stock tires. I've done a test off road on a smooth damp hard packed surface and they stuck like glue. They also stopped without excessive skidding. The stock tires would slide and skid way more than the Missions. They give me a lot more confidence off road.
  3. Ian-NH

Ian-NH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I see quite a few of you guys referencing the Shinko 804/805.

When I got look them up all I find is "TL" for tubeless. Can these be used on tubed rims or are you guys all going tubeless?

I want something more aggressive than my stock tires but everything I find is tubeless

Also, quite a few more options open up if you switch to the 140/80-18, any thoughts on this skinnier tire?

Thanks

Ian
  4. leethal

leethal 3 wheel Monarch #37

Oddometer:
    TL Shinko is fine with tube. I run mine tubeless now though.......far easier.
  5. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Putting a 3rd set on mine and they work just fine with tubes.They only last about 6k but good do it all tire except the front don't like mud.
  6. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do any tires truly like mud?
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  7. RoyQ

RoyQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    On my 2nd set, they work really well for me. Fast on pavement and good enough on gravel which is about as far as I go with a 500# +/- motorcycle. I get decent mileage from them when not pushed hard in tight corners all the time. Very good mileage on the straight slabs.
  8. AZT2

AZT2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just put the Motoz Tractionator GPS on the front and rear (50-50). So far I like them on the road as well as in the dirt and mud. I did not find them loud as some say. The front does not track the road snakes as the OEM tires did.
    Lost Cartographer likes this.
  9. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear another positive review. That's what I plan on getting when tire time comes.
  10. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The motaz adventure,s are the loud ones.
  11. Motociclo

Motociclo Former Af Twin owner!

Oddometer:
    20200106_201432.jpg Onto second set of Motoz GPS. Got 25k km out of front. Getting about half that for rear.
    Been quite happy with them. Balance well also.
  12. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    I am as well. I'm about 3k miles into my 2nd set. I pulled the previous off at 7400 miles. There was probably another 500-750 left on rear, tons left on the front, but wanted to compare another front tire. It balanced with a fraction of the weight and runs smoother than the previous. At this point, I have no reason to try anything else. Its perfect for where and how I ride.
  13. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damit I was hoping they did better than that.Replacing the shinko,s every 6 to 7k and was hoping for the unicorn 10k.Still going to try a gps in back after I burn up a new set of shinko,s I have setting in corner.
  14. Amphib

Oddometer:
    I was hoping for more as well, but I am heavy handed and usually on the low end of milage estimates. An easier rider, less rough, rocky riding could get quite a bit more out of it. Plus my estimate could be off as well. The old ones were pulled prior to my Thanksgiving trip.

20191116_162615.jpg
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  15. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess I am screwed on it anyway using the bike for all 2 up riding.Maby if I cut the food off to wifey and get her down to 100 lbs it will help lol.
    Amphib likes this.
  16. Amphib

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    Curious what I'd get out of a shinko for better comparison. I've never run them, but given you're getting 6-7k, which sounds great, maybe worth a try on the GPS. From reading, it sounds like you're on the high side of milage estimates. I was thinking, from trying to compare other reviews, that I might get 5k out of that tire. One of these days I should probably give it a try.
  17. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    5k would be better but I run them till I hit the carcass. Does the gps slide out easy in mud?I tried a standard E-07 with the center strip so that solid center on that GPS spooks me a bit.The shinko slides out easy but the midas put me on my ass a few times.
  18. Amphib

Oddometer:
    Ive been shocked how well they do in mud. Of course I adjust my riding accordingly, but mud has not put me down yet <knocks on wood >.

If you're running tires to the carcass, I'd sure think you'll get 10k easy on the GPS. At 4ply there's a massive amount of rubber on those tires. I'm usually out solo and many times not sure what I'll be getting into so I always want tread on my tires. Personally I think they do better than they look.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  19. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    When they get down on rubber I stay out of the nasty stuff.Its not that I am cheap but hate changing the back tire.Wish they were like my trials bikes.Can almost yank those off by hand there so soft.
    Amphib likes this.
  20. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD Supporter

Oddometer:
    "TL" with tubes is fine.
    But if you're going with 140/80/18 try to keep pressures above 30 psi.
    I forgot to air up from about 28 psi on a MotoZ Desert H/T and ripped off the valve stem after some twisty roads.