Tire options for Africa Twin

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by BRITTURB, Jun 15, 2017.

1. MOAC Man

MOAC Man Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. MOAC Man

MOAC Man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have used an Mitas E07 Dakar rear and Rockrider up front with some success this passed Summer in Central and South BC’s forest roads.
  3. LegionarCRO

LegionarCRO Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can follow up on this now. The TKC80 front and Motoz GPS rear have been great for me. I had about 7k miles on them when I wrecked my '17. I had turned the TKC when it started to get wedge shaped and probably had at least another 1k miles on the tires. More if I cared to run them all the way bald. I put the same tires, as I had them already to replace the ones on my '17, on my new '19 immediately. The only thing I might try differently is the future is a Michelin Anakee Wild front in place of the TKC80.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  5. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to know,not sure yet on a front tire but my next tire on rear will be a GPS.
  6. sheath

sheath Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What are your thoughts for the possible change up between the TKC80 and AW for the front?
    Are you looking for better performance in a certain area, more mileage, or another reason?
  7. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mostly just curious. I'm really quite satisfied with the TKC80. With a rotation it'll last as long as a Motoz GPS rear. Grip is pretty good on and off road. I've not tested it much in wet conditions as I try not to ride in the rain. It's just the classic old tech vs new tech thought.

The AW is supposed to be long wearing without the need to rotate it halfway through. I also know Michelin car tires (only brand I'll buy) do great on wet roads and was wondering if the AW might be like that too. Not critical, but nice to have.

Biggest drawback I can find for the AW over the TKC80 is the speed rating. R vs T, respectively. Not critical either, but the bike can exceed an R speed rating, but but so much the T.

I also think about the Motoz Adventure rear tire too. Probably doesn't meet my usual riding needs as much, but looks like a good option for when a more aggressive tire is called for. Probably won't last as long as the GPS and also only has a Q speed rating.

I ride quite a bit of pavement, a good deal of unpaved roads, a little sand, and very little mud. Many would probably say I don't even need the front knobby, but it's just my preference.
    sheath likes this.
  8. sheath

sheath Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool! yeah it's fun to try new things. Sometimes we stumble into greatness, other times we just get a better understanding of what to expect.
    William Wolfen likes this.