Tire options for Africa Twin

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by BRITTURB, Jun 15, 2017.

1. zoodio

zoodio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do NOT by. Vee tire. Put a new one on in Calgary and it's smooth as a baby's butt by the time I got to Dawson City. Heading to Anchorage to get a new tire after D2D. It was wore out at about 1800km. Thought I would try them after the adverts was that a mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Ditched the stock tires for E07's. Had also converted the rims to tubeless at the same time.

Well, the front was a tube type, and needed air every day. After some reading, and much shopping around for stock, I've got the Motoz Tractionator Adventures mounted now.

I really liked the E07's, had over 100k on them on my GSA. But they leaked.

So I tried the Motoz. I'm really liking these.

I'll follow up them after I geta free more days on them.
  3. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Stock Dunlop tires. Got 15041 out of the first set. Currently at 235XX miles (so almost 9000 miles) on 2nd set of stock Dunlop tires.
    mkn likes this.
  4. jmarleau

jmarleau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just replaced my Shinko 804/805. Ran these to 10,000km. The rear is shot, and the front has one of the weirdest wear patterns I have ever seen. Essentially every other block is worn down. I do air these down but maintain a 29/36psi for the road. I always replace both tires when the rear wears down. As a result, I have 4 or 5 front tires with 50% in my garage. Not the case with this set. They are both shot. However I will stand by my belief that this is one of the best tires for the Africa Twin. Mostly due to the round profile Vs. TKC80. New set spooned on last night.

[​IMG]
    twinrider likes this.
  5. Shredahead

Shredahead Old and in the way

Oddometer:
    Hey Drif, what did you use for the tubeless conversion on the AT? And now using the Tractionator Adventures, are they working well and holding pressure?
  6. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at?

Oddometer:
    I used the Outex tubeless kit to convert mine. Funny when I changed tires yesterday, the whole tubeless setup looks way better than when I did the installation. The miles and time holding the pressure have ironed out any wrinkles, and they look great.
  7. mkn

mkn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    wow that's impressive mileage!!
  8. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    @Shredahead I used the Outex kit as well. The rear was awesome from day one, and like Michael said, looks really good and well sealed on the tire change.

The front, I had two leaked that I had to fix. In retrospect, I think that a combination of my garage not being warm enough, plus the front rim tapes being bit wide for the valley, plus my lack of experience, made for these two leaks.

Both spoke leaks I repaired easily, and now it's solid.

I run tire pressure monitors, so I've been closely watching pressures change due to heat and conditions. It's good.
  9. immoody

immoody Adventurer

Oddometer:

Do you have a picture of the rear 805 with 10000 km? I don't think I will get near that mileage out of mine.
  10. Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet Go to ludicrous speed!

Oddometer:
    I am running the Shinko 804/805 combo and I really like them so far. Have ~ 2500 miles on them and the front looks great, the back is wearing evenly but looks like they will last about 4-5k, but I have to say, almost all those miles are road miles as I am still recovering from an accident and my Doc doesn't want me to do any off road (actually, he never said I could ride a motorcycle yet. I asked if I could ride a bicycle, he agreed, and I just extrapolated a little...). There is a good bit of highway @ 70-80 mph, a good amount of twisties in the North GA mountains, and some back roads. For the small amount of dirt I have done, maybe 100 miles, they have felt very comfortable.

On my GSA I ran TKC front and Heidi rear, though in the winter I liked to run a TKC rear (got about 3K). Liked the TKC, but you could feel the knobs. Wasn't crazy about the Heidi, but I would get about 9k out of each. So far the Shinko's have been amazingly quiet and you really can't feel the knobs buzzing. With the low cost, If I can get 6k out of them I will keep buying them.
  11. PhaseShifter

PhaseShifter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The old tires did a 7000km+ service and still looked brand new
    With TKC70 's and Outex conversion, it is a major step forward in grip
    It is a 100% improvement in compare with the sh*tty original Dunflop's
  12. michaeln

Oddometer:
    There has gotta be something different about those who are getting long mileage on the Shinkos. In 2000 miles, my rear was squared off and almost gone, and the front was severely cupped and had a 3/8" hop in it.

I weigh 270lbs and habitually trail brake. I use the front brake way harder than the rear. I don't carry passengers or more than about 15 lbs of luggage. Those were mostly street miles, and very little highway droning, lots of twisty country mountain roads. I ran 29F, 33R PSI.

How about those who are getting the great wear numbers?
    neanderthal likes this.
  13. michaeln

Oddometer:
    Installed GoldenTyre GT723 front & rear. Them are some beefy tars!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Junglejeff1 and immoody like this.
  14. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    I am 225lbs, ride in D almost all the time, stick to pavement, mostly commuting to work and back. The occasional day trip, no load, just me and my backpack. But, my tires, being stock tires, are optimised for street riding, and don't wear quite as quickly as off road tires. That's just the nature of things.
  15. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure about the AT but I had heidenau k60 on my Stelvio and they were brilliant. Long mileage also.
  16. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You did rear only, as I recall?

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk
  17. michaeln

Oddometer:
    I did both front and rear.
  18. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You have a combined weight of 800+ pounds on them before adding luggage. From the look of the rear knobs in earlier pics, looks like some pretty agressive riding was happening somewhere. I've always had long treadlife from the 804/5s, which is why reading your mileage is a headscratcher.

19. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    They definitely look the part!

20. Brokebrute

Brokebrute Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I find that knobbies prefer more pressure on the pavement I run 40psi in my TKC80s and got 12,000 miles out of my 1st one and have over 9,000 miles on my 2nd one. I'm going to try 804/805 combo for my next set and plan on running 40psi in it too. The low pressure allows the single knob to push into the tire and wareout the double knobs.
    michaeln likes this.