Tire options for Africa Twin

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by BRITTURB, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Nikoutdoor

Nikoutdoor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maximum pressure for the 805 is 33 PSI cold.
  2. Brokebrute

Brokebrute Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was talking about the front tire pressure max on the 804 is 42psi and 39psi on the TKC80 front. The 805 will be the 1st knobby rear tire I have ran on this bike. I have been running the E07 rear and changing it at the same time as the front.
  3. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I ran mine at 36.25 psi (250 kpa). Zero issues and lasted well.
  4. apexfiend

apexfiend Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the Motoz Tractionator, so far they have been great.
  5. immoody

immoody Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The sidewall of Shinko 805 shows maximum pressure of 33 psi. The Shinko website list the maximum pressure as 41 psi for the 150/70-18 tire. I also read here on Advrider that someone had contacted Shinko and was told max pressure was 41 psi. I have been running mine at 38-40 psi. I have about 2000 miles on it probably 85% on pavement the rest on gravel. The tire will last another 1000 to 1500 miles max.
    Nikoutdoor likes this.
  6. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at?

Oddometer:
    I just emailed goldentyre.us to get clarification on the 33PSI MAX on the sidewall of the 150/70x18 GT723.

EDIT: GoldenTyre responded, and on a Sunday yet.

We recommend you start with the motorcycle's recommend PSI and adjust from that point to fit your style and conditions. The GT723 is a very dynamic tire and can be used both on and off the road. As with all adventure tires, the PSI requirements will change with load, average speed, weather and available grip. You can also contact Alex from Konflict Motorsports as he has the most experience with that particular set of tires. He has tested with team Honda and he owns a well respected suspension company.

You can call me anytime and we can discuss your exact needs as well as any findings you wish to share with other users. We like to share setups and reviews with the adventure community to better develop the use of the GT723 and our other tires.

So, I have pinged Alex both here and at Konflict.
  7. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which model Tractionator? Adventure or GPS?
  8. apexfiend

apexfiend Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Adventure
  9. CrStep

CrStep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm seriously considering the GPS tires for my next set. I'm more of a 70/30 rider.
  10. michaeln

Oddometer:
    OK talked with Alex and with another inmate here who is running the GT723s on an AT. Alex said about 30F/35R, the other inmate said about the same, so I have set them at 30F/36R... but it is 108F here today, too hot for me to ride. Maybe this evening I will ride up Highway 4 and see how they work.
    CrStep likes this.
  11. jmarleau

jmarleau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rear Shinko 805 at 10,000km

[​IMG]

Well... Almost 10,000km

[​IMG]
    NSFW, immoody and twinrider like this.
  12. immoody

immoody Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks for the pictures. How much air pressure were you running in it?
  13. Benly

Benly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Still some tread left on it, for the street anyway.
  14. motofabio

motofabio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Shinko E-804/805

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. michaeln

Oddometer:
    First ride on the GoldenTyre GT723s this morning. I rode up California Highway 4 to Lake Alpine early this morning. No dirt, just twisty mountain road, and not all real good pavement. This road gets torn up in the winter from the snow plows and so the surface has lots of uneven patches.

First impression is these are way more responsive to my steering and body weight shifting movements, and they are also quite sensitive to grooves and seams in the road as compared with the worn out Shinko 804/805 combo I was running. I think a lot of it has to do with the Shinkos being flat in the middle where the GTs are considerably rounder in cross section even when the Shinkos are new.

I ran them at 30 PSI Front and 38 PSI Rear. I am 270lbs, no passenger, light load in the panniers.

I need to get them on some of my favorite patches on patches tight twisties and some forest service roads still, but it is really hot here right now (108F yesterday) so this morning was a leave the house at 5AM and home by 8AM quicky.
    CrStep likes this.
  16. michaeln

Oddometer:
    Well, rode the GT723s on my favorite twisties this morning. I don't like 'em.

The rear is way too squirmy, not nearly as stable-feeling as the Shinko E-805. Probably works great off-road, but I spend 90% of my time on the street, and the constant squirming around of the rear tire is a deal breaker for me. I have no particular complaint about the front, but that may just be because the rear tire is so distracting.

The squirming was so bad that at one point I thought I had a flat tire and stopped to check pressures. Pressures were up, I think it is just the knobs flexing. Probably would not bother a dirt rider, but it sure bothers me. I was running 30 PSI front, 38 PSI rear.

I am gonna yank 'em with only a couple hundred street miles on them and install the set of Motoz Tractionator GPS I have here waiting. I think those will be better suited to my needs.

Before someone else mentions it, I weigh 270 lbs (apparently I am required to post that info in any post where I am critical of anything), and other than my lard ass, the bike is lightly loaded, no passenger.
  17. SunValley

SunValley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ordered Motoz Tractionator GPSs last week. Look forward to a little more stability off-road. Running stock Dunlops at the moment.
  18. zgfiredude

zgfiredude Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just got the bike and it came with the 805 on the rear, and a Kenda Big Block front. Thus far the Kenda is only good for ON pavement. I hate it off road and it really hates sand....the rear is a different story, I like it everywhere but don't yet know how it will last.

The front has got to go.
  19. CrStep

CrStep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Please report your impressions when you can.
  20. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Midas E-07,s.listed as a 50/50 but in my opinion they are more like 70/30.they wear well also.