Tire options for Africa Twin

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by BRITTURB, Jun 15, 2017.

1. racer

racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    That being 70 street, 30 off road?
  2. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes.lateral grip in lite mud is not good.They work great on street.Sand just ok.The shinko on front works great everywhere except sand and mud also.For off road this heavy pig needs real knobbies.70%street
    BMacW650 likes this.
  3. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been looking at the 'Adventure' Vs the 'GPS.' Seems that the Adventure has a tread that is closer to a Shinko 805 wheras the GPS is closer to a Heidenau K60.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk
  4. Squily

Squily Squily

Oddometer:
    Dunlop 908 on the rear. Get over 8kkm on one.

Whatever is in stock and will give some grip on the front, e.g. MT21, 606, T63. New TKC80 in the shed going on (hopefully this weekend)
  5. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    20170622_173856.jpg 20170622_173826.jpg both tires have 4200 miles on them.E07 rear ,shinko front.For a street bias rider the Midas tires are great.I heavily abuse my rear.It has many wheelies and a lot of spin up,s in dirt.Both tires see 90 mph on tarmac quite often.If I am not abusing them I am riding 2 up with wife.
  6. CraigBKK

CraigBKK I ride to both find and forget myself...

Oddometer:
    Off on a long trip through Laos to the Mue Ne Desert tomorrow in Southern Vietnam so swapped out my Motoz Tractionator GPS rear for a slightly worn Tractionator Adventure.

The GPS has been an amazing tyre both on road and on rocks/gravel, in both directions. This tyre has over 11,700km on it and still has 5mm of tread left. Recommended!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bilo and Lost Cartographer like this.
  7. Reduke

Reduke Dirt tourer

Oddometer:
    Had Motoz Tractionator Adventures on for 3500km now. I wouldn't buy the front tyre again. Noisy and feels squirrelly on sealed bitumen. Follows tar snakes quite bad. It will put the bike over the white line into the other lane if you aren't on the ball. Hardly worn at all but because it's so hard isn't very good off road and washes out a lot in sand.
    The rear is nearly stuffed after only 500km sealed roads and 3000km gravel and off road tracks. Probably another 500km in it. Feels good on sealed roads and ok on gravel but doesn't feel like it hooks up very well off-road. Don't know why it hasn't lasted when some report getting 8-10000km out of it.
    Got a 5000km trip coming up mostly off-road with a heap of sand riding so thought I'd try something else.
    Squily from Esperance has had a good run out of the Dunlop 908rr , does a heap of sand riding and talks them up so thought I'd try that on the rear and a Pirelli Scorpion Rally on the front. Both are fairly aggressive off-road tyres so should be good in the sand.
    Turned up today in the post.
    IMG_2419.JPG IMG_2413.JPG
  8. CraigBKK

CraigBKK I ride to both find and forget myself...

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't put the Tractionator Adventure front on again either. I'm running a Tractionator Desert H/T at the moment. Started to cup at about 4,000km. Will need changing after this trip.
  9. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at?

Oddometer:
    I have heard many good reports about the Tractionator GPS rear tire, but have not heard much about the GPS front. Anyone here have experience with the GPS front tire?
  10. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    So many factors and preferences go in to what makes a good to tire for you.

I'm really liking the Motoz Adventures. I don't find them following tar snakes at all, and mileage wise at 2k kms they look barely used.

I'm not disputing Reduke's observations at all, I've no reason to think he's misrepresenting anything.

I would submit that his riding locale vice my own is likely the reason for our differences. I'm in the eastern region of Ontario in Canada. Been a lot of rain this spring, most of the trails and backroads are in awesome shape when wet, think: wet beach. Grip it and rip it.

Just ran in to town in the pouring rain. Even on T2, I couldn't light up the rear in second. Roads here tend to be kinda polished, so that impressed me. I could light up the stock 610 on these conditions, btw.

Previously, was running Mitas E07. About the same wet weather grip. Not as good off-road.

I'm interested to see the life I'll get out of the Motoz. Pricier than the Mitas, but if they last within 25% off what I get out the Mitas, I'll be happy.

One caveat: a 150 rear is a unicorn up here, took a chance, running a 140. Had done this on my 640adv years ago, it had worked out very well, so tried it now. Motoz 140 is physically bigger than the Mitas E07 150.
  11. motofabio

motofabio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Question: my front Shinko E-804 was just okay off road. Lost points in the sand and gravel. Obviously that's a challenging surface for any tire/motorcycle. I'm wondering who has had a tire with what they'd consider to be "good" grip in sand and gravel. Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hear the Golden Tyre GT723 is good on sand but loses points on tarmac because of stability issues, as with most tires that are good in sand

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk
    michaeln likes this.
  13. Mudslingr

Mudslingr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I run a K60 rear and a TKC 80 front. I just got back from a run along some scattered gravel on hard packed dirt roads Love the TKC 80 but the K60 was all over the place. I don't know if any tire would've done any better though. However it's very good on tarmac.
  14. retired motoman

retired motoman LifeIsShort,EnjoyTheRide!

Oddometer:
    Putting on third rear TKC 70's. Rear good for 7000 miles front over 10k. Good on the slab and gravel.
  15. CaptainKP

CaptainKP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have about 400 miles on the Karoo 3s. On dirt/gravel I was pleasantly surprised - I was lighting the throttle up and felt very in control.

With wet pavement: I can slide the rear end easily if my parking lot is wet but I rode for 20 minutes in the rain today on pavement and didn't feel anything scary. But this seems to be a weak point people bring up about the tires.
  16. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anything that works in sand is not going to work well on pavement.Even blue groove mx tires suck in sand.I ride in a lot of sand in Michigan and a lot of it is deep surger.The only thing that works well is long widely spaced knobbies . Going to try the 90/100 Golden tyre on front to try to hold up the weight of this bike in front a little.
    motofabio likes this.
  17. timetoridw

timetoridw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I run Shinkos 804/805. Put them on the bike when I picked it up from the dealership. Loved them on my KLR and love them on the AT. I went to Mitas e09 for the second set because Shinkos were on back order. Good off road but the front tire chased every groove in the road. Couldn't wait to get them off the bike. Back to the Shinkos.

I got 5500 miles out of the Shinkos and 4000 out of the Mitas.

TTR

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  18. michaeln

Oddometer:
    Got the Motoz Tractionator GPS front and rear mounted. Did the rear yesterday, could not get the bead to seat enough to hold air. Took it to gas station that sells lots of car & truck tires, their big compressor wouldn't seat the bead either. They charged up their bead seater tank and that seated it. So got it home, balanced and onto the bike.

Pulled the front off this morning. I was worried when I saw the new front tire, because the two beads were only about 1/4" apart prior to mounting. I knew getting them to seal was going to be a problem. Got it mounted on the wheel, but am completely unable to get the beads to hold air. That gas station is closed today (Sunday). I tried a ratchet strap around the circumference, very very tight, still no joy.

I even tried the old starter fluid / fire / explosion method, and all it did was catch the tire on fire (about five seconds, I smothered it out). So, back to the gas station tomorrow and have them blow it on with their bead seater.

I ordered a bead seater from Amazon so I will be prepared for this crap in the future.

Just a note: This is not my first rodeo. I worked for 3 years as the sole tech in a small motorcycle shop that sold lots of tires. I figure I have probably mounted several hundred tires, and none ever fought me as hard as these.
    davidji and chrshale01 like this.
  19. michaeln

Oddometer:
    The bead on the front Motoz Tractionator GPS popped into place easily at the gas station with their bead seater. Glad I have one on order, I think it will come in useful from time to time.

Balanced on my Marc Parnes balancer (what a great little balancer!) and reinstalled the front wheel. Took the bike with the new front and rear Tractionator GPS (could they have thought of a dumber name?) on front and rear for a cautious test ride (these are the slickest, greasiest new tires I have had on a motorcycle).

Immediate impressions: nice smooth predictable turn-in, very stable, very quiet (compared to the GT723 and 805). Going on a longer ride tomorrow with a buddy and will get them thoroughly scrubbed in. I should know the tires pretty well by the end of that ride, my buddy is VERY fast.
    motofabio likes this.
  20. CrStep

CrStep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report.