Tire options for Africa Twin

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by BRITTURB, Jun 15, 2017.

1. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at?

Oddometer:
    320 miles of Sierra Nevada twisties today on the Motoz Tractionator GPS setup.

The rear is a keeper. Very nice cornering and feels very natural, no squirming like the GoldenTyre GT723.

The front is strange feeling. Turn-in is nice, but it has an unstable kind of wobbly feeling in corners. At about 100MPH there was a wobble that was pretty scary.

I think this 320 mile ride is enough to break them in. Guess the hunt for a front tire goes on. Maybe a Pirelli MT90.
  2. CrStep

CrStep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you planning on riding any dirt or gravel soon to do more testing? I appreciate your report.
  3. michaeln

Oddometer:
    No dirt for me. I am too old and too weak and to timid for dirt riding any more, sorry.
  4. NSFW

NSFW who else would love noobs? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    TKC 80 for me. 1400 miles of pavement and 500 dirt miles. unfortunately, i could not find any new tube type rear???
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. immoody

immoody Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you are not going to ride dirt or gravel anymore you may be better off running a more street oriented tire. If I remember correctly you previously had Shinko 804/805, Goldetyre 723, and now Motoz Tractionator GPS. These all have aggressive tread patterns designed for off-road.

If you ride all street the Continental Trail Attacks seem to get good reviews. I currently have a TKC 80 front and Shinko 805 on the rear. The stock Dunlops were better on the street except when it was wet.

If you want something more 70/30 maybe try Shinko 705, TKC 70, or the Pirelli MT90. I would assume any of these would be better on the street than what you have been using.

I am interested in trying Pirelli Rally STR when they become available. They look like that may be a decent compromise tire.
    chrshale01 likes this.
  6. Mudslingr

Mudslingr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really like my TKC 80 front but since I don't ride off road as much as I thought I would, I will probably go with the TKC 70's next.
  7. Zave

Zave ******

Oddometer:
    Is anyone running E07 rear with E10 front? Also any thoughts on the E10 rear?
  8. briscoelab

briscoelab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had been running a Mefo Super Explorer rear and TKC80 front. Recently switched to a Mefo up front as well and couldn't be happier.
  9. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
    I'm on the fence with next rear tire being Pirelli MT90 or Motoz Tractionator GPS. Thoughts?
  10. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You still have the
    For more street style riding the GPS works good but never used a mt90 so don't know on that one.
  11. michaeln

Oddometer:
    I have the GPS front and rear, very pleased with them for my kind of riding.
    HondaRon 72 likes this.
  12. CrStep

CrStep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the GPS, was also considering the Pirelli. I do have a bit of an extra pulsing vibration from speeds of about 25 to 40mph. I only have 2k miles on them, and I can say I am happy with the road performance. I'm an average rider and they have performed well in torrential rain, and are confidence-inspiring on gravel. I have not yet ridden dirt roads with them. When I received them in the mail, my first thoughts were that they looked far more aggressive than I expected with the deep tread pattern. Time will tell how they last, but first impressions (beyond the vibration) are good. However, I'm of the opinion that for an average rider like myself, the majority of tires will be satisfactory and no unicorn tire exists.
    nk14zp, CraigBKK, Junglejeff1 and 2 others like this.
  13. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't recommend taking either of them onto a fence.......

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk
    Junglejeff1 and chrshale01 like this.
  14. michaeln

Oddometer:
    Were they balanced after mounting? I balanced mine and don't feel what you are feeling.
  15. CrStep

CrStep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, supposedly, but not by me. I have a sneaking suspicion they were not balanced correctly, and I'm going to contact the shop about it. Thank you.
  16. BMacW650

BMacW650 .

Oddometer:
    I always liked the versatility of the K60 tire on my 990adv and got pretty comfortable with it in deep sand riding. (We don't have much mud where I ride). So when I took off the stock tire, I figured I at least give the E07 a try, since it looks very similar to the K60 on paper.

I have the E10 Dakar front, and E07 rear. I don't mind the front at all, but can't get used to the E07 on the back at all. Traction on the sides are just terrible in loose stuff. For now I will take them off and try knobby tires. Eventually I will give K60 a shot on the AT as well.
    Zave likes this.
  17. Zave

Zave ******

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that BMac maybe i will give the E10 all around a shot or a E10 front / tractionator adv rear combo, i'm not hearing a lot of good things about the tractionator front tire.
  18. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nm
  19. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Almost 4k kms in to a set of Motoz Adventures.

The rear it's wearing well, has good bite, I'd buy it again.

The front...no so good. Very heavy scalloping on the center knobs, leading edge almost original height still, trailing edge 2/3rds worn down. These are some tall knobs, so that's a really big transition. Knobs are also chipping off. Not buying these again. They bite well, but unless I buy a knobby knife and perform surgery on this tire, it's close to toast.

Have a tire review going in Equipment with pictures for more info.
  20. ScottDill

ScottDill TANSTAAFL Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jim. I'm about to spoon some TKC's onto the new bike and see how they go for a general purpose tire.