1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Tire pressure dirt vs pavement for Tusk DSport tube type tires?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by kitkat, Apr 21, 2020.

1. kitkat

kitkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, I'm about to install the Tusk DSport tires on my Himalayan, and would appreciate some tire pressure advice.

I'm mainly concerned about the tire pressure on pavement/hwy which I normally cruise at 55-60 mph. RE recommends 25psi front and 32psi rear.

I have never ridden on the hwy with tires this aggressive so I want to ask the experts before I do something potentially stupid or dangerous!

Also, how important is balancing?

Thanks!

PS, I meant to title this "dirt" vs pavement.
  2. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I tend to balance any tire. If I buy tires during a trip, I'll sometimes skip it depending on the circumstance.

IDK that you can do anything really stupid or dangerous at 25/32 psi. I'd start there.

When you ride at 60mph, pull over and put your hand on the carcass and sidewall of each tire. They should be warm, but not overly hot. No, I don't have numbers. If they're too hot, increase the pressure, but I 25/32 should be enough.

For off-road, if you're on a difficult surface, lower the pressure and see if that helps. Without rim locks, you probably don't want to go much below about 15psi. Maybe a little lower. If you ride on the pavement at speed with 15, expect a hotter tire, uneven wear, and tread "cupping".

I have used tires that are in many ways similar but not yet DSports. I have some D-Sports ready to go on, but have not used them yet.
    kitkat likes this.
  3. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use the Tusk tires and I run 16-19 pretty much all the time. I avoid highway riding as much as I can. I mostly ride gravel roads. In my opinion, nearly everyone overinflates.
    Bucho and kitkat like this.
  4. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just put the Tusks on my DR and I ride a fair amount of street. I'm starting at around 28-30 for now just to see how it feels. Went out for a quick put around the other day and they felt fine.
    kitkat likes this.
  5. jfauerba

jfauerba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    32psi was too much for me on pavemnt almost felt like it was on hard loose gravel. Lowered to 25psi and seems fine. While riding with TPMS, have not seen it get above 31psi on pavement in the twisties. Only got 700 miles on them so far and mostly on pavement waiting for forest service roads to reopen.
  6. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    I don't have rimlocks on my DR650. I've run as low as 7-8 lbs in the rear.

If I'm going on a road/dualsport type ride I usually run pressures in the teens. 16/14 (F/R) I'm almost never on the highway.
    DCrider likes this.
  7. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Take note if you install the Tusk Dsport tires: the front is directional, the rear is not. Some dork I know, put his front on backwards and had to do it over. :doh