Tire pressure gauge question

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by DT455A, Jun 29, 2020.

1. DT455A

DT455A Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When u use an tire air pressure gauge you lose a bit of air. Anyone know how much? I seem to lose about a pound of air each time, seems like a lot for that brief time. Just wondering
  2. SPX

SPX Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMO, it depends on the gauge, technique, angle of the valve, and whether you have spoked or cast wheels.

I find the vertical (older) valves cause more air to escape due to the angle that you have to go in at with the gauge. The horizontal/90° valves I can do with basically no air escaping.
  3. DT455A

DT455A Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good info, thanks
  4. 150flyer

150flyer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you think a straight valve looses more air, it’s just because you’re fumbling around trying to square up the the face of the gauge to the opening of the valve and loosing air. Whether the valve is straight or angled or the wheels are spoked or cast has nothing to do with how much air is lost. The amount of air lost depends on how much air a specific gauge must sample for a reading. I have a small digital gauge with no hose that can take half a dozen readings before losing even one pound of air. On the other hand, I have a large analog gauge with a 12 inch hose that looses over a pound of air for each reading.
  5. Barnaby'sDad

Barnaby'sDad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use an old school stick type pressure gauge. With proper technique/alignment, you don’t lose a measurable amount. I go literally weeks without having to add air to my tires.

If you’re losing 1psi or more every time you check your tire pressure...that’s operator error and/or an equipment issue. Ex. Properly align the pressure gauge BEFORE you press down on the valve stem.
    cpallen and side-burn like this.
  6. SPX

SPX Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Perhaps I was unclear, but you’re saying exactly what I was trying to say... of course the wheel type or valve alignment makes no difference, other than how easy it is to square up the valve and the gauge. Aka: user error. ;-)
  7. cpallen

cpallen Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer:
  8. sceep

sceep Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If we're transitioning to show & tell...

I'm a fan of the 0-40 psi Liquid series QuickCar Racing Products 56-041 Tire Pressure Gauge with Swivel Chuck and Relief Valve. The gauge tops just shy of where some may like to set their pressures, but it works well for me across multiple bikes and cars. There's a corresponding 60 psi model -061, but I'm old enough that the easy-reading -041 model works well for me. And it's worked well for over a decade. Now that I've typed this it'll probably fail the next time that I use it.
    cpallen and sceep like this.