Tire sealants

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Granitic, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Granitic

Granitic Backcountry rider

Oddometer:
    Because tires are very stiff compared to tubes, sealants work uniquely well in tubeless setups. You can put sealants in tubes, but tubes stretch enough that the sealant will tend to work its way out of punctures.

I use homemade tire sealant (HTS) in my Tubliss setups and tubeless mountain bike rims. It's basically Stan's Sealant and the recipe is

-16 oz latex mold builder from Hobby Lobby (look online for a discount coupon for any Hobby Lobby purchase)
    -32 oz propylene glycol RV antifreeze (Wal-Mart or any RV supply)
    -37 oz distilled water
    -½ cup cornstarch

Recently I used this latex which is cheaper than HL:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EU9KXS

So my latest batch cost ~$5/qt vs $25/qt for Stans

Do not store mold builder. It will solidify. Once you mix up HTS it has indefinite shelf life.

The cornstarch will settle out. Shake vigorously for a long time. When dispensing, invert the jug to let some cornstarch settle out and go into the tire.

I inject through the valve stem using a Stans injector or drop a section of tire off the rim and ladle it in.

Since switching to HTS from Stans I have not gotten any blobs forming in my tires.

The only problem with HTS and Stans is it evaporates, especially in dry climates and thin mountain bike tires. My policy is to add 2 ounces every 3 months so there is always plenty in the tire.

Recently I got a bike that has Puncture Control Compound (PCC) in the Tubliss.

http://www.hollandercorporation.com/index.php/p9.html

PCC is claimed to be "Very stable; will not dry out, deteriorate, or breakdown." This sounds good, but with shipping PCC is expensive. At the recent discount price of $25/gallon, with shipping it is $10 / quart. Which is still better than Stans and if it lasts longer PCC could be cost effective.

Any experiences with PCC?

Another sealant I came across was Quadboss which is about $12/qt

https://www.amazon.com/QuadBoss-Tire-Sealant-Gallon-0849/dp/B000WK454K

Sounds like it is very thick and better suited to large tires: "I am NOT sure I'd try this in bicycle tubes... It's REALLY thick, snotty, slimy, chunky, oopy/goopy stuff with long strands of gook in it... Really hard to pump in thru the valve stem."

Here is a review of sealants from a cycling perspective:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Things_that_Roll/Tires/Tire_Sealants_2765.html
  2. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    Very interesting, thanks for that.

(I'm on the other band wagon; not putting stuff in my tires.)
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  3. Granitic

Oddometer:
    You are welcome. Between New Mexico cactus spines and Arizona tree spines sealant is not optional for me.
  4. Bowhunter

Bowhunter Single Trackin' & Stick & Stringin'

Oddometer:
    Have you tried Stan's new sealant since he has changed the formula?

Stan's No Tubes is located a few towns over from me, and while doing a land development project for them Stan himself gave me a tour of the facility where they make the sealant, and he discussed in detail his sealant and how the new recipe has addressed the issues with the previous version. After seeing the process and the care that they take in making this sealant, I'll be using Stan's sealant extensively until I find something better.

Great write up by the way. Interesting recipe you came up with.
    spokester and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  5. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am addicted to Stan's but I am willing to give your stuff a try. Thank you for sharing.
  6. asphaltsurfer1

asphaltsurfer1 CatManDew

Oddometer:
    I tried the green slime stuff in my Aprilia once. 120mph and it shoots out to give you green stripe under your fender. Bicycles and maybe dirt bikes but I haven't had much luck on road bike tires. Then again never tried Stans or your home brew.
  7. Granitic

Oddometer:
    No, I have not tried the new stuff. Sounds like it is the same latex but with bigger chunks in it:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/stans-new-race-sealant-review.html

Very interesting about Stan. I spent a LOT of money on Stans and since the HTS works well will probably stick with that. I will try making my own chunky mix by cutting up some inner tubes into small pieces.

I should have made it clear that the HTS recipe came from vast forum discussions, often referring to Open Source Sealant (OSS). Somebody looked up the patent. There are literally hundreds of posts on various compositions and proportions. Then there are discussions on whether to include glitter in the mix, the type of glitter, the size of glitter, whether the glitter should have moons and stars in it, etc. Really all that matters is latex.
    Bowhunter likes this.
  8. Bowhunter

Bowhunter Single Trackin' & Stick & Stringin'

Oddometer:
    Interesting side note was that Stan told me his patent on his sealant doesn't include every ingredient so that it couldn't be copied this way. He didn't tell me what he left out, but he said there was three ingredients that were excluded. I thought this was very interesting, and have never thought of this idea before.
  9. Granitic

Oddometer:
    Not surprised. There are patents and then there are trade secrets. Between the two, a secret sauce can be protected.

I have been surprised that while Stan's often forms large slime blobs, my HTS has never formed these at all. Would have expected the reverse, due to some secret ingredient that keeps them from forming.
  10. Granitic

Oddometer:
    No longer true. I have been seeing some blobs in dirt bike tires with Tubliss.

I have a couple of new techniques for making batches of sealant here, plus a jumbo sealant injector: http://bit.ly/2vYT5fg
  11. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    It has been over 2 years, where are you at with your home made tire sealant?

I have been using Stan’s and like it, but I go though so many tires that the cost of Stan’s is becoming a factor.
  12. Granitic

Oddometer:
    Works extremely well. Would never go back to Stans.

I have begun to think that most of the effect comes from the latex. So I just use cornstarch as particles. I don't know. Should probably try some particles.

A couple of new angles:

I made a big injector for non-trail use and I have started mixing in the cornstarch only when I fill a quart bottle.

Otherwise it is almost impossible to figure out if the cornstarch is all in suspension, even after many minutes of furioius shaking.

Also I am using a clear JetDry bottle so I can SEE the cornstarch.

All of the above is detailed and illustrated here: http://bit.ly/2Ry7zAL