Tire won’t seat. Tried every trick

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by HOTPASS, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello??

Hello?

Is this thing on??

Hey @HOTPASS WTF? What happened?
    DavidR8 and lnewqban like this.
  2. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Web Slinger

Oddometer:
    If you're still having trouble and haven't tried the air blaster, get you some of this for the future. It's goddamn magic. And look up a youtube video on how to use it. So far it's worked for me on both car and bike tires that refuse to seat due to my rather anemic air compressor.

[​IMG]
  3. DC2wheels

DC2wheels Castle Anthrax troll Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree. Got to use GOOD lube.

IMHO Windex isn't- at least not for a stubborn tire/rim.

I use some No-Mar lube.
  4. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming Supporter

Oddometer:
    I mounted a race slick once that would not seat. I was at my shop and had a tire cage. I hooked it up to my nitrogen cylinder and cranked the regulator till it seated with a bang. At 160 psi. Some time later when I went to change the tire, I had to cut the bead with my die grinder to get it back off.
  5. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:

What kind of compressor is adequate for filling the bead blaster? 5 or 10 gallon?
  7. Manywheels

Manywheels Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can’t trust them Chinese... or them Russians. Lol
    Roadracer_Al and FMFDOC like this.
  8. REALGRAVEROBBER

REALGRAVEROBBER LEAVING GRAVES EMPTY

Oddometer:
    Be sure your rim strip (or duct tape) is only in the grooved valley of the rim. Any beyond the groove above the spoke nipples will prevent your tire from seating.

Take it to a car tire shop and ask them to seat it. Big equipment, big volume air supply, tooled up for big car and implement tires.

Spray bead of tire and rim with CARB AND CHOKE CLEANER, this will liquify the top surface of the rubber, allowing it to be slippery. A last-chance tactic I invented.

Change the orientation of the tire on the rim. Maybe a flaw or weird shape of the tire carcass is preventing it from going to its happy place.
  9. mutt465

mutt465 n00b

Oddometer:
    Probably not the OP's problem, but I just had a bunch of trouble seating a bead. So for others having trouble:

A section of my tube was pinched between the rim and tire bead, preventing the bead from seating.

So I broke the bead, pushed the tube in, and got it to seat.
  10. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    A partially inflated tube will help prevent that
  11. ibafran

ibafran villagidiot

Oddometer:
    For tough to seat tires, I gotta agree with better tire lube. I use the stuff from No-Mar. That said, better application helps a lot. One does not have to use a lot. But putting it where it works best is the secret. A light smear all the way around on both tire beads is essential. Another light smear on the rim itself in the best/correct area is my secret. I put a light smear on the spoke well/rim valley from the bead seats down into the valley about half way to the spoke nipples, all the way around. This helps the bead to climb up/slide up out of the spoke well where insufficient lube gets wiped away before the bead can climb onto the seat.
    The tire shop will put the wheel into a safety cage and apply all the psi they want. The home mechanic needs to build some sort of wheel hold/safety straps or use less psi for safety. For myself, if my tire is not seating with 60psi, I will deflate and apply more lube. Also, with 60psi in the as-yet-to-seat tire, I will wait and watch closely to see if the tire is moving slowly. I may wait 15min before giving up. Sometimes I will hit the tire center of tread with heavy mallet, baseball bat, etc to see if it will shock the beads into creeping onto the seats with said 60psi in the tire.
    So far. this has worked for me, lifetime.
    Yes, I have blown a bead over the rim and had the wheel come up and hit me in the face...when I was leaning on the wheel hub while applying a LOT of psi. The experience was so fantastic that I never needed a 'note to self' to remind me not do that again.
    nk14zp likes this.
  12. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short guy

Oddometer:
    My second last rear scooter tire would not seat until I squirted half a bottle of windex on the rim. There was so much it filled in some air leaks just enough to get it to seat.

My last front tire took a bit of Trojan sex lube to seat.

My last rear tire I forgot to lube it and it seated with no effort at all.

I think it depends where the rim of the tire sits in the wheel rim.
  13. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't suggest using high air pressure to seat a motorcycle tire. Folks get injured doing that all the time.

Something else is wrong - use a tightened strap around the perimeter of the tire to draw it closer to the seat, and use an actual tire lube.

[​IMG]

Do NOT use higher and higher pressure - very bad idea.

Oh... and no, it won't make you less of a "man" if you don't! :lol3
    Bar None likes this.
  14. amr2ul

amr2ul Machinery 2 Upper Level

Oddometer:
    Tubed off-road front tire? Won't seat? Step one: spoon one side of the tire out of the rim. Step two: inflate the tube enough to lift the tire bead off the rim enough to get your fingertips between the tire and rim, then feel inside to verify the tube is in straight. Deflate. Step three: lube the bead. The unfortunately named product Rim-Ease works well. Step four: CAREFULLY spoon the bead back into the rim . TAKE YOUR TIME! Once you have it all back in inflate and watch the bead line as you inflate. Look for spots that come up and pay attention to the ones that DON'T. If it fails to seat deflate and use a tire iron to "encourage" those spots. Be careful not to pinch the tube. Be patient. Sometimes it is necessary to repeat the process until it complies. Obviously it may be necessary to do this on both sides.
    If you can't get it done this way take it to a shop and give them money. However, chances are they will do what I just said.
  15. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Love those blue pipes Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    +1

All the people providing "tricks" to get the tire to inflate (i.e. hold air) are missing the issue completely. This tire is holding air perfectly, just not "popping" into a seated position against the rim - it may actually be seating against the rim but, according to the OP, it does not stay there when he airs it back down. Assuming he has not broken the beads by bad installation technique (unlikely as he says he has done this many times) then ether the tire or rim is bad. OP said aftermarket rim so I'd suggest it's just a poor rim design or out of spec manufacture of this particular rim (quality control issue.)

BTW, after numerous over-inflations to 100psi, the tire is quite possibly junk. If I caught a tire shop going that high with a new tire I had just purchased, I would refuse to buy the tire. At some point, over-pressure risks damaging the rim too.
  16. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing after 6 months he's either got it sorted or has moved on with his life.
    sieg likes this.
  17. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe,maybe not....
    [​IMG]

I had this same problem this past Spring with a tire I've used for years.

Just before going 2A, I lowered the psi and placed it in the sun- POP!
  18. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    Advice Overload??? :scratch
    Boatman likes this.
  19. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes about half the post here are useless advice on how to solve a problem that the OP does not have, because the they can't read or understand the problem, but that never stops them from giving advice. :fpalm

Yeah he just went away. One of those guys that asks for help but never tells us what worked so others with a similar problem can be helped. :csm

Or maybe he just couldn't stand another post on how to seat a tubeless tire. :hmmmmm
  20. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, very inconsiderate to not respond with thanks or more info.
    sieg likes this.