Tires 90% pavement 10% dirt recommendations

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by MapleLeaf, May 13, 2019.

1. MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m ready for a new set of tires for my 2011 GSA. Any suggestions? I’m mostly on pavement, twisty and highway riding now a days. I’m looking for affordable long lasting set for this type of riding. Kinda like the Avon Trail Rider. Anybody with experience with these tires?
  2. path_finder

path_finder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. path_finder

Oddometer:
    Try Pirelli Scorpion IIs. Great pavement performance.
    Jim H, Boxerbreath, darmahman and 2 others like this.
  4. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have an 1150 adv and a 1200 camhead adv both on scorpion trail 2's, bliss.:jkam
    Jim H, path_finder, Rockred and 3 others like this.
  5. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    I recently did the Scorpion Trails on my 1100GS (NOS I had in the tire stack from another project) and like them, can’t comment on mileage yet, but it’s not my hi-mileage bike.

Headed out Wednesday for about 6000 miles, decided to go with the Trail Attack 2’s (not the newer 3’s) on my GSAW. I’ve had several sets on my 1190R and have been delighted with wet road traction, cornering (I’ve done a track day on these), high speed stability and gravel FS roads. This will be my 3rd set of tires on the GSAW, the previous tires were the stock A3’s and a set of used A3’s I bought in the FM.
  6. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    The PO of my 09 put Conti Trail Attack 2's on just before I bought it. He said it's the second set he's put on and really likes them. I have no complaints so far.
  7. antariusjp

antariusjp Large Title Here

Oddometer:
    I say it every single tire thread. I am like you, 99% street 1% dirt, if that. I commute 50mi each way, and I do weekend and long rides.

Metzeler Tourance (the original, not "NEXT"). Honestly, this tire is absolutely fantastic on the street and I'm sure it's fine in dirt -- but the street confidence is amazing. I keep up with my buddies on sportbikes, hypermotards, etc. And they're not overly expensive (from TheVisorShop anyway).
    picard, a57m2000, Steve G. and 3 others like this.
  8. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:

What's the difference between the regular and NEXT Tourance? I just looked at those and they seem like a damn nice tire and actually more aggressive than my Conti Attack 2's.
  9. antariusjp

antariusjp Large Title Here

Oddometer:
    The Tourance "NEXT" tire just doesn't - to me - have the feel and confidence that the original has. Honestly, I've ridden a lot of tires on a lot of bikes - mostly street bikes like Aprilia Tuono's and other Hypernakeds with super sticky Dunlop's or Pirelli's -- and I'm tellin ya', these original Tourance's are just so dang confidence inspiring I'd put them on ANY bike I could get them to fit on. The "NEXT" felt more like the Pirelli Scorpion or the Anakee's. I didn't like either, to be honest.

I've got about 6k out of the rear tire so far and I'd expect another 2-3k out of it. The front, well, looks brand new. I'm in California so our roads are complete shit and I'm able to keep up with my buddies on sportbikes and motards not to mention the super bumpy roads that have little bits of gravel, these things just huck them out of the way. In terms of wet grip, no complaints here either - and we've had plenty of that unfortunately in California this year.

On a plus side, TheVisorShop has them for like $50-$100 cheaper than anywhere stateside, even after shipping... and you get them in like 3-days. No I'm not affiliated with them either, but you can't go wrong.
  10. Bikerboy108

Bikerboy108 Pat from Jersey

Oddometer:
    I’m a metzler Tourance fan ....original not Next
    a57m2000 and Steve G. like this.
  11. NoMoreTrackDays

NoMoreTrackDays Too young for my GS.

Oddometer:
    Second this. Coming from the SS world, the Pirelli Scorpions are surprisingly nimble and sticky on the pavement. Never been off road or even on dirt so I can't talk about off pavement performance but it is a great tire on pavement.
    path_finder, Rockred and darmahman like this.
  12. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    I can't speak on the behalf of GS's, but on my DR I ran a Shinko 705 because I was doing mostly pavement. I'd say I was 90% road. It was fine for the road, but man, that 10% off road I was absolutely miserable.
  13. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    Anakee III’s
  14. Rockred

Rockred Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Changed from Conti trail 2 , which I found was a good tyre. On recommendation I fitted the Scorpion trail 2. I have only done about 400 miles so far and I’m very impressed. I ride only on the road, and mainly in the mountains of Southern Spain. They have excellent grip and are the best tyre I’v ever used. I ride a 15 GSW.
    Velko, path_finder and darmahman like this.
  15. RickCO

RickCO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ride Avon Trailrider's on my 2009 GS. I like them a lot for the riding I do in the mountains of Colorado. Twisty curvy roads, fire roads, some gravel roads, they are great on cold wet roads. I push them hard on hot dry curvy roads. On my second set, I will buy a third. I highly recommend them.
    Velko and Bill-66 like this.
  16. Tremblay

Tremblay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Honestly the Anakee III is just fine on rather tame fire roads. The Anakee Adventures are probably also worth a look. Bonus, you can probably pickup a lightly used set of either in the classifieds.
  17. socalnative

socalnative Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you going to ride rocky, muddy or sandy dirt roads?
    If you are just planning on hard packed dirt fire roads just get a good sport touring tire.
    The compromise on road isn't worth the slight benefit and it's slight to use the 90/10 tires.
    Las likes this.
  18. Dan-M

Dan-M Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've gone through 2 sets of Trail Attack 2's and liked them. I'm now about 1200 miles into a set of Trail Attack 3's. Excellent on road performance wet or dry.

Even thought companies call their tires 90/10 they are essentially street tires. OK for graded dirt roads but not much more off pavement capability than that.
  19. path_finder

Oddometer:
    I owned two RTs before buying my GS. The Scorpion Trail IIs are so good, I'd consider putting them on a RT if I still owned one. I can't speak for them off the pavement but Idon't think the there is any road compromise with them.
    Jim H and darmahman like this.
  20. Wandergives

Wandergives Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve been very pleased with regular tourances on my 1150. Bikes handles great, wet, dirt, everything I throw at it (again no real off-roading, just dirt/gravel roads).

Ever looked into the tourance EXP?