1. eNewsletter Sign Up

tires for big bend in feb

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by danptobin, Aug 12, 2019.

1. danptobin

danptobin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to ride my tiger 800 to big bend national park in Feb to ride some dirt roads. will pirelli scorpion str be aggressive enough? or should I bring more aggressive tires with me?
  2. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    BBNP is relatively mild terrain because it's all roads and no trails. The worst conditions you'd experience are possibly some deep, fine gravel or sand on River Road and maybe some loose rocky climbs on Black Gap Road, as far as I can recall. If you are confident on a typical 4x4 high-clearance desert road with your current tire choice, then you'll be fine.
    https://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/maps.htm

In short, knobby tires are not needed, but an offroad-biased DS tire will suffice.
  3. danptobin

Oddometer:
    thanks
  4. terrascout

terrascout Long timer

Oddometer:
    NW Arkansas, Hills and Curves close at hand
    If you are riding from NY to TX to ride BB then you may want to look at one of the longer wear DS type tires like the Hiedenau, Mefo or Mitas large chevron like tires that can last 5000 miles if you are not into excessive rear tire slip on the pavement and or dirt. If you are trailering to TX buy what ever you like or what is cheap as some or the NWA inmates would suggest. :D Do you want an oil recommendation also?

I have run the Pirelli Scrpn on a 990 to and on the jeep roads of Colorado and they worked fine. I just did not get as many mniles out of the rear tire as I did with the other three mentioned. Maybe I use less throttle as I age, or realize I am healing slower.
    lane01 likes this.
  5. danptobin

Oddometer:
    terrascout having never been to big bend i dont know what the dirt roads are like. im ok with changing tires on a trip.
  6. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    It will depend on the weather and if road graders have been down in awhile. Expect a bunch of deep gravel, some sand, some hardpack, and few rougher sections with baby head sized rocks and maybe a ledge or 2. I think knobbies would be a waste for 90% of it, assuming you can ride and aren't afraid of keeping a little momentum.

The state park is much rougher and even more remote. Knobbies would be needed to get anywhere off the main access road. I would scout everything before attempting to ride a big bike over there.
    scarysharkface likes this.
  7. danptobin

Oddometer:
    thanks
  8. Tigger's Toy

Tigger's Toy Beast Rider Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mitas E07+

I put them on my GSA recently and the performance on road is outstanding. My riding style is “normal” I would say. I’m a pilot by trade so I do my yankin-n-banking in the air not the pavement. Plus I live in N. Houston where it pays to ride smart and save that yankin-n-bankin for texting teenagers!!!
  9. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    IMO, if you ride your Tiger off pavement in NY with your scorpions and do ok, Big Bend National Park should not be a problem. other than some sand, the riding is not very technical compared to what we encounter off road here in the northeast.
    scarysharkface likes this.
  10. cagiva549

cagiva549 whats a cagiva

Oddometer:
    I’ve ridden every road in the park on my 950 KTM with stock pirrelli scorpions and a whole lot of the ranch . I did run a terrorflex one time and roosted river road from one end to the other but the terror part showed itself when it was on pavement . Just stay on pavement if it’s wet . Nothing will work then .
    scarysharkface and Stephen like this.
  11. danptobin

Oddometer:
    thanks the strs should get me there around there and back. id change tires when i get there if i had to the trail 2s i have on now are fine till i get to sand or mud then the bike is a real handfull. the strs do alot better on that and handle the roads really well. the shinko 804/806 could do the whole trip but arent as good on wet pavement or light snow which im likely to run into on my way there
  12. oughtsix

oughtsix Reverse Engineer

Oddometer:
    Found this thread on a search. Planning a trip this spring with a friend, both on xrr type bikes, trailering over from LA.

I’m planning to just spoon on a fresh k760 Trakmaster rear, a tire I dearly love.
    Any recommendations on a front? I realize the river road isn’t that hard, but I don’t have a lot of sand experience.
  13. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    On an XR the tires won't matter. With a little momentum street tires will get you through, knobbies will be a waste over 90% of the time.
  14. henrys

henrys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm really liking the new Dunlop trailmax 50/50. Really good all around tire.
  15. FlyGuy92

FlyGuy92 n00b

Oddometer:
    Old Ore Road and River Road West offer the most difficult terrain in my opinion due to some softer sandy sections. The Pirelli STR's should be a good choice.
  16. danptobin

Oddometer:
    got a set of the new battleax knobbies to cheap to pass up they seem good on my scrambler. may just keep my trail 2s on and keep it simple and not try anything that needs knobbies. my buddy cant get the time off so ill be riding solo
    leaving ny feb 2 probably take me 3 days riding to get there. the trail 2s will be more predictable if the weather is bad on the road
  17. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    My wife and I be riding/camping in the area from February 11 to 23 if you're still there we can hook up.
  18. danptobin

Oddometer:
    i need to be back in ny on the 15th
  19. crownhorse

crownhorse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sieg tom from loose nut ride wife and i will be there most of feb, maybe we can ride some, dine at the starlight
    sieg likes this.
  20. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fursur. :-) We'll be at Maverick Ranch, I'll contact you when we get settled in.
    crownhorse likes this.