tires

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by sparky69, Jul 23, 2002.

1. sparky69

sparky69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i have a 98 gs. i bought it from a buddy who put new metzler tourances on at 22 k. when i bought the bike it had 39 k on the odo. i racked up 10 k on a recent trip. so, now at 40 k they show almost NO wear ! i slimed the tires before the trip & ran at 45 psi. most guys around here get only 12 to 15 k on metz's. is it possible that the slime ( trade name ) helped the tires run cooler therefore allowing the tires to last longer ? has anyone had a similiar experience ? talk soon. sparky
  2. sinnyc

sinnyc Ride harder, not smarter

Oddometer:

Before I respond, some caveats:
    1. I come from the sportbike world where I don't even blink at putting new meat on after 3-4000 miles.
    2. I was amazed to discover that I got over 10,000 miles outta the Metzlers on my GS.
    3. I try not to dismiss anything out of hand until I get all the facts.

Still, I am having a tough time believing that those tires have 40,000 miles on 'em. Maybe if you only ride 30 mph at night when the road never gets over 40 degrees :)
  3. sparky69

Oddometer:
    hey sinnyc ;
    hey bubba , k's......... , this is the land of kilometers. as in 100 k's per hr. = 62 mph.
  4. sinnyc

Oddometer:

Ooops. :eek:

Even so, 25,000 miles is still astonishing to me and I have never heard of such longevity in a tire.
  5. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    Minus the 22K kms that were on the bike before the rubber was changed...
  6. sparky69

Oddometer:
    yeah exactly . my point being we rode from 29k ( which is when i "slimed " the tires to 40k ( now ). the 10k we rode was 2 up fully loaded in 100+ temps , often at 140k's for 8 to 12 hrs. & the metz's show almost no sign of wear. psi was 45 lbs. i'me very pleased but as indicated earlier i am wondering if the slime helped keep the tires run cooler .
    by the way my son lives in oslo. he is an scooter enthusiast also. he rode his bike from tulca chile to wpg . 17,000 k's. it almost kroaked him. he has lots of pic's which he will be posting here soon. ( i convinced him to join the insanity ) if you send me an email i'll give you his mobile #. 'later.
  7. sinnyc

Oddometer:
    sparky, if you haven't already, just disregard everything I have posted here :)

I have no idea how my reading comprehension got so low without my realizing it but it is quite obvious that I was huffing gas, self-flagellating, jerking off, or all three when I began responding to your post. :huh

Usually I can string fairly coherent posts together...

Honest...

No, really!

:(:
  8. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    Ok, now i'm skeered. does someone usually flagellate you?:eek:
  9. koolkat

koolkat Travelling Old Fart

Oddometer:
    On another thread here somewhere *there are so many* I indicated that when I bought my 1150GS new, it had Michellin T66's on it & I rode a comfortable 25,000 kays on them before getting new ones.....& then only coz I was going on a trip - reckon they had another 3-5 thou left.

The new T66's were shit, & only got 10,000 kays from them. The originals were made in France whilst the 2nd lot were made in Spain (check the sidewalls).

Now I'm on Tourances & so far have 14,000 kays on them & they still looking extremely good.....doubt if I am at the half way mark yet.

But so far I haven't done much off road stuff.....:cry

Chuck