Title assistance in AZ

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Granitic, Nov 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Granitic

Granitic Backcountry rider

Oddometer:
    I’ve always kept my CRF230F fully insured and buy an Arizona State Land Department (ASLD) permit every year. But never had a plate for occasional pavement in between trails in NM, AZ, CO, etc.

Just finished the project and the bike now meets street legal requirements. Headlight, Taillight, Brake light activated by both brakes, Mirror, Horn, and DOT tires (stamped on the sidewall). Here are some pix of the results:

https://goo.gl/photos/AC1yU3WNpW8tfAqy7

Now it can be converted to street-legal in AZ or CO. But not in NM because it has an “OHV only” title.

So I am looking for a helpful rider in AZ to purchase (on credit) the bike, do the 20 minute title process at their local AZ MVD office, then sell me back the AZ “MC” title and bill of sale. We can do the whole thing over lunch.

At that point I will be able to get a new NM title that says “MC” for motorcycle and get a plate.

Will do the paperwork and pay all your time and expenses of course.

A street legal CRF has been a dream of mine for a long time so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
  2. AZ Dean

AZ Dean Moto Paparazzo

Oddometer:
    I believe you'll need to have the bike inspected by the MVD in AZ. At least that is what I had to do with my WR426F when I converted it to street legal.

I can probably help you with this if we can work out the timing.
  3. Granitic

Oddometer:
    That is my understanding. Because it is an out of state vehicle, they need to look at the VIN:

"A Level I vehicle inspection, if out-of-state title and/or registration is missing"

https://www.azdot.gov/mvd/VehicleServices/Title

Thank you, I will send you a PM.
  4. verboten

verboten confused Supporter

Oddometer:
    i would be surprised if that strategy would work. Most states use the mfg vin to determine if the bike is dirt or street, not the title. While you can get a street title for a dirt bike in AZ, wether it transfers to your state as a street bike will depend on their laws. You could always just title it in AZ under your own name...

Oh, and it will take much longer than 20 minutes :( it will require the level 1 inspection as previously mentioned. Depending on the time and day of the week, it could be 1-3 hrs typically.
  5. Granitic

Oddometer:
    I was surprised myself but the process has been done successfully by a rider, and recently. He has shared details about it with me. It's a reciprocity policy, not a law. We shall see.
  6. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    FYI, you should be able to get a level 1 inspection at one of the 3rd party titling places which will save time. I had this done on an x-challenge that had an IL title. Lady came out and checked the VIN.
  7. verboten

Oddometer:
    I hope it works out for you. NM has been cracking down, AZ was threatening to at a policy level in the DMV.
  8. verboten

Oddometer:
    That's great that they are allowing 3rd party title agencies do level 1 inspections now! Big time saver compared to doing the same at DMV. Last time I brought in an out of state bike I had to wait in line twice :(. Once for the inspection and then again for the title work.
  9. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    OP or whomever just needs to call ahead as not all 3rd party places can do it.
  10. terb

terb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When did AZ start to do out of state inspections again?
  11. Bigbugberg

Bigbugberg De oppresso liber Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got my 250xc-f closed course bike titled as a street bike. Having all the lights etc, it took an inspection and some smooth talking at a 3rd party DMV. But it's done.
  12. terb

terb Been here awhile

Oddometer:

In what state?
  13. Bigbugberg

Bigbugberg De oppresso liber Supporter

Oddometer:
    Arizona
  14. verboten

Oddometer:
    As will plate a motorized barstool, as long as it's over 49cc ;)
  15. Kyron

Kyron Oncler Inds

Oddometer:
    Why not just get an Arizona street plate with ohv sticker and keep it all in your name with your NM drivers license, ..........

all you need is a legit address in Az ........... I have a time share that I sublet out if your interested

:hide
    RAZR likes this.
  16. Granitic

Oddometer:
    Interesting thought.

1. So if I look at the AZ title application, it wants a drivers license number https://www.azdot.gov/docs/default-source/mvd-forms-pubs/96-0236.pdf?sfvrsn=12

2. I have always assumed this has to be an AZ drivers license.

3. It does not seem possible for me to get an AZ drivers license without giving up my NM drivers license which I prefer not to do.

4. Suppose I did get an AZ title and tag in my name, somehow. I bring the bike back to NM. I get stopped by the local constabulary who informs me I need to turn in my AZ tag and get a NM tag. (Which might not happen for a very long time.)

5. Of course, if I had an AZ title in my name that says "MC" then I could get a NM "MC" title -- which is the whole point of this exercise.

#5 is really intriguing. Had never thought of that. Which takes us back to item #2. Doesn't seem possible without an AZ license.

Keep the ideas coming, much appreciated.
  17. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    i'm not sure why you're stressing about this.
    i just plated a dirtbike in AZ.
    i live in CA.
    my drivers license is CA.
    the address on my AZ registration is CA.

couple things you need to have before walking in the AZ MVD office...
    that bike needs to be insured in AZ. this is key. but the address on your insurance can list your home address in whatever state that isn't AZ.
    you don't need a AZ address to tell the MVD.
    you just say it's at a vacation home most of the year in AZ.
    the bike is not inspected.
    you tell them the bike is mostly off highway and sometimes on pavement.
    registration is $35.
    they hand you a plate and you're on your way in 10 minutes.
  18. Granitic

Oddometer:
    Will my out-of-state insurance be acceptable for Arizona?
    No. All vehicles registered in Arizona must be insured by a company licensed to do business in this state.
    http://azdot.gov/mvd/faq/vehicle-services/mandatory-insurance

I have Progressive which operates in AZ, so good to go? But my "Policy State" on the proof of insurance is NM, not AZ.
  19. Kyron

Kyron Oncler Inds

Oddometer:
    come to az with your bike and go to a 3rd party mvd office, give them the address to your "summer cottage" and tell them you want all mail to go to your main address (in nm) ....... McDonald's is a nice place to for a summer cottage btw
  20. Granitic

Oddometer:
    You're right, there is a section on the form for "Mailing address"
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.