Title assistance in AZ

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Granitic, Nov 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    And to think I just got the OHV sticker and was done with it in about 5 minutes online... I apparently missed out on an amazing adventure.

How much do you value your time "dealing" with this? Less than $25?
    cyberdos likes this.
  2. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA

I don't understand your post sorry.
    According to Arizona Revised Statute Section 28-1177 you are not required to have or able to get an OHV sticker for a motorcycle manufactured for street use. What motorcycle do you have? Perhaps you were mislead and were sold a sticker you don't need and in fact your motorcycle doesn't fit the requirements to obtain one.

It's not about time versus the $25 sticker. It's about OHV stickers being issued to vehicles that don't comply with the requirements, and are not needed for OHV use.
    Plate supersedes OHV sticker Arizona Revised Statute Section 28-1177. This statute clearly states the requirements and specifications of a vehicle in order to qualify for an OHV sticker. The $25 fee was enacted so users of OFF ROAD ONLY vehicles would pay the EXTRA for that use. A regular street plated vehicle does not qualify or need the OHV sticker.
    The idea is you don't need a sticker for a Jeep, 4WD PU, Subaru, Toyota, MOTORCYCLE that is manufactured for road use. cyberdos says his Suzuki DR650 is not a road motorcycle, but he is wrong it is. It is manufactured for road use and registered originally as such. How you use it is up to you. BUT you are not supposed to be able to get an OHV sticker unless your machine is an off road machine. They are not issued for road going four wheeled vehicles and should not be issued for road going motorcycles. Arizona Revised Statute Section 28-1177
  3. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Arizona Revised Statute Section 28-1177
  4. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    According to Arizona revised Statute Section 28-1177 you are required to NOT only have an OHV sticker, a street vehicle is NOT able to obtain one. We do know they are being issued to street motorcycles, but this contravenes the statute. Something has gotta give.
  5. Friedom

Friedom Onward and upward!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for reviving the topic Tuckers. I have no argument with what you've stated here quite clearly. There is ambiguous language out there, but the statute has precedence.

"Fun Wheel Drive"
  6. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    I don't know what is going to happen with all the stickers that are on 'street' vehicles...they are not supposed to be there, not required and don't comply.
  7. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    They self destruct the moment you hit tarmac.
    refokus likes this.
  8. refokus

refokus Hmmmmmm

Oddometer:
    Why do you care? You don't live in AZ and so you don't even have to worry about it. So, why?
    Tee2 and Sledred like this.
  9. refokus

refokus Hmmmmmm

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  10. verboten

verboten confused Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nothing. The AG's office and the benefitting agencies all approved what has been dubbed "the dual sport exception". Until the law is rewritten:
    A.enjoy the benefits of having and OHV decal on what Tuckers is calling "street bikes".
    or
    B. carry a copy of the law with you and be prepared to explain to a LEO why you don't need the Ohv decal. In extreme cases, you might get cited. You will then choose to follow the officer's recommendations or tell the judge why you don't need a decal.

Regardless of your choice, the law and agency policy is on your side. Heck, you can even elect to pay full VLT and pay for an OHV decal if you really wanted to.
  11. CapeMan

CapeMan Dirt Duffer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's an (old? apocryphal?) Chinese curse many of us have heard of that goes something like "May you live in interesting times."

It's actually one of a set of three curses and the second curse may have some application here ... it goes kinda like "May you come to the attention of someone in authority." Now I take that to heart so I just stick both stickers on my MC plate every year and try to ride whenever I can when the weather's amenable. Just now, next Sunday looks real good!

Oh, FWIW, the third curse goes something to the effect "May you obtain whatever it is you seek."
    verboten likes this.
  12. Tee2

Tee2 I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer:
    I got home from work and my wife said she had the two OHV stickers to put on my bikes. I laughed a little, she asked whats so funny. :imaposer
  13. RT66AZ

RT66AZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok here's the deal, if you have a VLT plate and feel like I do that the law is poorly written, you don't want to get hassled for not having a sticker where one may or may not be required, then spend the $25 and the money will supposedly go to trail maint. To me being stopped for no sticker ruins more than $25 of my enjoyment of the days ride. I would not want to get into an argument trailside with a LEO....many if not most take a dim view of people whipping out a copy of the law....a sure way to end up in court. I also do not want to end up in a similar scenario debating if I should have a VLT type plate. The VLT & $25 is cheap insurance against a ruined day or worse yet taking time to continue the fight in court.

If you feel that you are entitled to the non VLT plate go for it. If you feel that the VLT type plate trumps all, by all means make yourself happy. But if and when you get stopped understand you brought it all on yourself for $25 lousy dollars (that goes to preserving the areas you are riding in) or for the VLT, consider even a brand new 2017 R1200 GSA's VLT is less than a day or twos rental of one from one of the Adventure Tour/rental places. Ask yourself is it worth it to play Perry Mason with a cop trail or roadside and then take the time and more than likely the expense of travel to the location of the court? I think not.

$25 and a little black square in the upper right corner of my license plate is a small price to pay to ride. If you can't afford the $25 then I guess you need to find a cheaper hobby.
  14. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    That's a good post RT66AZ. Everyone does as they feel.
    All I said was street trumps OHV and I got jumped on. Do whatever you want. ARS 28-1177 is all I pointed out.
    You have a bogus OHV sticker on a street legal bike...Ok whatever. It's not supposed to be there.
    It's not my fault. All I did was point it out.
    It started when I saw 'title help needed in AZ.'
    I'm a title guy. A DMV guy. A law guy.
    Anybody can and will do whatever they want. Go ahead.
    But to argue with me and say it's not so then what am I to do? ARS 28-1177 is very clear.
    I ruffled a lot of feathers. No one wants to be 'wrong'.
    I've tried to explain it a few different ways, but you all know what I mean. A street bike right? You know what a street bike is, it's a bike you get license plates for the street when you buy it. That bike doesn't qualify for an OHV sticker according to ARS 28-1177...it's not my fault...I have nothing to do with the statute...I got interested and pointed it out....sue me.
  15. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    So we have bunch of people here who live in AZ and have been riding all sorts of bikes on an off road for years and have dealt with LEOs, we have people here who actually worked for OHV and you still maintain they (we..) got it all wrong and need to be saved from ourselves. You sure know how to pick a fight... Erm, argument. How about you start a gofundme campaign for an ohv sticker, I'll throw in a buck.
  16. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Don't be silly about it.
    The program was instituted in 2009. The stickers were never intended for street bikes. It's a fee for OHV, that's why it has that name. The powers that be figured the OHV users weren't paying thier share. (I have no iron in that fire). Anyway the OHV sticker was invented, along with every vehicle needing to display a license plate...even off road vehicles. Remember the days when OHV dodn't have license plates in AZ?
    Anyway something went sideways and although Arizona Revised Statute 28-1177 cleary points out the law...somehow street motocycles are buying OHV stickers. You don't buy an OHV sticker for a road Jeep, 4X4 PU, whatever....you can't....but somehow street motocycles got in the mix. Users were led to beleive the OHV sticker was required to ride the street bikes off road. Now you have thousands of users filling out an affidavit stating their bike is intended primarily for off road use. Take for example a Suzuki DR650, basically from the get go it's a Dual Sport styling exercise, a road bike. You modify the suspension, and controls and often carburation and exhaust, now you can use it off road but it's still not a dirt bike. We all know what a dirt bike is, let's not kid oursleves. A dirt bike needs an OHV sticker....in AZ you can also make it street legal.
    Another example...a BMW R1200GSA. Now we know that's not a dirt bike correct? Good. But people have an OHV sticker for that bike. According to ARS 28-1177 it doesn't comply....why was it provided a sticker. You are not going to tell me the GS was manufactured primarily for off road use. Just like a DR, it wasn't/isn't.
    Anyone can and will do anything they want. You exercise your rights....but you lambast me for exercising mine? No, not going to happen.
    All motorcyclists have a vested interest in this. I ride off road in AZ, it's an awesome place to do it. I have a vested interest in this. It's ironic how riders claim and shout freedom and then throw stones at someone for exercising their rights and freedom.
    I'm not telling anyone anything..except that street plates supersedes OHV sticker....that's all I said originally and people got their panties in a twist. How they are saving money signing the affidavit, how an OHV is less expensive than street tags. How you HAVE to have an OHV on your street bike to use the forest roads. One guy even got a citation for riding his street bike with street plates on a forest road, he says and paid a fine. I'd like to see what the citation reads.
    You jump all over the messenger....it's the same old story....kill the messenger....why? Because you have been wronged so you blame the person that pointed it out? Tough luck.
    AZ Parks and Trails can't single out street manufactured motorcycles to get an OHV sticker, that's all this is.
    We are done trying to explain what we mean by a street motorcycle...we know what that is. Call it what you want. It's a bike you buy from a dealer and you get license plates to ride it on the street....that same license plate allows you ride it were Jeeps go and 4X4 PU's, and Toyotas and Subaru's and any number of SUV's you see on Forest Roads, you can go there too on your street bike, you don't need, not rquired to have, and by statute 28-1177 are not supposed to be issued an OHV sticker.
    It's NOT MY FAULT. (Shouts loudly). I'm just pointing it out! Don't get your panties in a twist at me. Contact Matthew Eberhart, Assistant Coordinator of the program and twist your panties at him not me.
    How many times and ways do I have to say it.....it's NOT ME..I didn't do it! All I said was street plates suoersedes OHV sticker and I got a ration of hurt for it. Too bad. Sue me. Spell my name correctly.
    Is anyone else going to stand up and say "you know what, the statute does say that" that's what this is.
    Instead we get 'tuckers is pedantic ' 'tuckers sucks' 'Kalifornia (with a K) sucks' 'tuckers is a SOB'
  17. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Tee2.....which two models of bikes did you get OHV stickers for?
  18. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    What model bike do you ride with an OHV sticker?
  19. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
  20. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.