Titling a bike which has never had one

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by Nobade, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Nobade

Nobade Keep on keepin' on...

Oddometer:
    I just got an interesting project thrown into my lap. It's a 1973 CZ 125 sport, model 476. It was in inventory in my dad's store when he closed it down in 1973. No MSO, no paperwork, and since it was never sold there is no title. The importer is long out of business, heck, the country it was built in doesn't even exist anymore. I have approached the local DMV, motorcycle shops, quickie DMV places, etc. and have yet to get any answer as to how to proceed. Anybody out there (especially in NM) ever run across something like this? Got any suggestions? Thanks!
  2. Luckypabst

Luckypabst Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's pretty simple to do here in CA, only requiring an inspection by the highway patrol and a visit or two to the DMV. You may be confusing the situation if you're telling anyone about an MSO or other history. Just say you have a bike with no title. There has to be a process to title a bike with no record.

Chris
    ohgood likes this.
  3. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    all for the paper work for abandoned vehicle, fill it out, and submit it. never tell the DMV anything other than exactly what is required, out they will make things infinitely more complicated.
  4. AlpinaE24

AlpinaE24 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is the right advice, if you do anything else (in AZ) they make you do all kinds of different things. Say it never had a title.
  5. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer:
    Tell them you lost the title. May need to get a verification though. Just did that for the ts100 plus I had to get a brake and lamp inspection.
  6. Nobade

Nobade Keep on keepin' on...

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, this sounds like wise advise. I'll get the process started and see where it leads. I carried that bike across the country on the back of my car this summer, and couldn't believe the reactions it got. Everywhere I stopped, people wanted to talk about it or would drive up and take pictures. Seems like it should be brought back to life and ridden around! Besides, I bet nobody else in town has one.
    ohgood likes this.