TK Memorial Ride 2018

Discussion in 'Australia' started by BergDonk, Mar 15, 2018.

1. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    Its on again. Our destination this year is Silverton NSW. We will meet at the Silverton Hotel on Saturday 18th August 2018 for a feed, catch up and to once again celebrate the life of Tony Kirby and his contribution to our life style.

There is limited accommodation available at the pub, 7 rooms still available at present I'm told. Its suggested that anybody wanting accommodation to get in quick. There is also camping at the Silverton Camp Ground; https://www.google.com.au/search?cl...3d-31.888626714144472!3m2!1i1320!2i831!4f13.1

For anybody wanting to ride via Mildura, we will be meeting at the Gol Gol Hotel Friday 17th for Bullshit and Beers session. Ian Whitfield, a well known local Identity, will then lead a ride to Silverton leaving Gol Gol at 0700 am on Saturday 18th.

Fuel range only needs to be 250 kms and we will take in some of the much talked about Darling river, via Pooncarrie, Bindarra, Menindee, Broken Hill and end up at Silverton.

We will be departing Silverton on Sunday to head back to Mildura/Gol Gol via Scotia Sanctuary and Lake Victoria, with fuel range for this day TBC.

Gol Gol has a motel, and camping is also available at Rusty's and Whitty’s.

Whitty knows the area like the proverbial back of his hand and has made arrangements to access a fair amount of private property to join the dots especially for us. He also reckons no heavy sand.

Its up to you to make your own arrangements, but be good to know if you plan to be there all the same.

A bit about TK is here; https://www.dsmra.asn.au/dsmra/about-us/founders-2

In 2011 a few Tony Kirby's friends and followers celebrated his life with a ride to one of his favourite places, South Australia’s Flinders Ranges, where a rock cairn was constructed and his ashes spread. This became the inaugural TK Memorial Ride.

[​IMG]

Other rides have followed each year since:
    • 2011 – Flinders Ranges SA
    • 2012 – Walcha NSW
    • 2013 – Kenilworth Qld
    • 2014 – Bridge to Bridge – Sydney Harbour Bridge to Brisbane’s Story Bridge
    • 2015 - Cooma NSW
    • 2016 - Flinders Ranges SA
    • 2017 - Emmaville NSW
    A few threads referring to the earlier rides are here; http://advrider.com/index.php?search/68353170/&q=tk+memorial&o=relevance&c[node]=32

To get on the email distribution list, if not already, send an email to; tkmemorialride@gmail.com
  2. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    PS, if you thought you were on the email list and didn't get an email recently, it may be because you aren't, or perhaps your email changed.
    Other Guy likes this.
  3. OzPup

OzPup Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Who's TK? :hide
    enookway likes this.
  4. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    hunter_greyghost and OzPup like this.
  5. Oldfatbeerman

Oldfatbeerman Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer:
    It has come to my attention , as I think about possibilities and probabilities for the coming Winter season of Outback adventures , that the TK Memorial ride is but one week after the OCR at MT Dare which is also one week after the Border run at Border village . So , in 2018 , we have an Adventurers Trifecta available to be ridden and glorified for all other adventurers to salivate over ........ Maybe I am drumming this up to be more than it is ....... maybe not . There is a huge amount of Adventure to be had , working out a route , that will take any one of us , from our home to the Border village on the WA / SA border , to MT Dare via some tasty remote tracks and then to Silverton by some more very tasty remote tracks ........ This looks like the Aussie Holy Grail of Adventure Motorcycling for 2018 ...... I am feeling a lump in my pants ...:shog .
    president, Burnsy, Hopey and 3 others like this.
  6. LivingdeadCamo

LivingdeadCamo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm feeling the cobwebs in my wallet and the pain in my knee but that sounds tasty!
    GodSilla and Burnsy like this.
  7. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm......
    Mouse likes this.
  8. Hopey

Hopey Hopey

Oddometer:
    Now to just make it happen
  9. Not the Messiah

Not the Messiah Old enough to know better, but slow learnin'

Oddometer:
    So, OFB, would these tasty remote tracks be the sort of thing that is more sensibly done on a single cylinder machine? Or would it be sane to tackle them on a 1200GS if you're a moderately skilful but tired and old rider (Miles Davis I am not, in skill level and strength and fitness!).
    This triple header lunacy has got in my head. I've done none of the three events previously, so jumping in the deep end and doing all three has a bit of crazy appeal.

Cheers
    Brian
    Hopey likes this.
  10. tomrux

tomrux Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got serious appeal here as well. Did border and ocr in 16. Getting a leave pass is going to be the trick. Could do couple of other things on the bucket list on the way. Dont much like the idea of droning across the nullabor on a chooky but. Would need to have tyres waiting in port augutta I reckon.
  11. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    FWIW I won't be doing the triple header, as tempting as it is, but family stuff before and after will take precedence. My plan at this stage is to depart the ACT on Mon 13/08 and be back there on Wed 22/08. I expect to be travelling with a couple of others, @DougW incl, and happy to have more hook up if keen. I sort of plan to go out over or around the Brindies, weather dependant, and then head for central Vic and on to Gol Gol. Back will be via a more direct route, maybe along the Murray. It will be via as much dirt as possible.
    Hopey likes this.
  12. Bikeaholic

Bikeaholic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ve committed to going again this year. Planning on heading to Gol Gol for the Friday night and catch up with the usual suspects. Looking forward to the ride.
    BergDonk likes this.
  13. dirtsurfer

dirtsurfer Adventourer

Oddometer:
    If I have made it to Birdsville in good time after OCR I will come home via Silverton. Sounds good!
    BergDonk likes this.
  14. Angry Pete

Angry Pete Yeah, whatever

Oddometer:
    Trip Planning;

Looking to ride to Silverton for the TK get together, then on to the Flinders.
    Planned route:
    Hervey Bay - Chinchilla - Hebal - Tilpa - Whitecliffs - Silverton.
    At the moment the North road seems to be the go, also bulldust holes around Whitecliffs, anybody done this way (or parts of) lately?
    Now, from Silverton to Yunta, Google maps says with these alternatives:
    Zooming in, it seems there are tracks there, but also appears to go through private property/stations. Anybody used these routes?

As for Yunta North and around the Flinders, I'll have a bit of a study of the Flinders thread.

Over to the brains trust!

Look forward to having a beer with @BergDonk and the rest of you nutcases.
  15. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    North of the Barrier Highway is private property, so needs permission prearranged AFAIK. I've not been there. The dirt alternate is south of the Barrier.

upload_2018-6-3_10-53-19.png
  16. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    +1

The Australian Safari Went from Silverton out across the Mulyungarie/Curnamona/Wirrealpa area to @ Blinman/Parachilna - on the way to Maree... that was early 90's? (donkeys ages). All of it was/is private property (no designated "roads" across that way - just station bore run tracks and fenceline tracks)... There was also a pemission form required to cross/use the gas line access road (okay... it was an organized rally - and you are talking about a few mates or so, right?) but still... from rough memory, there was about five or six stations to contact... you could still link up a way across there somewhere to the Flinders/Arkaroola area, I'd be pretty sure... but it's not just a matter of looking at the map and plotting a route on a GPS.
    Angry Pete likes this.
  17. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    Hopey likes this.
  18. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    I tried to get permission to go from Silverton to Curnamona as part of a ride to Finke 2015..being organised by another inmate here..spoke to the first landowner and permission denied because of previous abuse from 4wd's. So we back tracked to B.H...west on Barrier H'way, and went north from Mingary via Boolcamatta Station..( now a conservation rerserve )..then Kalabity, etc, to Curnamona station. Permission was sought and was OK.
  19. Angry Pete

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies, Studying Google earth I suspected it was private property and permission would be required. At this stage, there will just the two of us, I don't have the time to chase up who owns what and where, so we'll make up our minds once we're at Silverton, Berg's track looks interesting, but we may just slab it to Yunta as this trip is about the Flinders.

As for the 4WD people, I could go into a long rant about the things we've seen/come across while out there...
  20. Angry Pete

Oddometer:
    Getting close now kiddies...