TKC80 vs. D606

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Mcyclewriter, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Mcyclewriter

Mcyclewriter Grey Beard

Oddometer:
    I'm in the process of prepping (getting an early start) my '07 BMW F650GS for a ride from western NC to Inuvik and then over to the Dalton Hwy via TOTWH and the Alaska Hwy. Expecting to log somewhere in the range of 11,000 miles. Starting out on Metzler Tourance and expect to have to change to more aggressive tires once into the NT's. TKC80's seem to be a popular choice, but I also like the looks of the Dunlop D606's. Has anyone had a chance to use both, and, if so, I'd like to get your feedback. Thanks.:ear
  2. kahoon

kahoon who's yer daddy??

Oddometer:
    you'll get more mileage out of the TKC vs. the 606. but you'll also get less grip as well (both on and off road)! it depends on what you want. i say if you're not getting into anything slimy (just gravel roads), i'd go with the TKC.
  3. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    I've got TKC80's on the KLR right now, they are OK, but I like the Kenda K761 just as much, for way less money.

About 80% of our roads up here are dirt, so I ride on it a fair bit.

A bit off topic, but the ones I wouldn't put on again are Mezteler Karoo's.
  4. Pig-Pen

Pig-Pen (Formerly KTMike)

Oddometer:
    The Demster is known for its changing conditions, however even when its sloppy, it's nothing that the TKC would not handle. Like Kahoon says, it doesn't give you the grip of the 606, but unless your really getting into the slop, stick with the TKC. I find it does give up grip sooner than a 606, but its very predictable when it does and also very forgiving. The 606 will have less than half the life of a TKC so I wouldnt opt for using it on a longer ride.
    CoatsEast likes this.
  5. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    What they both said.
    Plus this, the front 606 wears much, much faster than the TKC does. I'd use the TKC for your application, no question. I've got 8000 k's out of a pair on my KLR and that's a good mix of Baja Mexico, slab and just generally kicking the ever loving hell out of them
  6. JUNAC

JUNAC Straight Shooter

Oddometer:
    Check out Heideneau K60's. Had them on my Honda XR650L. Got 11,000 Km's out of them. Rear has about 25% of the center tread left and the front has about 40% of the tread left. They were an awesome tire. I am switching to the Dunlop 606 rear and Pirelli MT 21 front for an upcoming rally but I plan to set up a set of tires/rims with the Heideneau's for every day riding. My only complaint was that the front would wash out a bit in the loose stuff.
  7. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    After a trip this summer I'll have to pitch in a vote for the K60 as well. I didn't like the front, but the rear hooked up great and lasted forever. Seriously, I swapped it for a full knobby at 11k miles but it would've made another few no problem. Hard to beat the traction and wear, the trouble is availability. If you decide to use one, order it early to be sure you'll have it when needed.

As for the TKC vs 606 issue... I don't think you'll need the extra traction of the D606. Mount up a K60 rear and TKC front and ride on happy as can be.
  8. Canada Mike

Canada Mike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 for the Heidenau's...Did the Dalton Highway beginning of August this year, two up with a shit load of gear. Loved the Heidenau's with around 25 PSI in them on the gravel.

If your heading through Fairbanks...Dan and Shawn at Adventure Cycle Works can set you up with some tires. Really enjoyed meeting these guys, and they are meticulous in there work.

Mike
  9. Ducksbane

Ducksbane Quaaack!!!

Oddometer:
    I also vote for the K60's as long as you can actually get them! :ddog
  10. D-Fuzz

D-Fuzz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you can get Kendas or Shinkos or something cheap like that to fit your F650GS, I wouldn't bother spending the extra money on TKCs or such. The chip seal surfaces on the highways in the North is very hard on tires. My friend used TKCs on his R1150GS and you could see them wear from day to day. I used Kendas on my DR650 and never felt I needed more grip, but my set of tires cost less than a rear TKC. We changed out tires in Whitehorse, did our loop over the TOW and up the Dalton and by the time we got back to Whitehorse, the rear TKC was pretty much done.

If you are looking for a place to get your tires swapped over, the Honda dealer in Whitehorse was awesome. They charged by Beemer buddy $20/tire to mount & balance and they had the proper machinery to handle the spoked wheels on the big GS. Of course, I just levered my tires on in the parking lot, but that is the joy of owning a DR.:lol3
  11. lineareagle

lineareagle philomath

Oddometer:
    I was up there this summer. Switched to TKC's in Dawson City after picking them up and carrying them with me from Whitehorse. Postal to Whitehorse for 2 tires from Toronto was $34.00.
    I see you are in NC, you could get Dual Sport Plus in Stoney Creek ON to ship tires for you, he usually has good pricing on knobbies. This will avoid you having to send tires across borders.

'The Dick' in Dawson has a full shop and tire changer, absolutely super guy.
    From Dawson I ran the Dempster, TOTHW, Denali, Dalton back to Wasilla and as far home as Winnipeg before I changed out of the TKC rear.

Me, I'd plan on hitting Dawson early June late May, swapping the tires and riding all your big dirt and gravel returning to Dawson for the D2D. Swap back to your roads and come on home.
    Jasonpaulbauer likes this.
  12. jredford

jredford Ninja Racer

Oddometer:
    Any updates 10 years later?:lol3
    Motonirvana likes this.
  13. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really hated the K60. I found they had bad traction on wet paved surfaces. Might wear long time but not worth it for me. I have two rear K60s that I will never mount on the CB500. I have been using TKC80s for a long time and have no complaints.
    superfunkomatic likes this.
  14. kirbike

kirbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In 2018 I started out in Niagara with a new TKC80 front, and a half done Mitas E07 back. Rode to Dawson City and that included the Cambell Hwy and Canol Rd., and changed to a fresh E07 on the back. Did the Dempster to Tuk, then TOW, then out to Denali and down to Smithers and the front TKC80 was done. I put a new TKC80 on, and that combo is what's on my bike today....didn't ride much last year. I like this combination because the front and back tend to wear out at the same time. I will throw a TKC80 on the back for an up coming trip to Moab, but that will be all offroad riding.