TLH Trans Labrador Highway Question and Answers

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Newfie Rider, Jul 30, 2012.

1. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Planning a trip for next August and there seems to be plenty of info on everything except fishing. And after checking out all the regulations - my head is spinning...
    - Guiding requirements vs unaccompanied depending on the latitude.
    - Scheduled waters vs. on non-scheduled waters
    - Distance from highways (you can fish unaccompanied within 800 meters of a provincial highway)
    - Separate license for trout
    - Single-hook requirements

Etc.

So all I really want to do is try for a fish or two for dinner during the trip. No trophy-fish, or big quantities. I just want to make sure I don't do anything illegal.

Any thoughts?
  2. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Spinner and worm with a light tackle spinning/casting gear.. catch trout.
  3. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    Rivers with salmon are posted and require a licence and a guide.
    Trout is what you are looking for and Maggot12 has outlined the bait.
  4. Jettn Jim

Jettn Jim This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer:
    NE PA Some... PNW Some... On HIGH ADVENTURE Most!
    I took a telescopic pole on the last trip and was told by several people including a nice guy in a bait shop/gas station in Cartwright that no matter what in Lab and Newfnland that I needed a guide. I couldn't buy a license and fish alone and even more... he was a Guide and said he still couldn't take me without going through an outfitter?!? Had a Quebec tag so that portion of the trip was covered.
    Anyone else have better info?
  5. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    Excellent, good to know things will be posted and I was thinking a lightweight spinning rod for trout anyway. Also looks like the license is pretty cheap and readily available. Thanks
  6. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    NL government/Canada dept of fisheries and oceans provides an anglers guide in PDF. Got google?
  7. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    According to the regulations: http://www.nfl.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/NL/AG/GuideRequirements
    "1. Island of Newfoundland; South of 52ºN Labrador

A non-resident shall not angle scheduled salmon waters unless accompanied by a licenced guide or by a direct relative who is a resident.
    A non-resident may angle unaccompanied on non-scheduled waters within 800 metres of a provincial highway; beyond that point an angler must be accompanied by a licenced guide or direct relative who is a resident.
    2. North of 52ºN Labrador

A non-resident shall not angle inland waters without engaging the services of an outfitter, except:
    a non-resident who is the guest of a co-operative camp may angle in the waters adjacent to those camps if accompanied by a licensed guide;
    a non-resident who is accompanied by a direct relative who is a resident may angle in any inland water north of 52° north latitude; and
    in waters set out in Schedule I of the Newfoundland and Labrador Fishery Regulations (Canada ), a non-resident licensed to fish for salmon may fish within 800 metres upstream and 800 metres downstream to a bridge on a provincial highway if accompanied by a licensed guide."

Yup, been reading quite a bit and there are one hell of a lot of regulations.
  8. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Welcome to NL.:D
  9. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    Heh, heh, thanks. Also was asking because sometimes there is a "local etiquette" that goes along with the rules...
  10. fast neutron

fast neutron Lost soul

Oddometer:
    Can anyone recomend a campground near L'ancd aux meadows? I'm on my way around the trans-lab clockwise and would appreciate any other recomendations for campgrounds along the way.

Leaving in two weeks. Can't wait!
  11. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Make friends with a local. Sleep in their woodstove heated garage/shed, after they feed you home brew all evening.

It's gonna be cold.
  12. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pistolet Bay is the only one close. Take the road to Cape Onion which is a pretty spot as well. I prefer River Of Ponds park further to the south. I would be surprised if any are open yet.
    Just ask any local for a spot to pitch a tent.
  13. Littlepeter

Littlepeter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pistolet Bay is very nice. We also camped at Triple Falls RV Park on the highway just outside St. Anthony. They let us set up four tents on one RV site. Showers, laundry and a little store.
    http://www.triplefallsrvpark.com/

Have a great trip,

Peter
  14. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I never think of RV sites but yes, a viable option for sure.
  15. fast neutron

fast neutron Lost soul

Oddometer:
    This sounds pretty good but I think Pistolet bay looks nice too. I just made my reservation. Hopefully the cold will keep the black flies at bay!
  16. ReadyFreddy57

ReadyFreddy57 n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to do counter clockwise leaving Boston on/around June 28. It would be great to meet anyone else who'll be up there. Thanks.
  17. DRPiersP

DRPiersP Pro Patria!

Oddometer:
    Darkman and I will be doing the trip clockwise beginning on 27 June, departing from Ottawa. We'll be on a pair of GS'. Perhaps we'll see you somewhere on the Rock!
  18. SELDOMSEEN

SELDOMSEEN Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The President of Zipzoz Racing & Time Travel and me, VP and Crash Test Dummy, both on 2nd Gen. KLR's are launching from my home in ME on July 22 this year and are headed, I believe:shog CW up and over and down and around the Trans Lab loop. We have through Aug. 2nd to complete. I hate having a deadline to meet but then again if real "Adventure" happens :evil then, well, there is not much we can do about "delays":lol3. But work and family do matter :eek1 more adventure:eek1

I don't really want to know too much about the time of year that we are going. It's either gonna rain, or not! Be cold, or not!, Be Hot, or not! Black flies, Mosquitoes, Chupacabra's (WTF?) that's par for the course in the Down East Maritimes. Yeah, they can suck!, should be fun. Way less expensive than AK and I don't currently have the desired bike (Lie! The PD is gonna go) or time and money for that route anyway. I do wish there were more dirt but maybe we can find some sections to follow for a camp night or three.

We're both pretty amped for the trip. My only worry....it's damn flat.

We'll see if we can get it together to do a ride report as we go.

Seldomseen
  19. DukeMButu

DukeMButu Minister of Culture

Oddometer:
    I'm on my way in a week. Should be up in that area "about" the third week of June. Will be wandering around through mid July.

Probably clockwise with the big ferry back to Sydney.
  20. fast neutron

fast neutron Lost soul

Oddometer:
    Well I left yesterday morning and tonight I am in Rocky Harbour drinking a cold beer on the deck at Parsons Harbour view cabins. Two things I have learned so far; garmin is not much use in NL. If you want to find something, gas for instance, just ask a local. Friendly folks here and really helpful. Also, bring a good camera. Grose Morne is full of incredible sights and I am kicking myself for leaving my SLR at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk