TLH Trans Labrador Highway Question and Answers

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Newfie Rider, Jul 30, 2012.

1. DukeMButu

DukeMButu Minister of Culture

Oddometer:
    From what's been posted it appears that a hard and fast reservation for the Blanc Sablon - St Barbe Ferryisn't absolutely necessary, but the Argentia Big Ferry might require a bit firmer booking. In trying to be flexible I'm wondering how difficult it would be to change a reservation?

I can't get started due to the rains brought on by Tlaloc, the Aztec Rain God. Unless you live in California this year, the "Rains have Arrived!"
  2. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    You won't need a ferry booking for a motorcycle. Just go.

I'd book the Argentia if in a car with the kids and wanted to secure a cabin.

Get to the terminal a couple hrs early.
  3. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    25 dollar charge to change your NL/NS ferry reservation with only 24hrs notice.
    Labrador ferry has a booking system and they leave 25% for show ups. Line up and get a ticket in the last two hours before boarding. The earlier you are in the line up....better chance to get aboard.
  4. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    In 2008 I was number 1 in line at Blanc Sablon at something like 6:30 am. I was the last vehicle to load a couple of hours later. I stood in a downpour for two solid hours. My Olympia suit didn't leak one bit, so it was a-ok. Being the last to load, they squeezed me up past all of the trucks to the very front of the hold. It was tight.

John
  5. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Sounds like there was an asshole or 2 workng that morning.
  6. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    Hard to say. It was a full boat.

John
  7. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If there was room in the front when it was full, then there was room as soon as they they sorted out those first few cars. You're a good man for being patient...
  8. woodsatyr

woodsatyr Kitty Boy

Oddometer:
    I'm heading up starting July 31 to finish what I started a couple years ago. I did the TLH CW then crashed in the middle of the HVGB-to-PHS section. Ended up in the hospital for a few days.

This time I'm heading straight up to North Sydney, catch the ferry to The Rock, and then start exploring. After that, I'll go through NS (Cabot Trail), PEI, New Brunswick, then around Gaspe Peninsula.

This time I'll be on my VStrom 650 vs my DRZ400 that I was on last time.

No crashes this time.
  9. osii

osii Disgruntled Time Traveler

Oddometer:
    on those long legs without gas, are there places I can buy a 5 gallon can and just throw it away afterwards, rather than dragging an empty can for 2 or 3 weeks?
  10. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes but a five gallon can? Must be some poor mileage. KLRs and GSAs do it on the stock tank. A gallon or two gets everyone else through the Goose to Port Hope section.
  11. Jettn Jim

Jettn Jim This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer:
    NE PA Some... PNW Some... On HIGH ADVENTURE Most!
    Get it girl!!! :norton :clap
  12. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    A group of us are headed up to Newfoundland on the first weekend in August, just wondering if any one might have some recommendations on where to grab a bite to eat then camp after we get off the ferry in Port aux Basques? We're taking the morning ferry so I'm not sure what might be in the area and open when we arrive? And as for camping, any place we can set up a few tents and a hammock will do.
  13. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I always do the night float. Sleep on the ferry and roll off at 0700 with a full belly and ready to make some miles.
    Doing the day float means camping/hotel in N.Sydney and the same on the Newfoundland side. Spend the extra day riding instead of looking at the horizon bobbing up and down.
  14. DukeMButu

DukeMButu Minister of Culture

Oddometer:
    Good advice. How about southbound from the Rock to N. Sydney? I'm thinking the "Argentina" Ferry.
  15. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Argentia going over and PAB coming back is best, imo. Like Murph said, on the ferry in the evening, listen to some entertainment while sharing a few cold ones, get a good nights sleep, have breakfast, get off around 8ish and ready to go.
  16. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    Yeah, we all wanted the night ferry, but given our schedule and the fact that all the cabins are booked, it looks like the day ferry is our best option. So I guess we're camping on the Port aux Basques side.
  17. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    J.T. Cheeseman is only a bit down the road but you can pitch a tent anywhere that is Crown land.
  18. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you take the "Argentina" ferry you will end up very south.
    The Argentia route is a long haul but it keeps you from backtracking the TCH if you are only riding road.
    Red Indian Lake route and the Gaff Topsails are great route options depending on your machinery.
  19. woodsatyr

woodsatyr Kitty Boy

Oddometer:

:D

I'll be right behind ya. Crossing on the 4th, night crossing. I booked early to ensure getting a cabin. I want to be comfy!!
  20. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    The bunks are plenty comfy as well.