TLH Trans Labrador Highway Question and Answers

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Newfie Rider, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Littlepeter

Littlepeter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think they have them on the new boats. I believe you need to rent a cabin if you want a bed.

Peter
  2. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
  3. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, just found J.T. Cheesman, now off to see if I can find a map that shows Crown Land.
  4. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    No bunks. And they should have modded the ship for it.. However my last two crossings the last 2 summers have been allowing people to sleep on the lounge area sofa's. But that will give you music, noise and lights most of the night.
    So that may work for ya, or find a quiet corner somewhere. For me with the 2 kids we get the cabin both ways. The convenience of our own bathroom, shower, bed, while it is
    expensive, is worth the 200 bucks.

Fyi.. mini van towing a motorcycle trailer, 4 people, with cabin will run you 2400 bucks...:eek1
  5. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    Ouch. That's not cheap.

I have slept in the chairs on most trips across, but I'm probably too old for that now. It can be done with a bit of scotch as a sleep aid.

John
  6. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    Anything that is not in a town or private property is Crown land. Most of the island is crown land. The coast along the Wreckhouse is a nice place but the winds can be fierce. Hammocks won't do well there because of the lack of trees.
    You are expected to clean up after yourselves and I will apologise now for the dirty bastards that did not.

The other option would be to ask someone. You can talk to anyone anywhere anytime. Ask for help...people will give it.
  7. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I was assuming it meant national parks or something similar, so thanks for the clarification. And yes, I'd love to get to meet some of the folks up there - no point in driving through some place like you're on safari.

As for trash, it happens. I'm a leave-it-cleaner-than-you-found-it type, so I'll do what I can.
  8. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Our accommodations on the last trip:

[​IMG]

Neither of us got much sleep, but better than paying for a cabin. Because yes, we are Cheap Bastards.

--mark
  9. Jettn Jim

Jettn Jim This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer:
    NE PA Some... PNW Some... On HIGH ADVENTURE Most!
    :thumb Yup!
  10. novaboy

novaboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We did the TLH in late summer of 2013, and put together a 5-part documentary if anyone hasn't seen it.

All the videos are hosted here. It will give you a pretty good idea of what to expect.

https://vimeo.com/home/myvideos
  11. DukeMButu

DukeMButu Minister of Culture

Oddometer:
    Fyi.. mini van towing a motorcycle trailer, 4 people, with cabin will run you 2400 bucks

This is why I think of it as the "Argentina Ferry." For $2400 bucks I can fly to Buenos Aires round trip three times.

Which Ferries have the rows of high-back chairs? Do they recline?
  12. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    I have no idea what direction we're headed once we get there, but we'll have two 690's, a GSA and a Tiger. Stop and say hey if you see us.

Trying to do the math - Does "booking a cabin" mean that you get the entire cabin (like when you book a hotel room), or is it like a hostel where you are only paying for a bed and share the room?
  13. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The whole cabin. 2 or 4 bunks with your own toilet/shower.
    The last ferries had bunkhouse/berths available and for us cheap bastards 18 dollars was a great deal. Now we sit in the chairs and though you can reserve recliners...they don't recline very much. If you are on the Atlantic Vision it has gaudy colored settees(see above pic) along the edge that I sleep on. The Highlanders and the Blue Puttees do not.
    For yee it might be an adventure but for us that live here it is an absolute PITA.
  14. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Mini hotel room. 4 bunks, one chair, shower toilet. 180 a night.
  15. woodsatyr

woodsatyr Kitty Boy

Oddometer:

I'll probably head north first. I want to stay at Gros Morne a day or two and do some hiking. Then I want to go up to L'anse aux Meadows. After that I'll head over to Cape Spear.

I've planned a week on the rock.

I'll be on a white Vstrom. :)
  16. tofire409

tofire409 Geared up and ready.

Oddometer:
    Add me to the list...Cw starting the second week of July. Not a lingering trip, but I will get a taste of a few places.

I'm planning on camping at Pinware Provincial Park before the ferry the next day, anyone have experiance with that place??

Thanks.
  17. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have set up there a couple of times. If there is a breeze on the beach area it keeps the flies down but if it is windy your best to be tucked into a campsite up in the trees.
    If you have reservations for the boat it is fine but a very early rise and ride to make the non reservation line up. I camped on a homeowners lawn in Blanc Sablon to be in the line up early. On the eastern edge of the town there is an avalanche zone that all the houses have been moved but the road/yards still exist. I was going to camp there but the lady who owned the take-out would not hear of it because of the wolves in the area at that time.
    Good people. If you have the time a ride to the end of the 138 in Quebec is nice while waiting.
  18. tofire409

tofire409 Geared up and ready.

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

It looks like the park is fairly empty at the moment, so I should have a choice of what I want. The park (according to Google) is about an hour away from the ferry, so not too bad. I might reserve a spot...don't want to miss the 10:30 ferry on Saturday as the next one isn't until 15:30.

I'm excited to be riding the long dirt road!! I'm probably in for a few long days, but I will have daylight to burn.

Is the run form Goose Bay to Red Bay ridiculous...or just a butt killer because 100k/hr isn't recommended? I have read a few reports, and I have to remember everyone's ride and skill is different, but I know I won't run into this:

[​IMG] :deal

Thanks for the side trip info...

I really could wander this area for a month or better, but I don't have that time :cry

Something to look forward to when I retire.
  19. ggemelos

ggemelos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The ride from Goose Bay to Red Bay would be a long day. It is certainly doable. When I did the ride that was all gravel and I opted to split it into two days and spend the night camping near Cartwright. Not sure if they paved it since, that would certainly make it a lot easier.
  20. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)

You'll run into a variety of conditions, but giant mud holes should not be among them. :)

The run from Goose Bay to Red Bay is maintained gravel road. In some sections it's heavily potholed, and there's some unfun sugar sand in the vicinity of Mary's Harbour, but for the most part you're actually best off doing more than 100k/hr. The gravel can be very sketchy at lower speeds, but most bikes stabilize as you speed up a bit and cruise over the gravel with confidence.

--mark