TN Dirt Devil Riders

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by Wmac, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Wmac

Wmac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I thought it would be fun to get a thread going for anyone who has or wants to ride the Tennessee Dirt Devil.

I've ridden it solo a couple times on my KLR in the past couple months and it is a lot of fun. It isn't very technical - mostly dirt roads. There are about 10 creek crossings. Some deeper than others.

You can see some pics and buy a map here: http://www.dualpurposetn.com/Trail_Details.html

If you've got a story, pics or a desire to ride it, post up!

[​IMG]
    One of the many creek crossings on Cavender.
  2. angusbeef83

angusbeef83 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    New-ish to adv riding, and I've done a few sections of the DD solo, but hesitant to hit it too hard alone. Would love to get together for a group ride.
    Canyon Man likes this.
  3. Wmac

Wmac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in the same boat. I'm out of town this weekend, but, the afternoon of the 18th would work!
  4. Belaflek

Belaflek Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. angusbeef83

angusbeef83 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    18th is no good for me....leaving for a ride in East TN, but I am actually going to be at Ribfest on Friday for the Intermediate School Adv Riders International is putting on. Should be a good way to improve my skills as a new adv rider.
  6. outlaws justice

outlaws justice On the Fringe

Oddometer:
    I have been coming Down to Nashville to teach Total Control Advanced riding clinics for a few years now, this last trip I brought along my Dirt bike and spent a little time also doing some MX riding. I do lessons for Adventure bikes as well and if there is enough interest I would be willing to bring along my ADV Bike and spend a Weekday working with a small group on some of the stuff to help you get comfortable riding off the beaten path with your ADV Bikes.

We can work on what ever you would like from Standing and steering with your legs, riding over stuff, gravel, hills etc. The Level we do will be up to the group.
  7. ADVRIDINT

ADVRIDINT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We are looking forward to hosting the schools at Ribfest Rally.

These schools will be taught by Lorne Banks, a factory trained and certified full-time professional instructor.

You'll be glad that you signed up...
  8. TroyJ650

TroyJ650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please don't think of this as a thread jump, it is just additional info for consideration. I have ridden at least some (maybe all?) of the Dirt Devil, and hopefully I'll be at RibFest by noon Saturday. I highly recommend both!

There is also a small group of us that gather at Land Between the Lakes twice a year for a little light Dual Sport and ADV riding.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997569

The skill levels there are everything from old racers who can't seem to let it go, to absolute beginners in the off pavement world. The evenings and camping aspects tend to be as enjoyable as the riding. There are no formal riding lessons, but everyone there is more than willing to share advice.

Hit the Dirt Devil, get to Ribfest, and hope to see you at Energy Lake in November.
  9. clocklaw

clocklaw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ever since dumping my bike on a creek crossing all alone 30 miles from home in Hickman Co I am a little unnerved about crossing on my own. Last group ride I did in the area we crossed 5 or 6 crossings without an issue but I am still a little concerned about being stranded alone again (wet cell phone too). There is some great riding in the area, I am tagging onto this thread so I can follow along.

Also.....I can only speak Highly of Outlaws Justice.....I have taken two motorcycle safety courses he teaches and learned so much from both!
  10. Wmac

Wmac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was able to head over to the Double D today and ride a small section with a a buddy.Was heading North when several dozen DS riders were heading South. Was likely the Dual Purpose TN guys. Hopefull to get back out before the really cold/wet weather sets in.
  11. alpha.eightMG

alpha.eightMG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    subscribed, and interested in riding the DD.
  12. obsidian16825

obsidian16825 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dean-o and I ride those dirt roads. Here's one of the multiple Lick Creek crossings.
    [​IMG]
    One day we lost count of creek crossings. I'm sure they numbered over 10 and we didn't get to all of them. We have to go ride Tatum's Creek. The road and the creek are the same for a while. I agree with riding with friends. I got stuck in the creek in the picture my first time out. Now it's easy to me, but there was another crossing that I took a wrong line and fell. I wasn't alone and it was nice to have help and chat about the line choices. I got stuck in another one. I can't remember exactly where, but think it was on Cavender's Branch. I'm not sure how I'd have gotten my bike out alone.
  13. moulin6801

moulin6801 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Who wants to go ride Dirt Devil on Sunday morning/?? Meet Puckett's for breakfast and go from there... meet 9 am
  14. JoshM

JoshM 2006 Honda VTX1300C

Oddometer:
    I got wet my first creek crossing... been dry ever since. Still makes me nervous crossing creeks though.

My overall pace off the pavement is in between a snails pace and a granny on her Hoveround.
  15. moulin6801

Oddometer:
    If you choose to join us, be ready for 4-6 creek crossings.... more likely you will get wet :)
  16. Cecil Dickey

Cecil Dickey RideAddict

Oddometer:
    Tatum creek was awesome yesterday... Unbelievable scenery as well.
  17. lazeebum

lazeebum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been up there once. We camped at Merriweather Lewis national monument park. Thanks to my slow pace, we did not ride the whole loop. There is a lot of good riding in that area.
  18. PositiveRate

PositiveRate Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Let me know when you guys are doing a dirt devil ride....... would love to join up
    Cecil Dickey likes this.
  19. moulin6801

Oddometer:
    Planning on ride the Dirt Devil this Sunday, 15th on my 800gs! I have the map and routes saved on my gps.
    Let's meet at Pucketts Leapers fork 8am for breakfast and take off 9am sharp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cecil Dickey likes this.
  20. C-man23

C-man23 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another Franklin, TN rider here. Just got a WR250R this past weekend and had this ride on my to-ride list. I will see if I can make it on Sunday