1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

TNJAT: Trans New Jersey Adventure Tour

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rob23, Jul 2, 2007.

1. rob23

rob23 on the pipe

Oddometer:
    The Route
    --

[​IMG]

Three days and 735.6 miles of the best paved, gravel, dirt and sand roads that the thrid smallest state has to offer.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214206
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236940

Thanks to all the route builders!!!

The Riders
    --
    smithy1 BMW 1200GS
    DirtRoadDave BMW 1200 GS
    DockingPilot KTM 950 Adventure
    docgonzo KTM 950 SE
    jolly705 KTM 950 SE
    RichBeBe Ducati Elefant E900
    rob23 BMW f650 GS
    Loren BMW 650 X Challenge
    bzack Honda NX650
    Sandflea Kawasaki KLR 650
    wilbrr Honda XR 650
    NjJeff Suzuki DR 650
    TheToeCutter KTM 450 sx
    PineHollow Husqvarna TE 450
    BlackJackMiller Husqvarna SM 450
    toofast4uu Honda xr400
    gerryNj Suzuki DRZ 400

Sponsors
    --
    http://www.whitesmotorcycles.com/
  2. tomcat

tomcat Data Wrangler

Oddometer:
    :thumb
    I am so jealous that I missed this!
    lets see some pics!

when are you going to make the legs available for public consumption?
  3. rob23

rob23 on the pipe

Oddometer:
    Mad dash for tires
    --
    I procrastinated and didn't order my tires until last Friday. Kenda was able to ship me the front but didn't have the rear in stock. White's motorcycles was able to hook me up with a rear but didn't get delivery on time so I now have to drive all over to go pick my tire or wait until the last minute on Thursday and hope they come in on time. Luckily White's is willing to meet me half way for an exchange. Man, what a good shop! Shipping is all messed up because of the holiday so my Kenda order may be late as well.

Right now my front tck80 has about 10k on it and it's looking mighty shabby and will definitely be washing out all over the place when we get into the deep sands of south jersey. My rear Karoo isn't looking good either. It's bald in the middle but still has some side knob to it.

Hopefully, I'll be running a Kenda Track masters with a rear front tire on the front 110/80-19 and a 130/80-17 on the rear.

I'm also in need of some rear brake pads and BMW is only open late on Thursday and I work late.

The Pack
    --
    I packed my pack last night but still need to do some laundry. I'm using a Gregory hiker’s backpack that I took the straps off. I'm going to tie it down with a cargo net and some bungies. Should be good for three days 750+ miles and tons of whoops right? We'll see..

pictures to follow..
  4. rob23

rob23 on the pipe

Oddometer:
    Took a ride down to White's motorcycles to pick up my rear track master. Mike's got a really nice shop that specializes in powder coating. He's got an oven big enough to bake a quad frame and does some really nice work. I'm thinking the Husky would look really sweet with a matching blue frame, skid plate, rotor guards. Yeah, that'd look really nice all tricked out. If anyone wants to trick out their bike give Mike a call. He does great work and works on all kinds of bikes.

So, I stopped at BMW on my way home and picked up a set of brake pads. $57 bucks for OEM brakes pads. I nearly shit my pants! That's what you get when you wait last minute. Damn that label.

My front tire hasn't come in yet and hopefully it'll be waiting for me to spoon them on tonight.

I loaded up the bike yesterday and took it for a test drive. Feels good all loaded up, nice and planted and the pack gives me some additional back support. Now, I can see why cruisers are so nice. While I was stopped on the street making some adjustments to the pack a guy on a Harley stopped and asked if I was broken down; that was a first.

Riders have been dropping in and out like flies. We picked up OCF Rider! (Rally Camp), BykBoy and another Tiger all the way from VA and RichBeBe on a Ducati Elephant 900.

Anyway, my next post will be after our little tour and all you illiterates out there can just check out the pretty pics. I'll do my best to prove that NJ isn't really the armpit of the world.

Here's a google snapshot of the entire route. I'm quite proud of how it came out and can't wait to get out in it.

[​IMG]
  5. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode 3+ sections of this on Friday and it was lots of fun. Very cool to ride about 280 miles in NJ and have almost no lights or traffic, a great mix of some easy gravel and dirt and country roads. I loved driving throuhg some of the snobby neighborhoods and knowing we were out of places there.
    Thanks for Rob and the rest of the people who put this ride together and thanks to Smithy and his brother being riding partners. After they peeled off I did the first part of section 4 then set my GPS to home and got poured on, though it felt good. When I get some more dirthworthy tires for the Elefant I want to do the rest of the ride over the summer.
    We didn't stop for too many pics but here are a few.

The start
    [​IMG]

Smithy's Brother (sorry forgot your name)
    [​IMG]

A covered bridge
    [​IMG]

can't wait to hear and see the rest of the riders tales and pics
  6. BykBoy

BykBoy Meshuganeh Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk

Sorry I couldn't make it for Saturday. My alternator/starter failed so I had to take the big cat into the shop...:cry
  7. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a fun ride :thumb

:lurk
  8. WR_guy

WR_guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    96' Dr650 - 200 wr400f street legal -- Hot xr50
    You shoulda called me...I have new trackmasters that fit your bike sitting in my basement!

-Rich

9. Sandflea

Sandflea One Lump or Two?

Oddometer:
    Day 3 Picts:

[​IMG]

Fun day....Long hot day. Got my bike stuck in a really small mud pit. Worst thing of it, hearing the other guys riding off into the sunset to leave me and my poor choice to shoot the hole of pudding behind to get all 380lbs of her out alone. The pig had 6 gallons of gas in her to boot. First the front was buried, got that out, then I sunk the bike back into that slime hole, through a bit of inpatience of wanting to catch up, buried the rear this time and finally pulled the bike completely free. Check out the back wheel...that shit was thick and nasty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I credit the gym for my solo extrication of the beast. When I caught up with the other guys they said, "If it was anyone else we would have gone back to see what had happened, but since it was you, we didn't worry", in hind sight, not too sure it was a complement....

[​IMG]

A dip in the water was nice on such a hot day. So many old cedar lakes in So.Jersey that always have a stream to cross, some with hidden surprises...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A chance meeting in the woods in the mid part of section 7, Smithy was riding the route opposite from us today, dam it was hot even in the shade. Doug, thanks for your work on section 7, that rail side two track was the dusties thing I have ever ridden, riding sweep, I had to park it for a minute or two just to get the dust to clear a bit so I could see the ground...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Final destination. I was tired and hot. Had to take the requisite shot and said good bye to my riding bro's and made the 2 1/2 hour ride home. I can't imagine how Todd, Rob and Chris feel after riding for the entire three days. Now to work on the next ride route.....

[​IMG]
  10. pinehollow

pinehollow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rode the entire route with Rob and Chris. It was a great time!
    Tremendous thanks go out to all that made it possible!! :clap

I started out at 5AM on Friday morning, dragging my wife out of bed so she could drop me off with my motorcycle 2 1/2 hours north, at the start of this 3 day adventure.

We arrived at the Elias Cole resteraunt around 8:15 where I unloaded my bike and suited up, said goodbye to the lovley wife, and was ready to go.

We rolled out around 9:30 up to the monument.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a few photos and a look around, it was time to get moving.

The route impressed me from the start.

Our Next Stop.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

An afternoon break by the Creekside

[​IMG]

Next Stop, Round Valley. It was realy cool riding around the roads atop the dam that form the resevoir.[​IMG]

As we came close to the end of day 1, we stopped at Bulls Island

[​IMG]

I took great intrest in the dam flow control as Chris and Rob made some calls.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next we arrived at Washingtons crossing, our final destination for day 1.

[​IMG]

At this point we had an important decision to make. Do we camp out here as planned, or do we take advantage of Rob's moms house that was 10 minutes away. It was a very hard decision for us to make, but being that Robs mom was away for the weekend, he figured he better go check on the house. :wink:
    [​IMG]

After getting showered :clap we went out to the local pub for sustinance.:freaky
    I had one of my favorites, Magic Hat #9 (http://www.magichat.net/ I think I drank it faster than I have had a beer since a funnel), Rob had Guiness with a Rumpelminz chaser. Chris kicked back a few Coors lights. We had some food as well.
    A spirited ride home led to Rob losing his camera, luckily it was a disposable.
    Once we got back to the house it was after 11 and we could barley keep our eyes open, so we turned in knowing the alarm was set for 6AM.

After a great rest we were ready to tackle day 2.

Starting out at the Washington Crossing Park Entrance, we met up with Smithy and Lauren. They headed out straight away, and we hung back to wait and see if we would pick up any stragglers, which we didn't. Off we went on the start of day 2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Soon after our start, we came to an intersection where we were hailed down by a couple of guys. It was Gerry and Ray, and they had just stopped to wait and see if they could catch any riders doing the route, and we pulled up straight away. They were a welcome addition to our group for the rest of the day. Section 5 was the section that Gerry put together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 2 was another fantastic day of riding. I would say about half way through day 2 the rout changes from about 80% Street to 80% dirt. The entire trip was a great mix. We ended up at Bass River at about 3:30 and checked in at our campsite. Again we were faced with that gut wrenching decision, do we camp, or sleep at my house 2 minutes up the street:lol3 actually, we left all of our camping gear at Robs the day before so we would be more comfortable rididng. We just checked the site to see if there were any riders and post up information at the site on where they could find us for libations. Off we went through the woods over to Pine Hollow. (my house, it came with the name on the front of the house, and I've come to like it so much I've my "handle" on all of these time sucking motorcycle forums that keep me from doing my job)

:slurpThe beers I had put on ice on Thursday afternoon were patiently waiting for us. I had put together a selection of some of my favorite brews. New Castle, Circus Boy (another Magic Hat concoction), and the Sam Adams summer brew selection that you can get in 12 packs. I wanted to have Steinlager as it is one of my favorites after a long day of summer heat and dust, but they didn't have any left.

Christine, my wife, brought out the chips and dip to accompany our beers as we had a great chat.

Gerry and Ray had to get back on the road to head home, so we said our goodbyes, it was time to figure out what to have for dinner. We perused the local pizza joint menu, called in our order, and Christine went and picked it up for us.

In the meantime, the beer was't cuttin it for Rob, so a shot of Ketel was in order. It was then that I decided to introduce him to my dear friend Sailor Jerry http://www.sailorjerry.com/rum/index1.php?site=us
    They got along very well!

We ate our food and dusk was upon us, so it was time to build a fire and enjoy the rest of the evening!!

[​IMG]

Rob & Sailor Jerry needed to get their cardio workout in for the day.

[​IMG]

Chris had enough excercise and he needed rest.
    [​IMG]

The wife kept the fire going.
    [​IMG]

We had to keep our wits about us as there was a rabid dog lurking.
    [​IMG]

I gues we were being too loud because my neighbor came over to complain.

[​IMG]

Around 11:30 we decided we better get some rest for the final leg of the trip. With our machine safley stowed beneath the pines, we turned in. (no we didn't leave Chris out there)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another 6AM wake up call to start the day.
    A quick cup of coffee, tighten my chain and we were ready to go. Rob had a run in with a stategically laid dog pile which amused Chris and I.

We took off down the road to Bass River Park temporary entrance to see who we could find. Rob Girard (Sandflea) must have heard us coming as he pulled up coming from the section of closed road where the usual park entrance is. After a quick meet and greet, it was off to the bustling town center of New Gretna to find a breakfast snadwich and get on the road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sandflea catches up after his little mud puddle incident.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Arrive at Destination

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am extrmely happy with my Husqvarna TE 450. She performed flawlessly the entire trip. Not the most comfortable, but a whole lot of fun.

[​IMG]

Again a very big thanks to Rob for orchestrating this whole thing. It was fantastic and I look forward to doing it again!

Next time, I'll try to remember to take more pictures.

One last photo in closing.

[​IMG]
  11. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    Nice Ride Report.
    Nice friends!
    Lucky you! :thumb

Thanks.
    Q~
  12. smithy1

smithy1 been here a while

Oddometer:
    We had a great time! Rich (Ducati), my brother Loren (Xchallenge), and myself (GSA1200) rode together Friday.
    [​IMG]

Real nice country roads. This is Rich...
    [​IMG]

some historic sites...
    [​IMG]

Saturday Loren and I headed out on our own ahead of the rest of the crew. Checked out the "poor man's safari"..
    [​IMG]

great sand riding saturday. It was a blast! We finally found a camp just before dark. This is sunday morning...
    [​IMG]

Sunday took us through the lower 1/3 of nj. More great trails and views. Wow, can you tell we have been on the trail for 3 days??!!...
    [​IMG]

and our official destination...
    [​IMG]

Great time! Thanks rob and the rest of the crew for laying out this route.
    Shawn
  13. rw4x4van

rw4x4van East Coast Rider

Oddometer:
    First off, I would like to Thank Rob for putting this ride together and having the commitment to see it through. I know it's allot of work and I for one appreciate it.

On Saturday, I met Gerry at his house where we discussed a game plan, and to pick a point to ride to, where we could start riding the course backwards in hopes of meeting up with a group of riders

Well the spot and timing Gerry choose, couldn't have been more precise, 'cause as soon as we pulled off the highway and removed our helmets we could hear the sweet sounds of Rob, Todd, and Chris on there thumpers.....

After introducing our selves and giving the secret ADVR handshake, we departed for Bass River or parts unknown, which ever came first..

We had great weather and were fortunate to have no break downs,...you can't ask for much more than that.

Rob and Todd, Thanks for your assistance to me and my GPS :lol3

Chris, what can I say it's a "small world" :nod
    Gerry, it's always a pleasure:clap

......and big "Thank You" to Mrs.Todd for her hospitality, with the cold beer and chips :thumb

Here's a few pictures I took:
  14. rw4x4van

Oddometer:
  15. rw4x4van

Oddometer:
  16. rw4x4van

Oddometer:
  17. rw4x4van