To all the haters of hanging off the bike.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by VxZeroKnots, Dec 30, 2011.

1. slojon

slojon SLOJON

Oddometer:
    Yer mean like all the other guys on similar bikes that trailed way behind him.
  2. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hanging off is not just for racers and sport bike guys. It makes a big difference in cornering speed when you have limited ground clearance.

[​IMG]
  3. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Souped-Up Weasel

Oddometer:
    I can't even figure out what combination of control inputs gets you to that state.
  4. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe you can safely rule out anything involving the left grip :evil
  5. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Liar liar pants on fire.
  6. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    I'm certainly no hater of hanging off... I just know that 95% of the time I would be taking too much chance if I have to do so on the street. It's kind of like sliding the back wheel, there's a time and place for it to be done without stupid risk. I'm thinking it would be great fun to be able to play on a track and get to actually need to hang off in a safe situation... good surfaces and no Buicks.:clap
  7. wjpjump

wjpjump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    New market ... Elbow pucks .... Come pre scuffed for the meek poseur
  8. Benesesso

Benesesso Long timer

Oddometer:
    He's not hanging off much at all--compare with Casey in the first photo. These guys can ride far faster in the rain than the vast majority of us street riders can when it's dry. :eek1
  9. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    *yawn* Because Jamie James and Aaron Yates weren't doing that a decade ago, right?

And to point out the obvious- that's a racetrack, not a street. If you want me to be impressed, I want to see trucks coming around the other way, with fuel sloshing onto the surface and impatient gits on supermotards passing on blind corners.
  10. calamari_kid

calamari_kid Ootmik

Oddometer:
    Elbow down sumo style at 1:40.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0FJEpsC81X8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  11. lemieuxmc

lemieuxmc Banned

Oddometer:
    So if you go to the dark side you should also work up those hanging off skills?

Truly, hanging off on a Goldwing is kind of like working on your Winnebago drifting technique. Sure, you can do it but what's the point?
  12. nulluser

nulluser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't underestimate a Goldwing with a skilled rider!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0nrMQ3QwyPo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  13. HONKR

HONKR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    His commitment level is WAY higher than a equal rider on a more capable bike, and commitment is not what is needed on the street.
  14. high dangler

high dangler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ive seen this guy ride down there and chatted with him .
    He's got some track time before the wing..
    When its ingrained to corner a certain way you dont just turn it on and off.Doesnt really matter what bike.
  15. Idle

Idle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    omfg!!

The purpose of hanging off any bike is to achieve a faster corner speed, without running out of chassis clearance, or contact patch and crashing. I thought we went over this already..

Never have drifted a motorhome, but I've drifted a 1 ton dually chevy with a 12 foot steel dump bed. It was on a dirt road, and was quite fun, and... I got home a good 10 minutes earlier. That's the point. You should get out more.and open your mind.
  16. lemieuxmc

lemieuxmc Banned

Oddometer:
    I drifted Uncle Sams LMTV quite a bit on the dirt roads at Camp Shelby before going over to Iraq. I thought it might be good to know just how fast you could go in the thing if you really had to. It's not a very safe thing for the average driver to do and I would chew out the soldiers under my command if I found out that they did it without me there.

Now if you are a doctor rushing to the hospital and a Goldwing was the only vehicle at hand...

Or you might equate it to having a wild night of drunken sex with a 300 pound transexual. You did it, you had a good time, but afterward you realized that it was pretty lame and couldn't believe that you actually hit that action. :eek1
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The point is that it can be a lot of fun riding fast on a bike that has limited cornering clearance and is not normally considered fast. I used to have a blast surprising guys on sport bikes on my 83 Yamaha Venture. And yes, I did hang off.

But then, If I have to explain this to you, it's not likely that you'll understand.
  18. lemieuxmc

lemieuxmc Banned

Oddometer:
    But didn't the Yamaha handle kind of funny with Shirley the 300 pound transexual on the back?

I don't even want to try to understand... :freaky
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I'm sure there are many out there who wonder exactly why lemieuxmc is so against hanging off on the street. He actually does have a very good reason. Originally I wasn't going to post this story, but then I figured that people have a right to know.

Here' the story behind his hatred for hanging off.

Some time back, lemieuxmc got bored to constantly posting stuff to enlighten all of the un-educated inmates on ADV and he was tired of cruising the streets of La Jolla. He had heard that there was some good riding on Palomar Mountain so he decided to ride there. He was amazed at all the great scenery and twisty roads that existed outside of the city limits. Then he got to Palomar mountain and decided to ride up the East grade. He started up the mountain, thrilled at being able to lean his bike one way then the other on the constant high speed sweepers. Despite not hanging off he was absolutely enthralled with the feeling of speed. He felt that he now knew exactly how Valentino Rossi felt.

This went on for miles. What a ride:ricky

Then suddenly his ride was rudely interrupted by by a loud "potato potato potato" sound. Then a large motorcycle, piloted by a large person who was hanging off, crossed the double yellow line ( gasp! ) and passed him on the inside of a curve. His mood was instantly ruined. Too make matters worse, there were witnesses and it soon became known that he had been passed by Shirley on a Road King. He has never been able to live this down.

And that as they say is "the rest of the story"
  20. Megamoto

Megamoto Yes, I do look like this. Supporter

Oddometer:
    You know...I think I've been here before.
    [​IMG]

My boy at 14.

[​IMG]

Because it's fun........................