To all the haters of hanging off the bike.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by VxZeroKnots, Dec 30, 2011.

1. outlaws justice

outlaws justice On the Fringe

Oddometer:
    And for those that do not know, the rider is John, he is not a professional rider and has only done a few track days, this was one of his first that is why he was on the wing as he did not have anything else. He is also not a lifetime rider and has only been riding a handfull of years.
  2. Idle

Idle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oops, I figured since they were brothers, they had the same last name.
  3. outlaws justice

Oddometer:
    Ya, he is right up there with the Dr. huh?
  4. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    I'm sure you do better than Greg Tracy. And you still have a chance to enter the 2012 race, as it has been postponed due to forest fires.

Let's see you walking, I mean riding, your big talk.

Best of luck.
  5. outlaws justice

Oddometer:
    Thats funny, since I am not hear claiming to be the fastest or the best racer, You are pointing out people who you think are. and when I compare them to people we all have heard of you take offence, that is really funny. as atated above a rookie won in 2011 with a showroom bike.
  6. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    For those who consciously use countersteering every time they turn while in the twisties, try scooting your butt over just a bit -- like a few inches -- to the inside of the turn (do it before you are actually turning) and observe how the effort required on the inside bar to get the bike to lean changes. In my case it is significantly less. I don't really hang off much because I feel ridiculous scooting all over the place while I'm on the street.
  7. helotaxi

helotaxi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually they have everything to do with each other when "fear" is cited as the reason for people only riding < 6/10.
  8. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Take offense, you mean? I'm not only not taking offense from what you mentioned on that post, I actually have a lot of fun with posts here, including yours. To be honest, I felt like you were the one that was a bit offended that someone, especially an unknown rider in your perspective, could be considered fast with such a riding approach. So I apologize for bringing that up.

But man, you have to admit it, it is great when people succeed while doing things that are against what are considered the acceptable norms, right? And that is what I was pointing out in the first place. Ironically, it could be considered a form of outlaws justice for that guy to have won such a race in 2010, even if people consider it a minor race. So I know you understand it.

Anyway, thank you for your participation here. It has been a learning and amusing experience to me so far, and I know it will continue to be in the future. It is because of people like you that the internet is such a captivating experience.
    :beer
    Lion
  9. mfgc2310

mfgc2310 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Moving over is probably just getting yourself in line with the bike in a turn i.e. not fighting the lean - even without any butt move how many people fight the bike leaning - just letting yourself be one with the bike, in perfect balance will give you about 200 percent more cornering and easily scraping with no effort. (Even though this is fun - it is exactly why people crash when they come across gravel or oil or painted lines, use the brakes, etc, etc because they can get complacent and are eating dirt before they can react - and it is difficult to react in time if you already don't have the pegs loaded - on a cruiser, forward controls etc, all you can really do is ride the tires around the corner and hope traction does not change unexpectedly - you have to see the traction change on the road and drive around it) On a cruiser type bike with all the weight on your ass permanently all you can really do is move your but on the seat - but this is not really hanging unless when the bike starts to slide you can move your but to the other side of the seat quickly - better just stick to the counter steering and hope those dual compound tires hook up while you stay on the throttle- or slow down before the corner but that's no fun!

The guys do this on the super sport bikes because they don't have a seat and mostly to lower their C of G so the tires experience a greater vertical force allowing the bike to slide sideways - they slide sideways (a little bit) on purpose which they can control from this position If they sat up in line with the bike (in line with bikes C of G) when the tires slide they experience a dropping feeling (yup you've felt it) which feels like you are falling and they can not control that situation as everything is falling out from under them.

Riding in dirt or gravel this is also useful because the traction situation is always changing and weak and you are always turning at the limit of sliding - if you sit on the seat in line with the C of G of the bike when the bike slides you lose control - if your weight is on the foot pegs (where else if not on your ass) you effectively are hanging like the guy in the picture but not so extreme.

You can still be balanced with the bike just keep a bit of weight on your pegs evenly. If you expect to push to the limit of sliding the tires in a corner (sometimes intentionally) then you weight the inside peg (stealth hanging) and when it slides too much you straighten the bike (without you moving necessarily) by, adding power or weight the outside peg (some or all of the above) to regain control. If you decide to slow down (or have to) do more of all the above. Adding power should probably be combined with moving weight back as you want to improve rear traction and mostly lighten the front wheel.

My other thought is - keep in mind this extreme limit of performance in the picture is only (sanely) possible on a perfect surface, very consistent, smooth, flat, etc, etc. probably not your average local track - so I would not put these guys on too high a pedestal - but I agree it is awesome to see how they can go right to the limit of the machines ability consistently.
  10. TheAntiCage

TheAntiCage Adventurer

Oddometer:

Bahahahahaha! That was awesome. Not the smoothest while in the saddle. But he handled that bike like it was his bitch!
  11. gmk999

gmk999 ____ as a Rotax

Oddometer:
    Horsepower and balls:deal
  12. outlaws justice

Oddometer:
    And LOTS of Practice!