To all the haters of hanging off the bike.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by VxZeroKnots, Dec 30, 2011.

1. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:
    Good post.

:freaky
  2. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Speaking for myself only, I find there is a great satisfaction to dragging a knee (not just touching it briefly) through a long corner before standing the bike back up.

It's just flippin' fun. :D
  3. Frostback

Frostback Frostback

Oddometer:
    OK, Yossarian - I'll admit it. I am jealous. If I could get a knee down safely and regularly I might enjoy hell out of it too.

Lee
  4. lemieuxmc

lemieuxmc Banned

Oddometer:
    "There is no need to "let" someone make a safe pass, it's either safe for them to do so or it isn't."

The crux of the problem is that I have no idea if the judgement of the rider coming up behind me is adequate to make that call. I just prefer that they go on ahead and find the limits of their ability/luck without me.

Don't you drive big trucks for a living?

Surely, you have seen many unsafe passes that could easily have gotten someone killed. Or have you seen Shirley on the back of a bike that was making an unsafe pass? :huh
  5. stretch160

stretch160 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not the only squid:evil
    I was there too. Did you see a freakishly tall guy on a blue FZ1 with givi bags?
  6. Homey

Homey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually it's not. It's just another thing you do automatically. I think it actually makes it more fun.
  7. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't call me Shirley. :lol3

When I have my "professional" hat on there are no opinions, exceptions, justifications, excuses, desires, or wishes. I either do it completely right or I am totally wrong.

If I'm holding up traffic and there is a useable shoulder or turn out I get over. if I am being held up and can't pass properly, I slow down and back off.

I will not take any improper actions to facilitate the improper actions of others, but I will take what ever actions are necessary to not interfere with the actions of others.

I have no right to judge or police the actions of others, my only obligation is to always and without fail protect the safety of others regardless of the danger or inconvenience to me

I must always take responsibility for the failures of others.
  8. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:

Yeah, I saw you. You was hanging off on that blind corner that I was runnin wide on...

But no photographers, so it didn't happen.

:lol3:lol3:lol3

:freaky
  9. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Speaking for myself, I have never dragged a knee but it sure looks like fun and I don't have a problem with others doing something just because I don't do it.

The fun part for me is riding through a series of curves, getting the lines just right, leaning the bike way over, getting on the throttle just right coming out of the curves. Because I enjoy riding through the curves at a reasonably fast pace, I am happy to let someone faster than me by so they can enjoy it at their pace. I feel that I have something in common with others who share my love of riding and see no reason to obstruct their ability to enjoy their ride.

Although Harley riders are often bashed in this forum, I have come up behind a number of them who were courteous enough to move over and wave me by. I guess there are people who are courteous, or who aren't, on every type of bike. And that includes the bikes with ADV stickers on them.
  10. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Souped-Up Weasel

Oddometer:
    Preach it, brother!:freaky
  11. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Souped-Up Weasel

Oddometer:
    You can, bro. Buy a used SV-650. Do some track days. It'll happen before you know it. It's so much fun it makes you giggle like a little girl.

Eidt: You can too, Klav. Just do it!
  12. kpt4321

kpt4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huh?

Slowing down, moving over, and acknowledging that you are aware that they want to pass are ALL actions that can make a pass significantly safer for all parties involved.

There are multiple reasons to let people by. One is simple courtesy, in that it does little harm to you and can help them enjoy their ride. The other is that it can enhance safety by the two of you working together to make a pass in a safe fashion, rather than forcing the guy behind you to do it all himself.

Are you the kind of person who stands in the middle of an escalator and doesn't let people by?
  13. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    I would hope at the very least that the rider being overtaken would hold his/her line and not make any crazy maneuvers.
  14. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:

Windmill also said:

Fortunately the asinine opinions of a few on this forum and others rarely carry over to the real world where I live, and I have virtually no problems with either group of "special" riders.

Opinions and actions are 2 different things.

Maybe you missed this part or didn't understand it.

I take it to mean:

Kool down Keyboard Kowboys.
  15. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can hope all you want, but reality is that you don't know what that rider is going to do. Could be they're at their personal 10/10ths mark and having someone try to pass them is going to be bad. Your value of "safe place to pass" may not be the same as mine. What's going to happen when one of us exceeds the other's values?
  16. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    Of course there's always the possibility of something going awry when one vehicle overtakes another. It's primarily the responsibility of the overtaker to make the pass safely.

An alternative, not passing at all, is not very palatable.

Allow me to add; if when overtaking, it's my judgment that the driver/rider I am overtaking is at 10/10ths or erratic, I will back off and forgo any pass attempt. The risk/reward equation becomes too unbalanced in that scenario.
  17. kpt4321

kpt4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is just another good reason to let people by. If you're at 10/10ths (bad, but maybe) and someone doesn't know it, they might try to make a pass when THEY think it is safe, not realizing that it could cause a crash.

The attitude of "I'm in front, and I won't make any effort to help people passing me" seems so wrong to me.
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    +1

Another alternative, if passing is not a safe option, is to pull over, give the slow bike/vehicle some time to get ahead, then continue at a fun pace. I often use this technique, but I much prefer being able to pass.

As for courtesy, a lot of car, SUV, and truck drivers have pulled over and let me pass. If they can do it, I don't see we a motorcyclist can't. I suspect that those who are against letting another rider by either have little or no experience on twisty roads, or ride so slow that they don't understand those who get enjoyment out of riding fast.
    Or maybe I'm wrong and they are just plain inconsiderate.
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I could. I used to hang off quite a bit but didn't have knee sliders so I never attempted to touch my knee down. I also used to have a SV650 but found that I could ride it better if I didn't hang off unlike my previous sport bikes.

Now I'm getting older, slowing down and don't really have a bike all that suitable for knee dragging. If I ever get another sport bike, I may give it a try.
  20. outlaws justice

outlaws justice On the Fringe

Oddometer:
    A few of My favorites.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]