1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

To lower or go roadie? The adventures of a short Irishman with sand in his vag.

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ubermick, Jun 10, 2019.

1. ubermick

ubermick Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mother of... found a good deal on a 2018 XRT locally. Called the dealer, told him I'd seen the ad including their price and could he let me know their out the door price.

I expected tax and the state taking their munch. But these fuckers whacked on over $2,000 in fees to boot.

$369 document fees
    $595 Freight
    $599 dealer prep
    $521.95 title fee
    $1,260 taxes

Now, I've never bought a new bike but did some looking around and these fees seem like about twice what they should be?!?! (And California's DMV site says that I should be looking at $1,200 in tax which includes registration, title, license, etc etc.)
  2. RichardD

RichardD Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know I said this before but if you install top of the line suspension on your bike it will be way better than a new bike suspension. Get the length shock that comes on the xr. I ordered my Penske with the optional height adjustment so I can lower it 1 inch from xr height. That shock and ak20 fork cartridges from Traxxion dynamics are less than that dealers fees for that new bike. I guarantee my suspension is better than anything stock on any bike. They set it up for your weight and riding style as well. I will never hesitate to spend money to upgrade on any future bike I buy . Do some research. You can go to any bike forum and not find one negative comment about Traxxion dynamics and everyone will say suspension is probably the best place to spend money. My 2015 xrx suspension sucked. I felt every pebble in the road and it would not hold a line at speed. I can now put the bike anywhere I want it.
    blk-betty likes this.
  3. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The XRX suspension isn't spectacular, but certainly not as bad as some have said. I can totally understand their impression though. The biggest problem is that it takes many thousands of miles to break in and get ride of the stiction. After that, it is great for most riding. Once you load it up with 80lbs of luggage, the rear shock is Slightly underspring and underdamped.

What you do get with the roadie is nice cast tubeless wheels. The front accepts a 110 radial, which makes a world of difference.

Have you considered posting you bike for trade? Maybe someone feels they made a mistake with getting an XRx. New, the tiger isn't that great of a deal and the fees etc would sting. Trading for a similar mileage bike could be relatively cheap, especially for you since you have the more expensive XC
    jwc, ubermick and blk-betty like this.
  4. ubermick

Oddometer:
    I've thrown my XCA up for sale locally - I'll add it to the FM in here in a bit. I've been chatting with riding buddies, my wife, and frankly having a good long think on my own and decided that butchering her for my own shortcomings (SEE WHAT I DID THERE!?!?!?) or letting her suffer in the garage while I deal with my yips, she's better off going to a loving home instead, while I take the money for something more suited to my horrific stumpiness.

So if anyone wants a 2016 XCA with an Arrow exhaust for $9,999 lemme know!
  5. Coyote1000

Coyote1000 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I see you had a 700gs. My wife just traded her 15 700gs for a 19 xrx and loves it. I have a 15 xcx. She rides much more confidently on the Tiger. I have tried her Tiger and the new controls are really nice.
    ubermick likes this.
  6. ubermick

Oddometer:
    Starting to look like the XCA will be rehomed soon. Had a guy look at it who seemed very interested, have another coming tomorrow morning, and another on Monday night. Guy who came today seemed solid, a good match for her, so offered him a really good deal.

So now eyeing XRTs and have to decide on a new one, or go with a used Gen 2.
  7. Timps27

Timps27 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I always prefer used myself, especially if you can find one with farkles you like, my 2012 Xc came with about $3,000 in extras I would have put on if I bought a newer bike. Glad you are finding a new home for her and finding another Tiger that will suit you better!
  8. CharlieBarley

CharlieBarley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Daytona M-Stars do run 1/2 size big in US sizes. In Euro sizes, I wear a 43 for my Sidi boots, but I got the Daytonas in 42. Perfect!! I loved my Sidi Canyons and have more than 20k miles in them, but the Daytonas are so much more comfortable and give me the extra lift, I'm not going back to the Sidis.
  9. ubermick

Oddometer:
    Haha, I already have everything the new bike will need - I stripped her back to stock before putting her up for sale. Luggage, tool tubes, barkbusters, GPS, Fuzeblock, headlight protector and more are all waiting for their next bike to get slapped onto!
    Timps27 likes this.
  10. jbkrab

jbkrab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have a 2018 1200 XCa. Low seat and Soupy's Lowering links. Between the two items, I am about 2.5" lower, not flat footed but close. Much more confident. 5' 8" 29" inseam.
  11. dc21811

dc21811 n00b

Oddometer:
    Just came across this thread, not sure if you sold you bike already or not. I have an 2017 XCx that is the low ride height model from Triumph and I’ll swap you suspension straight up if you want. I checked in to this and it’s forks and rear shock. It is WP suspension.
  12. ubermick

Oddometer:
    I actually ended up selling the XCA and bought that 2018 XRT. Great bike, but honestly... I miss the BMW. That ol; F650GS twin was set up **perfectly** for me in every way, and fit me like a glove. The XRT is almost a year old, and I've only put about 200 miles on it. (Low speed lowside before Christmas, enough to screw up my ankle for a couple of months, and now have the absolute yips... combined with the fact that six months of lockdown means my riding gear is now a bit... er, snug.)
  13. Timps27

Timps27 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Haha, what is this magic property that causes lockdown to shrink my gear! I’ve noticed the same!
    ubermick likes this.
  14. hawkbox

hawkbox 800 (Ironhide!) Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have no idea what you're talking about! My gear simply shrunk! Hanging on a hook in the garage....
  15. ubermick

Oddometer:
    CRAZY how that happened. The WHO should be investigating this as well as the 'ronas - it's fairy widespread (ahahaha).
    hawkbox likes this.
  16. Norty01

Norty01 Occupant

Oddometer:
    I know where there's a lowered 2013 XR800 for sale. 25,000ish miles. Ridercoach owned. It's blue and runs well. GF owns it. She's a member here, but rarely on forums.
    Me? I'm here all the time!
    Saving 4-5 grand might be appealing...
  17. ubermick

Oddometer:
    lol - again, already sold the XCA and bought an XRT.