To relieve any boredom # 3 What is the one best modification you have done to your bike

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by young1, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Suspension mods. Put 48mm closed cartridge forks (Kayaba - YZ250) & an Ohlins shock on Gus. Massive difference in all roads capability.

[​IMG]
    Watercat, dazzadm, glitch_oz and 6 others like this.
  2. Voltaire

Voltaire Titanium and Ceramic Hipster

Oddometer:
    electric starter conversion 5A2A4D98-B540-428F-8F7B-7B8BE6702A9E.jpeg as to buggered to kick over 9.5:1 Combat motor. you can just see it peeking over primary case.
    Watercat, Mc107, Willdat and 8 others like this.
  3. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Picture please?
  4. zzzak

zzzak Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    950 001.JPG

[​IMG]

The KTM seat was good for 100k at best, also the Corbin is lower.
    Manakau.KTM, MrKiwi and young1 like this.
  5. zzzak

zzzak Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was looking at the two seats and made some observations that may or may not be of interest, first the standard seat is just a lump of foam with a cover stapled on to hold it in place, this might work for bikes where you are standing most of the time but it's no good for extended sitting, it doesn't offer any support and after about 100k it's numb bum time.

The Corbin on the other hand has a lower seating position and a nice broad platform on which to place your derriere, it also has the advantage that you can slide back to a cooler part of the seat on a long journey which is very welcome here in Aus on a hot day, the best bit of the Corbin is where you actually sit, where it curves you can sort of see a shaped area that supports your pelvis and I think that is the secret, the first time I sat on it I noticed that my pelvis was supported on both sides almost like sitting on a couple of cups and there was no pressure on my buttocks so that's about it, it doesn't matter how fast you are or how well the bike handles, if you're not comfortable and pain free you're not having a good time.
    Night Falcon and young1 like this.
  6. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    For us the intercom made the biggest difference to our rides. I changed the dynamic of two people on the same bike travelling and only communicating at stops to being able to talk while we rode. Being able to talk about what you are seeing or weather your experiencing. The pillion can also help navigate. On the TAT Dawn could see our route sheet holder and trip meter and could watch the distance to turns which meant I could focus on the riding. When things get a bit boring we have quizzes. Also they are another set of eyes and can remind you when overseas, the right side of the road to pull out onto.
    Looking at changing to a wireless system now.
    image.jpg
    dazzadm, Takataka, Rosie! and 4 others like this.
  7. ALLMOSTHERE

ALLMOSTHERE Make to best of everything

Oddometer:
    IMG_4489.JPG I haven't run out of things to do in my mind
    Doing on the bike is a different story I have no resources here in Colombia I can't even buy a fnnn drill bit. they have a thing called quarantine
    Stock Exhaust trunk on my f700gs just plain sucks I purchased Motorrad vario panniers and supports when I bought the bike because Motorrad seems to have the narrowest width when the panniers are not expanded the panniers kinda conform around the fuel tank on the RH side and around the exhaust on the LH side The exhaust I think this is a problem with most bikes No Pannier brackets are symmetrical except the Ktm 990 dual EXH Good job Team orange

The problem In my mind is the exhaust is angled up about 40 deg and it gets in the way of the LH pannier
    I was looking into installing a ARROW exhaust it is narrower ,shorter and lighter then the stock trunk.
    reducing the angle of the install to about 25 deg would give clearance for a decent Pannier like a Touratech or anything that is the same on both sides with custom brackets
    I don't Know why Givi, Touratech or any manufacturer has not thought of dropping the exhaust by making a pipe adapter and support for the exhaust
    Overall Width would be at least 4 inches less with a strait side panniers and with a modified pannier you could probably gain 6 inches
    and I don't see any problem with the exhaust being too low or being in the way of the swing arm or brake assy.

Any aftermarket kits available

Ohh back to mods I installed Rigid Ignite Spot Leds and haven't been out to try them
    No Riding here unless you can endure IMG_4491.JPG a Colombian jail
  8. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    20200523_121024.jpg There's a long list of mods I've done to the bike over the years and each one has been an improvement. But lightening the front end of the bike, by almost 10kgs, was day and night to the handling. This included replacing the forks with 46mm KYB USD's and replacing the instrument cluster completely. And still it continues...
  9. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Reckon a fresh front tyre would be a big improvement......:-):1drink
    Mc107 and KiwiPewe like this.
  10. ALLMOSTHERE

Oddometer:
    Paid 65 can. for this new Givi top case rack It was made for the 52 L which is flat on top
    as you can see this case is not flat Compound curves. Complex problem with a simple solution IMG_4564.JPG IMG_4563.JPG
    zzzak, young1 and dazzadm like this.
  11. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    put a sidecar on it.... no longer wants to fall over...

Mc107 and zzzak like this.
  12. spmcg

spmcg n00b

Oddometer:
    I replaced the 'small' style front and rear turn signal lenses on the CX500 with the 'larger' style found on the US models and on many other Honda motorcycles, including (oddly enough) on models made and sold before this 1982 CX500. These larger-style turn signals are, well, larger, so are in theory more visible to other road users. This required installing the slightly different handlebar cowl bracket for US/Canada models - it has larger knurled end pieces to accept the larger diameter of the turn signal stalks.
    2020-01-25 15.35.19.jpg
    In addition, I replaced the front lenses with Kuryakyn clear lens and also installed Sylvania LED bulbs front and rear, along with a new electronic flasher that will run LEDs, incandescent or a mixture. Finally, since I used the US/Canada version turn singals that comes with two wires, one of which is for running lights, I was able to have running lights, not a standard feature on the NZ/AU/UK models that came with the smaller single filament bulb turn signals. The wiring is actually already in the headlight bucket for these, just not hooked up.
    2020-02-08 16.05.06.jpg
    Its not easy to see in a photo but the LEDs (here on running light mode) are quite bright and also have a slight 'arrow' effect, pointing out from the centre of the motorcycle. I like to think it attracts attention. Photo taken at Sherenden around February - it was so dry out there that the leaves were already dying...
    Dave Young, young1 and MrKiwi like this.
  13. Timbatrader

Timbatrader Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The riding position on my RS was getting hard on my wrists so I packed up the handlebar clamps with a second set under them to give the effect of using bar risers but that put my helmut right up in the buffeting zone coming off the standard windscreen so I made an extra low screen it works better than I expected my jacket has very little wind pressure and my head is in clean airflow IMG_0429.JPG BMW RS screen.JPG
  14. ahebron

ahebron Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Plus one for the Corbin.
    Fitted one I bought off Trademe to my 1150GS and transformed the bike.
    I have done a lot of mods but that has to be the best one to make it rideable.

Adrian
    young1 and zzzak like this.
  15. slowkiwi

slowkiwi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ABF5BF3D-16BC-41DC-AD1C-E9A03186C8CC.png The best ‘single’ mod I have ever done was to fit a Hardkits package to my 690. It changed it from a basic dirt bike into a serious adventure bike. With 30 litres of fuel, wind protection and luggage capacity, added to a good chsssis & motor, maybe the perfect bike?
    Dave Young, Watercat, young1 and 3 others like this.
  16. ALLMOSTHERE

Oddometer:
    Py2EEvy0Tx2cFMGrry+0wA.jpg
    I bought a f800r Akrapovic and had to refit it on the f700gs I moved it inward 2.5 inch now I can buy 38 liter Motech panniers and modify the lh rack to match the rh to hug the bike finally got the trunk off this machine eb1tp9FhTNCaKKyPM7vNzg.jpg