To the Gate of Time – 2200 kms of steppe,river crossings and empty vodka bottles by Mongolian Moped

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by KTMInduro, Oct 6, 2016.

1. KTMInduro

KTMInduro Off Road Montster

Oddometer:
    Walter tells up that 10km ahead is an area with dinosaur footprints embedded in the rock. I ride up ahead and climb up onto one of the huge rock outcrops dotted in the landscape to photograph the lads

[​IMG]

We call a halt and I cook lunch. Its pretty cold up here ...........

[​IMG]

After lunch Walter suggests we warm up by doing some Mongolian wrestling :drums

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mongolia 1 ; Bali bikers 1

I cheer on the action with a few small sips of GG and pass the oportunity to defeat Walter, using previous MX injuries as an excuse to opt out of the comp. :photog

[​IMG]

A dinosaurs footprint..... ? It is according to Walter.

[​IMG]

Bayan Ondor in the distance. Walter leaves us here. We give him some tugrik for his petrol and guiding service, and we wave him off. Good guy.

[​IMG]

Here you can tie your horse up outside the supermarket.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The winds been blowing all day and its its pretty barren and the riding is fairly miserable out here....

I want to ride on further but Mike & Trev tell me they are ready to call it a day. Not sure where to camp out here, so we ride on a bit. Mike suggests we head off track towards the hills to try to find somewhere out of the wind.

We follow a small single track up to the opening of a a valley between two hills. Soft green grass, a stream and out of the wind. Its a pretty awesome find considering how nasty it was out on the plain. We make camp.

The stream looks so good and I havn't had a wash since UB..........so I jump in with a frying pan to pitch water over me. It is bloody freezing and nigh on painful. I grit my teeth and bear it as i desperately get some soap on me before submerging myself and getting the hell out of the water as quickly as I possibly can. I think my balls are up at tonsil level. My whole body is tingling as Mike and Trev watch on in amazement.
    After sitting in the sun for a couple of minutes I'm feeling much better. I tell Trev and Mike that they stink and should take a bath too. I get my camera ready.......

:imaposer

[​IMG]

:lol3

[​IMG]

The sky clears, although its still pretty cold ......

Its a great spot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    West of the Illinois, heart of the state!
    Man, everyone but me gets to have all the fun; I hope you guys know how lucky you are! But, if you think about it, Mongolians get to do it everyday! LIfe is hard, then you die...
    KTMInduro likes this.
  3. KTMInduro

Oddometer:
    A new day in Mong...

[​IMG]

Mike seems happy after his morning absolution with a view

[​IMG]

I have my own mountain

[​IMG]

I clamber around for a while and spot a Ruddy Shelduck . Love this new camera...

[​IMG]

Wikepedia tells me

The ruddy shelduck (Tadorna ferruginea), known in India as the Brahminy duck, is a member of the family Anatidae. It is a distinctive waterfowl, 58 to 70 cm (23 to 28 in) in length with a wingspan of 110 to 135 cm (43 to 53 in). It has orange-brown body plumage with a paler head, while the tail and the flight feathers in the wings are black, contrasting with the white wing-coverts. It is a migratory bird, wintering in the Indian subcontinent and breeding in southeastern Europe and central Asia, though there are small resident populations in North Africa. It has a loud honking call.

The ruddy shelduck mostly inhabits inland water-bodies such as lakes, reservoirs and rivers. The male and female form a lasting pair bond and the nest may be well away from water, in a crevice or hole in a cliff, tree or similar site. A clutch of about eight eggs is laid and is incubated solely by the female for about four weeks. The young are cared for by both parents and fledge about eight weeks after hatching.

Lilies growing beside the stream........

[​IMG]

Trev is knackered, so we decide its a good idea to take a rest day . We have food and booze a plenty and this camp beside the stream really is the dogz.

[​IMG]

We all take the chance to wash some clothes then sit out in the sun and chill. I get my binoculars out and spot Mongolia's iconic bird the Demoiselle Crane

[​IMG]

Wiki.....
    The demoiselle crane (Grus virgo) is a species of crane found in central Eurasia, ranging from the Black Sea to Mongolia and North Eastern China.

The demoiselle is 85–100 cm (33.5–39.5 in) long, 76 cm (30 in) tall and has a 155–180 cm (61–71 in) wingspan. It weighs 2–3 kg (4.4–6.6 lb). It is the smallest species of crane.[3][4] The demoiselle crane is slightly smaller than the common crane but has similar plumage. It has a long white neck stripe and the black on the foreneck extends down over the chest in a plume.
    It has a loud trumpeting call. Like other cranes it has a dancing display, more balletic than the common crane, with less leaping.

The demoiselle crane lives in a variety of different environments, including desert areas and numerous types of grasslands (flooded, mountain, temperate and tropical grassland) which are often within a few hundred metres of streams or lakes. However, when nesting, they prefer patchy areas of vegetation which is tall enough to conceal them and their nests, yet short enough to allow them look out for predators whilst incubating their eggs.
    These cranes are migratory birds. Birds from western Eurasia will spend the winter in Africa whilst the birds from Asia, Mongolia and China will spend the winter in the Indian subcontinent. Demoiselle cranes have to take one of the toughest migrations in the world. In late August through September, they gather in flocks of up to 400 individuals and prepare for their flight to their winter range. During their migratory flight south, demoiselles fly like all cranes, with their head and neck straight forward and their feet and legs straight behind, reaching altitudes of 16,000–26,000 feet (4,900–7,900 metres). Along their arduous journey they have to cross the Himalayan mountains to get to their over-wintering grounds in India. Many die from fatigue, hunger and predation from golden eagles.

[​IMG]
  4. KTMInduro

Oddometer:
    Mike & I decide to explore up the valley behind the camp. Its great to ride without full saddlebags.

[​IMG]

We find the source of our bathwater....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The trail gets drier and there are multiple valleys heading off to the left and right. Its good fun out here. :ricky

[​IMG]

We follow a single track for a few kilometres and there in the valley is a shipping container ! How the hell did that get out here ? :scratch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beside the container is a corral. We park up the bikes and go take a look.

The whole place is completely deserted but Mike is not happy. He thinks that's a dead dog in the pen. :yikes

[​IMG]
    Indeed there's a lot of dead things lying around :eekers

[​IMG]

Damn - there's bones and fur everywhere

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It looks like nomads might over winter in this valley with their livestock. God knows what goes on here for 6 months of the year.

[​IMG]

Mike says he's getting really bad vibes from this whole scene and senses bad shit has gone down here and is freaked. He wants to get the hell out of here. Now.

[​IMG]

Mike rides off ahead of me.

[​IMG]

The valley intersections create a maze. I'm just following Mike and not paying much attention . I realise that I don't recognise the terrain and take a look at the map screen on my GPS.
    We've taken a wrong turn about 2 kilometres back. That was too easy and very weird as i usually have a good sense of direction. Pictures spring to mind of getting completely lost and having to survive for weeks by gnawing at the bones of dead horses.
    I'm sensing the bad juju now also :grim :lol3

Thankfully we have the GPS so are able to escape these haunted valleys and get back on track.

We ride fast.........:lol3

[​IMG]
    LC8TY, Balimike, gulfcoaster and 3 others like this.
  5. Balimike

Balimike n00b

Oddometer:
    Man, this brings me right back to that "Creepy Coral" and the nightmare of getting lost in those valleys. Strange place!