Tobacco motorwear McCoy jacket

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by CPTCO, May 21, 2019.

1. CPTCO

CPTCO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used to race off road in a Barbour jacket. Waxed cotton sux. It gets dirty, smells, and ain't worth a shit when cold as it gets stiff. For $700 it means you have more bucks than brains.
  3. a2ronm

a2ronm Ti-6Al-4V

Oddometer:
    My regular sized XL arrived today (Kickstarter backer) and I'm out enjoying a coffee after a short ride on the Ural.

It is my first waxed cotton jacket in a long line of textile and leather jackets.

Unfortunately temps have climbed to high 80's here in South Carolina already and even on the "naked" Ural, it was a hot ride.

More to come.
  4. CPTCO

CPTCO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well thanks for that. I had considered the jacket being waxed canvas an advantage, but will debate that in my mind.
  5. CPTCO

CPTCO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let me know for sure. I've had leather and textile too. More than anything I wanted a go to jacket that I could wear even if I wasn't riding. Does it fit that bill?
  6. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    When i started riding on the road i wore shitty old ancient leather jackets that never suited my long armed carcass. I still remember the first time i wore a borrowed Belstaff jacket for a day, so good i bought one. After some years bought my first modern textile, now i clearly remember my lasting thoughts on waxed cotton jackets and they are exactly as Strong Bad sums it up above. Modern textile with Goretex laminate liner as my aussie Tiger Angel is made wins out with me. Gotta admit the waxed cottons look great, evocative throwback etc, good for a ride to the latte bar but all day nah, gimme the modern stuff.:bubba
    CPTCO likes this.
  7. Aircooled6racer

Aircooled6racer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Take a look at the Olympia Troy jacket and the Aether jackets. I like my Troy jacket but the Aether stuff is super nice. I have two of their pants that I got on sale.
    CPTCO likes this.
  8. a2ronm

a2ronm Ti-6Al-4V

Oddometer:
    I think I have the high tech super fabrics gear covered

20171019_092049.jpg
    20190517_115328.jpg

Along with the infamous leather 3/4 length Hein-Gericke, an Icon 1000 Arkorp and 3 Olympia jackets (1 of which is a Phantom suit) I wanted to try a waxed cotton jacket out.

Your experience may vary, but I wouldn't ride without the armor and with the armor it is somewhat bulky (not BULKY like my Bandlands) for a casual non-moto jacket.

It doesn't scream "motorcycle" like my other gear does (although recent experience in Bastrop TX "...were you shot out of a cannon..." comment about my Badlands and an older comment in Rock Hill SC "...are you an astronaut..." once when I stopped for gas wearing my hi-viz Phantom has me questioning what is the "motorcycle" look).

I didn't get a feel for it yet on my 2 stop ride today, other than even at half zipped I didn't find that it vented as well as my opened up Badlands or my semi-mesh Olympia Bushwacker jackets. I'll see how it does on the next ride.
    CPTCO likes this.