Toby Price (God Amongst men) - 2016 DAKAR MOTO winner and 2018 CCR WORLD CHAMPION.

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Wodger63, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Angry Pete

Angry Pete Yeah, whatever

Oddometer:
    It’s a conspiracy, the organisers cannot grow a Mullet and don’t eat pies, “we slow dis skippy down Manuel, I have de broken Yee Pee Ss”
    Oldfatbeerman likes this.
  2. 0405canvet

0405canvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    2019 Dakar has been shortened? Why only one country??
  3. a2zworks

a2zworks Así es la vida

Oddometer:
    I have an idea, I am South American.
    Presidents of other countries probably asking for larger amounts of gold into their personal Swiss vaults.
  4. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    I have an idea. The presidents of other South American countries didn't take to aso asking for large amounts of gold, it's not the way business should be done.
  5. Dakar Dan

Dakar Dan Long timer

Oddometer:
    “Robbed” was the quote from ADB mag.
  6. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    In recent years - since 2009 - the governments of Argentina, Chilé, Uraguay, Bolivia and Peru (and their respective tourism arms - primarily) were approached by the DAKAR organisers - ASO - to contribute a substantial fee, for the privelige of hosting the high profile media event that is "the DAKAR".

To begin with, the government PR dept's flocked to the idea... subsequently over the years, the willingness to "cough up" had diminished somewhat at various times, at varios stages, in varios countries. Some cited national disaster as a reason for declining (Chilé earthquake), some cited the environmental impact as the reason (Peru a few years ago and some of it's "archeological significant" areas)... others cited economic reasons/GFC as a reason (Argentina of late)... and some - probably just got tired of the gouge.

End result for 2019 (and it has been a trend the last four/five years), is that only Peru wanted to play for this time around... so it will be a ten day (shorted from the usual two week) DAKAR next january, that loops around in and out of the various Peruvian sandpits (which are veeeery sandy)... but not the continental marathon that it has been of past. :1drink
    a2zworks and Mouse like this.
  7. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    time to go back to Africa then! Maybe.

Or Kazakhstan :)

Or New York....
  8. a2zworks

a2zworks Así es la vida

Oddometer:
    Uruguay, really? wouldn't be challenging, I would be able to compete in it.
    Country is mostly undulating pastoral land, no deserts and no mountains or big enough land mass, sparsely populated though. Run the risk of riders falling asleep at the wheel.

Uruguayans are the nicest people on the planet though (declaimer, I was born in Montevideo, hence some times the spanglish comes out in my posts :D)

Adios,
    Pablo Rafael Michelin
    Angry Pete and Mouse like this.
  9. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Uraguay paid the royalty a few years ago, for the privelige of hosting the ceremonial start and first nights (promotional) bivouac... No competition was conducted in Uraguay (or maybe just a short "prologue" - I can't remember?)... but mostly just a rather long transport stage (back) into Argentina and the Cordoba region, for the first (WRC rally) style gravel road stages that area is famous for. It's not really "DAKAR" desert country... no.
    a2zworks likes this.
  10. Angry Pete

Angry Pete Yeah, whatever

Oddometer:
    I’ve really enjoyed watching the Dakar from South America, the stages have been interesting, the scenery incredible, the local support (referring to spectators) has also been outstanding.
    But it seems the juggernaut that is now the Dakar maybe just too expensive to run, with ASO painting themselves into a corner by their extortion of the Counties of South America. I’m sure the negotiation is complex, but look at how the event has morphed into the current model from Thierry Sabine’s original vision.
    But then my background is closed circuit road racing and dirt track, not enduro/rallye, so I’ve got no idea
    troy safari carpente and Mouse like this.
  11. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    Exactly, Pete, I reckon it's jumped the shark, no country will both pay the fee and put up with the potential (and probably perceived mainly) environmental fall out, its days are dusted.

Troy - why did china can the silkyway?
  12. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    It's all a bit "secret squirrel hush hush" as to exactly what happened, and all Went down very hastily - in virtually a few days back in June - but they cancelled (postponed) the China leg of the event, and ran a shortened - all Russia - 7 stage rally in late July, that finished in Moscow. There was to be an - all China - version that was to be conducted in September, but to my knowledge - that hasn't (or isn't) going to happen now.

This caught aussie competitor - Steve Riley - out, as he already had his Holden V8/4WD ute on the boat to China... when the news broke... so he had to re-route the container to Perth WA and is now going to send the green brUTE to Peru for the DAKAR in January.

The official PR blurb for the cancellation of the China leg of the SilkWay, was something about the Antinov Aircraft used for the logistics of the rally, being too big for the airstrips planned? But the scuttlebutt is that there was some big internal friction/tussle between the China interests and the Russian interest behind the scenes....

That the Russian event went ahead... but the subsequent China leg has not come off... seems to lend some weight to those suspicions...
    BergDonk, ferals5 and Mouse like this.
  13. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    Thank you. Did seem late notice for such a radical change and I'm guessing these aircraft have been around a while.

Maybe the organisers didn't use the right coloured ink on their Chinese application forms...
  14. 0405canvet

0405canvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    How much longer will TP put up with the BS before moving FT to 4x4’s?? If big Rallye’s are getting watered down or canceled then even KTM may say enough, like they did with the WEC?
  15. Dakar Dan

Dakar Dan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gee, it’s almost like the ASO need to seek a large continental land mass, with hostile & diverse terrain but good arterial roads and deep water ports for access. Perhaps within a single country so less visa, currency and language concerns. A relatively stable government and penchant for motorsports perhaps? Suggestions, anyone...
    GodSilla likes this.
  16. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    Eh? Where's the connection? The silky way was a cars only event - no bikes allowed. It is events that are being affected not classes.

Don't follow your argument...
  17. ferals5

ferals5 Team black bikes

Oddometer:
    I doubt TP will be a fan of the 'sandpit' Dakar in Peru insert 'but he rides finke' replies here... Sam Sunderland must be the favourite if he's fully healed.
    Locally he already has a much publicised car/truck, I very much doubt he'll return to finke on the bike given the prize money on offer... risk/reward.
    Internationally he's still contracted to orange.

:y0!
    mcguyver likes this.
  18. 0405canvet

0405canvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    ISDT then ISDE was the top off road event for many years but now considered a bit of a holiday to the point that many top riders aren’t interested in riding it. Extreme events like Ersberg seem to be more popular. 47 Aussies to Romaniacs this year??
    Dakar down to one country and one week?
    Is it just getting too expensive to run large events?
  19. mcguyver

mcguyver Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your talking about New Zealand arent you. Australia would be nice but too much red tape
  20. buckscreek

buckscreek AUTODIDACTIC

Oddometer:
    I watched the video at the start of this thread again, and I've finally realised what I've been doing wrong all these years. I use both wheels on the big fast sandy whoops. Silly me.
    a2zworks and cobrin like this.