Tok, Tuk, Tok- on a 2007 KLX250S

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by X-wing fighter, Jun 13, 2019.

1. X-wing fighter

X-wing fighter Do or Do not, There is no try!!!!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    1. Why is he doing on a 2000 mile road trip on a KLX250s when he has a perfectly excellent Buell XB12X that would chew up that road?

2. Why is he planning on camping so much?

3. Why the hell is there a 10 day, 2000 mile, 2 country trip doing in day trippin?

4. Tok-Tuk-Tok? He is from Fairbanks or Ester isn’t he? Man, I hate this guy already. IMG_1112.JPG
  2. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    1. My 2007 Kawasaki KLX250S is currently the only vehicle I have purchased brand new from a dealer. With only 2700 miles it is also the “least used” and the newest (all other plated vehicles I own are 2006 and older. Wait the wife has a 2015 Mini Countryman, but that’s hers). It is the only vehicle I own that both of my children have ridden. It’s light and efficient (so far without luggage). Plus, if needed, I am pretty confident I can ride it on just about any road or trail I put her tires on. Slow, but I’ll get there! The Buell I have decided to not tear up. She is a great commuter and eats long stretches of slab with gusto! However parts are harder to get and she will have more adventures in the future! Plus she already has had D2D experience in 2017 and 2018!

2. My wife hates camping! I grew up camping! I love camping! I have camped off of a BMW r1200 GSA, Road glide, V-strom 1000 and a Buell Ulysess, but this is a different animal. The KLX cannot carry what the GSA could. Packing has been painful!

3. If I wasn’t hanging out in Dawson City for D2D for a few of days, this trip would be less than a week. This is a test/shakedown ride. Yes, most people shake down and then head to TUK. I’m already in Alaska, Tuk is my first shakedown ride for possible longer adventures. It is a bucket list ride for sure, but this trip I would not classify as EPIC simply because it really isn’t too far for me.

4. So I am leaving from work tomorrow and staying At Thompsons Eagle claw motorcycle campground in Tok, AK. My last night on the road I’m staying there again. So for a better title I just cut off the 216 miles on the front and back end, which really just makes it a 1500 mile ride. Oh well it’s not about the numbers it’s about the ride! Tok, Tuk, Tok!

Additional notes: This is my first ride report, please be patient and kind! I am going to be doing more campground write-ups and photos of the facilities at campgrounds along the way than what I have seen previously. I’ve seen lots of pictures of tents and bikes, but latrines, bear lockers, cooking areas, and other amenities are often not pictured. Ha Ha ha and I have a habit of posting here and then immediately editing because I saw an error or wanted to add more info! Again, please be patient and kind!
  3. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    Day 0: Today Started like any other, I woke up at 5:20 and was out of the house by 6:15. Only difference is my KLX is feeling pretty heavy for some reason! It’s been a couple of years since I rode 2-up on this bike and I had forgotten what it feels like. The load is way way lighter than previous passengers, but it does feel weird at speed. I’ll get used to it.

I have 4 audio books I will be listening to on this expedition. I will be starting with Henry David Thoreau’s essay “On the Duty of Civil Disobedience”. Next I have Thoreau’s “Walden”. Last but not least John Steinbeck’s “Travels with Charlie searching for America”. So beware my writing may reflect what I’m listening to.

About 3 and a half hours left in work until I launch. Having Lunch with the wife first though. I also started quitting smoking this morning! this is going to be one crazy ride!!!!!!!!!!
  4. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    IMG_20190614_132410_2.jpg IMG_20190614_132402_9.jpg IMG_20190614_132417_3.jpg IMG_20190614_103547_2.jpg

Fully loaded! Gearing up and heading for Tok! Open road here I come!
  5. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    So I having a snack outside the cache (iga supermarket) in delta junction next to my bike. An elderly gentleman (his biking days were long gone) wearing an Isle of man tt 2018 cap asked if she was a ktm, not only because of her color but how she sat. We had a good chat about his Isle of man experience. As he was getting on a shuttle bus with other supremely experienced people, I realized yet again the power of 2 wheels can bridge generation gaps in just an instant. I guess I'm hitting that age that it's instant peer to peer experience like we have both chewed through more miles than can be counted on 2 wheels and are somehow bound by those miles.
  6. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    The rest of the ride to tok was almost Zen like bliss. Maybe I should have put this in epic trips.

On the way, close to tok. Nice rest stop!

IMG_20190614_174914_4.jpg IMG_20190614_175101_9.jpg
    Ok here is my campsite for the night. Simple scout tent 34 bucks and a 10x12 nylon tarp.
    IMG_20190614_225214_6.jpg
    Inside is my 9 dollar twin air mattress, sheet set and 2 army poncho liners. ok one is Army and the other is Marines.
    IMG_20190614_230021_8.jpg
    Here are the amenities with the campground..

The kitchen and outhouse. Sounds strange, but it is all kept super clean!
    IMG_20190614_194256_8.jpg
    Need a tire change? Here is the tool shed IMG_20190614_194732_1.jpg IMG_20190614_194819_0.jpg
    Sauna? IMG_20190614_194654_9.jpg Just saying, Tok isn't too bad, for a nice campsite in the trees in trees where you can park your bike at your campsite but not your car!
    N-Id-Jim, BHlvr, BigDogRaven and 12 others like this.
  7. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    Day 0 left work in Fairbanks rode to tok.

The route today, I have traveled many times to the point of it's now mundane. A little different today because of my choice of steed for this trip and the isle of man conversation.

1. Stock dry weight, 269 lbs. I estimate she is carrying 300-320 lbs.

2. I did a good job job on the carb, but I'm not a carb guy. She has an issue that just got way worse with weight. Top speed 70 for a bit.

But I knew that! I brought her for the Dempster! And have a bit more fun on the poker run. IMG_20190614_195209_0.jpg
    Trip gets reset to 0 for tomorrow the real beginning of this trip
  8. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    D@mn... I'm in after seeing the shelter half tent poles and poncho liners...
    wilsonjw42 and Scotty707 like this.
  9. Aguaski

Aguaski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love these reports of little bikes on big trips. Keep it coming.
  10. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    Ok wifi has been non existent or super slow! Here comes more!
  11. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    IMG_20190615_095003_9.jpg
    Day 1 I. Awoke and broke down camp. I wished the 3 FJRs good luck as I finished my coffee.
    "Where's my wallet?"
    An hour later I rolled out of Tok after I unloaded everything and finding my wallet rolled up in my tent.
    IMG_20190615_101654_3.jpg

Taylor highway was good as always to chicken. Chicken was packed as Chickenstock music festival was in high gear.

The rest of the Taylor highway wasn't too bad. I caught the FJRs from Nova Scotia right at the beginning of top of the world, so I was setting a decent pace.
    IMG_20190615_141835_9.jpg
    At the border it started to rain. I rode the top of the world highway to Dawson in the worst Rain I have ever ridden in. Hail bouncing off the ground and lightning overhead. All I could think about was the guy who got hit by lightning recently and the helmet pictures of the holes melted through it!

The rain relented as I hit the ferry. The clouds still looked black and swollen and I felt like it was going to rain on me all the way up the Dempster. I just topped off in Dawson and had lunch with a couple of guys from California on Africa twins heading up the Dempster as well.

Really wanted to top off at the cardlock, but it was out of order.
    IMG_20190615_182115_1.jpg

Start of the Dempster, with ominous message!!!!
    IMG_20190615_182259_6.jpg

I rode though tombstone campground. It was fairly packed and everything looked clean. I almost stopped, but I wanted a little different experience than a full campground.

Just some pics of the bike along the way to engineer creek campground

IMG_20190615_192125_8.jpg IMG_20190615_201343_4.jpg
    I ran out of gas right at the campground. I knew I was going to as it's 255 miles between Dawson and eagle plains gas stops.

First campsite on the Dempster!
    IMG_20190616_080109_9.jpg
    Yukon campground s have bear proof food lockers, free firewood, a cooking/gathering building and out houses.
    IMG_20190616_080129_1.jpg

Oh and all have beautiful trails and views
    IMG_20190616_080359_9.jpg
  12. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    Day 1 Tok to engineer creek campground.

Bike felt great at the slower pace. Felt good to be on a fast gravel road. 6th gear is still weak in the power band. Maybe a sprocket change is in order.

It was overcast and cool. I'll be starting out in the morning with an extra layer on.

Thermacell rocks. Just saying the campsite next to me was violently fighting mosquitos. I just lit my thermacell!
    SmilinJoe and AnthonyD like this.
  13. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to catch this report up, but the internet speed here in Dawson is slow. It took me all day to do the last couple of posts. I'll catch up. Because my last camp on the Dempster was kinda cool.
    B10Dave and AnthonyD like this.
  14. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    More info on this mosquito fighting "thermacell" please. Enjoying the trip so far. I like your choice to take a smaller more easily managed bike on the sometimes treacherous Dempster.
    wilsonjw42 and norton73 like this.
  15. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    Quick word about campgrounds.

Yukon territory campgrounds for the most part have very basic immenities. Firewood and bearproof lockers for food are the highlights. I carry a water filter, so as long as there is a water source nearby I am good.

Northwest territories Campgrounds up the Dempster have running water, some just in the mornings when they run a generator. I did not see any bear lockers for food in NWT.
  16. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    this is the thermacell I used.....I'm injecting it now, but it did die! It takes proprietary butane fuel canisters in the handle and heats up a mat. this creates a 15' bubble that mosquitos stay away from.

181752000880_Main_600x600.jpg

Combined with a large scarf soaked in Deet worn around my neck, I made it through heavy mosquito areas with no problems!

www.thermacell.com Can be purchased at most sporting good stores. Wait for the death of it!
    B10Dave likes this.
  17. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    Day 2 Engineer creek to Inuvik

Beautiful weather. It started out a little overcast, but still warm and not bad at all.
    IMG_20190616_111959_6.jpg

a bear just eating grass. I didn't want to wait for him to get in a better photo position.
    IMG_20190616_114114_3.jpg

I didn't bother taking shots at eagle plains. Its a hotel and gas station. Decent food. I paid 11 CAD for a BLT and ham and broccoli soup that was pretty good.

IMG_20190616_151331_1.jpg
    IMG_20190616_162332_3.jpg

It was a bit chilly. The ferries went quickly and I just kept moving. Sorry for not too many photos, but I was in a riding zone.

There were these little white flowers that appeared as large fields of snow. IMG_20190616_160818_9.jpg IMG_20190616_160515_0.jpg

I got to Inuvik around 11:30 pm. I was beat. I think I need to think KLX miles and time and not my Buell mileage and time for my next trip.

Happy Valley campground in Inuvik! Full service to include washers and dryers!
    4166DF41-78FA-4B75-AF97-DFF324A20D1B.jpg

F2632185-74F6-4415-84A5-DCD4444BBC3A.jpg
  18. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    Day 2 Engineer creek to Inuvik

Great day! It did end up getting a little chilly! I just added another layer and then no problems!

Bike is running good, but I feel my chain is stretching more than it should be. I've gone from a 4 to a 7 on the tensioner. Crossing my fingers!
  19. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    Day 3 Inuvik to Tuk To Inuvik.

So all I did was drop my tent and Tarp and left everything lay in Inuvik as I was coming back that evening. I had to still take a lot of crap, because "what if" I had a flat and needed tubes and tools?

20 miles out of Inuvik, I asked myself "why havnt you aired down that expensive TuBliss system in your wheels?" I had been fighting the marbles they called gravel and I was getting a little tired. I aired down to 4 Lbs in the front tire and 5 in the rear.......Holy crap! the difference was instantaneous and dramatic! They paid for themselves that day! and the next, and the next! yes its risky to run them at high speeds on the highway(or so they say), but this is a 2000 mile trip with 1500+ on dirt and gravel!
    And I continued!
    IMG_20190617_112955_5.jpg
    IMG_20190617_113950_9.jpg

I had picked my spot weeks earlier where I was going to dip my tire in the arctic and go swimming myself, but that ended up being a sacred fishing ground with no swimming allowed! So I went to Grandma's Kitchen and found much much more!

As I am psycing myself up to take the plunge, a group pulled up and took picks.....after sharing MukTuk of course! IMG_20190617_120815_9.jpg

Me coming out of the Arctic ocean!
    IMG_20190617_124404_3.jpg
    B1FA3E51-861D-4211-B3E2-F6C1996F02CA.jpg

They signed my certificate as well! then Mrs. Steen(proprietor of Grandmas kitchen) let me warm up in a parka!
    IMG_20190617_125944_5.jpg

Behind grandmas kitchen I was able to ride my steed in and out of those icy waters! gulf of mexico and the Artic ocean...where to dip her tires next????

On the way back I found a way to carry more crap!

IMG_20190617_142354_7.jpg

All in all A beautiful day!
  20. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    Day 3 Inuvik-Tuk-Inuvik

The marble gravel is crazy! on street tires I would imagine slow going, on dirt tires you can move a little quicker, And Dirt tires you can air down you can fly!!!!!!!

The far north is a crazy enchanting place with amazing people and amazing traditions!!!

I am now at 8 out of 10 on my chain adjuster!!! it could be an issue later!

I have met some amazing people! Some of those people ride motorcycles too! Even though this could be a very very lonely road, I never felt "utterly alone".
    SmilinJoe, rjnutt and B10Dave like this.