Tok, Tuk, Tok- on a 2007 KLX250S

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by X-wing fighter, Jun 13, 2019.

1. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    Great trip and report. Don't need a 1200GS to make it to Tuk!
    wilsonjw42 likes this.
  2. X-wing fighter

X-wing fighter Do or Do not, There is no try!!!!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Day 4 Inuvik-engineer creek

Just heading back the way I came! except the aired down tires have given me a little confidence to explore a couple of trails!

IMG_20190618_154758_6.jpg
    IMG_20190618_155042_1.jpg

I didn't make engineer creek! I was getting tired and just wanted to lay down. I saw a few pull outs(a few with tents already) and then I saw this! a huge stack of calcium chloride they put on the roads! and they had pallets! This was my stealth camp for the trip!
    IMG_20190618_221946_4.jpg
    IMG_20190618_221915_7.jpg
    IMG_20190618_221921_1.jpg
    IMG_20190618_221901_3.jpg

Yes that's the infamous scarf that I drench in Deet hanging above my bed! When I arrived I pulled out the thermacell and it wouldn't light! I wouldn't have a bubble! So I sprayed the bags, pallets, and my bed with deet! I slept mosquito free! more on the Death of the thermacell to come!

Great day!
  3. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    Day 4 Inuvik to the bag stack camp!

The bike feels really good! In the morning I know I am going to run out of gas before I hit a gas station, Its just the nature of the beast!

So I carry a small shovel, toilet paper, and wipes for those occasions a toilet is not around. Every pull off or little trail I hit I see little wads of toilet paper!!!!!! please bury your shit folks!!!! or pack it back out!!!!
    SmilinJoe and B10Dave like this.
  4. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    day 5 Stack camp to Dawson!

I was able to pack quick and move out much quicker as I didn't have a full camp sprall!

Here is where I ran out of gas!
    IMG_20190619_112106_4.jpg IMG_20190619_112133_6.jpg

So as you can see they were wetting the roads to keep the dust down! it sucked! not slippery, just a mess.

And finished the dempster!
    IMG_20190619_134207_1.jpg

So Peter, Dan and Al witnessed me swimming in the Arctic and made back to the Dempster sign at the same time! right after this we linked up with a local mechanic that changed Peter's rear tire and took a couple of links out of my chain! Back to #3 adjustment on my bike! Al was riding in their support vehicle and was a little ways behind us.

IMG_20190619_134230_3.jpg

I checked into the Hotel and Showered! as I was brushing my teeth I saw the dirt ring on the tub, If th tub isn't clean I'm not clean So back in the shower I went!
  5. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    Day 4

Had to clean my visor and headlight several times. I brought old t-shirts and socks with me for use as rags after I wore them as clothing. After doing cleaning and maintenance, you simply throw them away! this reduces smell in the bags, eliminates the need to bring dedicated rags for maintenance, and gives you a little space in the end!

It went by too quickly. If I do it again I will spend a full 7 days on the Dempster! there is too much to explore. I had been pushing every day from around 9am to around 1030 or 11 pm every night. Not straight riding on the Dempster, but enjoying the Dempster!

I also missed my DSLR! it missed the cut on my last repack.
    SmilinJoe, rjnutt, wilsonjw42 and 3 others like this.
  6. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    Day 5 I just relaxed in Dawson!

Its such a cool little town and now its filled with motorcycles and the cool riders that brought them up!
    SmilinJoe and B10Dave like this.
  7. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    Day 6 Dust 2 Dawson(D2D) Festivities!

Ok I'm just gonna say I had an awesome day with the bike unloaded! Dennis on his KTM 300 2 stroke made me push a bit......ok that's an understatement! Look what he is wearing and look what I wore! MX gear vs Sauna suit! I'll just say that a big ADV touring bike wouldn't have made it where he took me! 80DEF661-C782-4A93-8FD8-E4AC799ACC26.jpg

IMG_20190621_135356_0.jpg IMG_20190621_135359_0.jpg IMG_20190621_135402_1.jpg

Festivities went late into the evening! I'm sure someone has posted pics on here! I won't double tap. If you havnt done D2D, You really really should!
  8. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice writeup!

There is a backbacking thermacell which uses the standard butane canister:

upload_2019-6-25_15-21-45.png

And instead of using the pricy Thermacell repellants, on ebay you can get the much cheaper ones from thailand (same chemicals).
    B10Dave likes this.
  9. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    The Death of the Thermacell! My thermacell was on its 3rd summer and It was recommended I replace it. I use things until they no longer function! Back in Tuk (day 7 coming) I learned that the handheld ones don't handle the beating they get over time on a bike very well. Several people agreed 1 season on the back of a bike is cutting it close and I was very lucky to have gotten 3 seasons.....oh and the one I still have at home is the same age and still works. I think I will try the backpacker on @NorskieRider mentioned above. I do have a habit of leaving them on occasionally, So I'm just going to have to pay more attention to it in camp!
    B10Dave likes this.
  10. jeckyll

jeckyll Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    Sometimes these little interactions along the way are what makes the trip memorable, beyond just the scenery and riding, and you realize that people are living vicariously through you in that moment :)
    B10Dave likes this.
  11. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like a good trip, thanks for taking us along
  12. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    Day 7 Dawson to Tok

Well it was pretty much uneventful travel. I made it back to Tok and had a nice evening at Thompsons Motorcycle campground. Played horseshoes and sat around the campfire swapping stories. It was a great book end to the trip! Very grateful to everyone along the way.

Tok-Tuk-Tok 1719.3 miles! On a klx250
    IMG_20190623_094740_2.jpg
  13. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    Tok to home on Sunday 23 Jun.

I didn't make it all the way home. I lost the chain on the way back. I had to have someone come and pick up me and the bike for the last 75 miles........Good thing I named this thread Tok-Tuk-Tok or I might feel like a failure! 35D98182-D2D5-4E1E-ADCA-CE89E71E596B.jpeg IMG_20190626_055225_8.jpg

Total trip 2061.8 miles!
  14. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    I met so many people on this trip and for the first time in a long time I felt like myself.....I felt at home. Thank you to all I met along the way. This trip reinforced my feelings that I need to be on 2 wheels more often to find peace in my life. Maybe a guide job, maybe just take off on a way extended adventure!......with an extra masterlink of course!
  15. simestd

simestd Packet plumber Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was wondering about that chain after talking with you @ Midnight Dome. Glad you made it home and the broken chain didn't cause a crash or too much damage. If my math is correct, 4,200 miles is what you got out of it before it failed which seems low for a 520 chain on a lightweight bike. Maybe look into fabbing up a case saver as insurance?
    [​IMG]
    Redfish Hunter and B10Dave like this.
  16. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    Last summer I had a new chain put on when I had a few other things done. So the chain was sitting around 2400-2500 miles when it failed. I didn't select it and I have no clue what brand it was. I also didn't change sprockets when I changed the chain. Chain maintenance was never a high priority for me either. This trip was a wake up call! New chain and sprockets are on the way and I won't be neglecting them in the future!

That case saver looks better than the stock "chain guide". I need one! the chain guide died when the chain gave way as well (and possibly was the culprit that caused the break).

This bike has done a lot of sitting over the past 11 years and I'm glad I never considered getting rid of her because of lack of use.
    SmilinJoe, wilsonjw42 and B10Dave like this.
  17. 1994klr250

1994klr250 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing the ride with us! Great to see the little klx on a long ride. I just got back from a 1,300 mile ride to Northern Michigan on my klx with the 351 bill blue big bore.

As for the chain I've always trusted DID or RK chains. I usually get the highest quality and strength chain I can find with a few links longer than what I need. Once cut to the correct number of links I keep the extra links on the bike for repair along with a few clip master links.
    B10Dave and TaZ9 like this.
  18. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    Changing Sprockets and teeth a little as well.
    1. I need to pull the carb and do a couple of tweaks. I wasn't happy with my 43 MPG average in the end. I put in a dynajet kit over the winter and I just need to adjust a little.
    2. On order is a stock 14 tooth front, a 13 tooth front sprocket, and a 47 tooth rear(44 is stock). Just want to feel the difference before considering next winters upgrades.
    3. I ordered an RX x-ring chain. I'll probably change the chain and sprockets again before next summer, so I went with products that didn't break the bank.

I'll also be looking at strengthening the subframe to better handle the weight of the gear. I found nothing that shows fatigue or stress yet, but she was carrying 300-320 LBS over rough roads.
    SmilinJoe likes this.
  19. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great trip; nice write up and thanks for the Thermacell info.
  20. 1994klr250

1994klr250 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I reinforced the subframe on my 06 klx several years ago after I built the rear soft luggage racks for it. I made a write up with pictures in the long term klx review thread. If you would like to see how I did it I took plenty of pictures and they start here and continue for a few pages through this thread: https://advrider.com/f/threads/long-term-klx250s-review.107591/page-652#post-28102911
    X-wing fighter likes this.