Tom Goes to Tuk

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by tpresten, May 31, 2018.

1. tpresten

tpresten RideUmAll

Oddometer:
    This will be a ride report of me going to Tuktoyaktuk and some other places along the way from Atlanta, GA. I am leaving in the next day or so with no reservations and tons of camping in my future. It is my second trip to the north as I went to the Arctic Circle in 2005 on the Haul Road. I was only 39 at the time and decided to turn around and not go to Prudhoe Bay for fear I would not have a reason to return later in life. Hope you enjoy this story.

All the pictures from this trip will be here https://tpresten.smugmug.com/MotorcycleEvents/2018-Alaska-Tuk

If you want to see where I am you can try this if I have cell coverage and remember to turn it on ...haha... http://www.greenalp.com/RealtimeTracker/index.php?viewuser=tpresten

Riding this 2014 Super Tenere ES ->

[​IMG]
    elliot_scott, v4play, YYCADV and 18 others like this.
  2. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    IN! and safe travels to you...
  3. kitsapjoe

kitsapjoe Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in too, have a safe ride.
  4. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    In.

Safe ride.
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  5. peejayess

peejayess Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In - at least it's starting out good and clean :rofl
  6. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    @tpresten , are you running new Mitas e-07 tires for this ride ? And if so, are those the Dakar version ?

If, and when you get a moment, tell all the readers a little more about your bike, and what upgrades or farkles you have installed to make this ride better for you.

Because I have "seen" a lot of Super Tenere's have failing fork seals in the Great White North, especially on the Haul Road, which would also be true on the Dempster Highway, I would have suggested installing fork boots/gaiters on the lower forks, despite the exposed section of the fork sliders being behind the lower guards.
    Since it is too late for that now, and your ride starts tomorrow, I will suggest that each and every night, after you are done riding for the day, take a "baby wipe", and wipe down the exposed fork leg, to remove all bugs, shells, dirt, debris, etc.

Super easy to buy a packet of "baby wipes" of something very similar at just about any convenience store, drug store, grocery store, anywhere in North America.

Finally, do you have a projected or anticipated DATE that you think you will be arriving in the tiny hamlet of TUK ?

I ask, because a few of us responding to your thread here, will also be riding to TUK, and we plan to be there on June 19th.....and then ride to the D2D in Dawson City.
  7. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in. Enjoy your crazy ride!
  8. tpresten

tpresten RideUmAll

Oddometer:
    Yes the Mitas are the Dakar version.

I also installed Seal Savers after I took the picture to hopefully help save the fork seals. Picture below.

I will be in Tuk as soon as I can considering the Peel River ferry is still closed I believe. I will probably be back in Atlanta by the time D2D is going on however I will ride through Dawson either coming or going as I want to do the Top of the World Highway.

[​IMG]
    fasttortoise and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  9. Sifox

Sifox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a long way north. I'm in. Interested in seeing whats on the way up there.
  10. tpresten

tpresten RideUmAll

Oddometer:
    Just left my house in Atlanta at 2pm est. Probably overpacked but I had the capacity. 20180602_135257.jpg
  11. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    In, have a fun trip..... yes I like reading other folks trips north it makes me appreciate the Last Frontier that I sometimes take for granted.

Edit: its human nature to overpack, however much room you have you will fill it and need about 10% more :-)
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  12. fasttortoise

fasttortoise Smartest Idiot Here

Oddometer:
    Is your riding gear packed in there too?! Mostly kidding looking forward to following your ride!
  13. tpresten

tpresten RideUmAll

Oddometer:
    Riding gear is on. Surely it's not cold up there. I am eating at my favorite road food for dinner in Murfreesboro, TN in 93 degree heat. First tank went 215 at 45mpg although Yammy computer tried to tell me 48mpg.
    20180602_173023.jpg
  14. fasttortoise

fasttortoise Smartest Idiot Here

Oddometer:
    Perusing your smugmug. You've clearly got plenty of bikes and miles under your belt!

Now I feel bad for joking about you not wearing gear in that first pic :muutt
  15. tpresten

tpresten RideUmAll

Oddometer:
    I am so thick skinned you can poke all you want and I will laugh along with you.
    Wierdrider, GAS GUY and fasttortoise like this.
  16. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You would think he would have learned by now wouldn't you! HAHA
  17. tpresten

tpresten RideUmAll

Oddometer:
    At least I am not wearing a peanut shell helmet this time. Haha
    fasttortoise likes this.
  18. tpresten

tpresten RideUmAll

Oddometer:
    Chasing the sun in Kentucky

20180602_193339.jpg
  19. tpresten

tpresten RideUmAll

Oddometer:
    I am camping on an inmate's 20 acres in Paducah Kentucky. I love the advrider tent map. Since I have no schedule I contacted this inmate a few hours before I got here and they gave me the address to camp here. I have my Bibler tent for this trip since there is a chance of snow camping. As a recap I left Atlanta at 2pm and have done 385 miles at 70 mph getting 45mpg. Good times ahead I assure you. By the way I put some links in my original post that may be of interest to you guys. All the pictures and a way to track me. 20180602_213955.jpg
    Wierdrider, bobw, Sidehil and 3 others like this.
  20. TOTim

TOTim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Travel slowly, for maximum effect.
    chief 06, black 8 and Suncoaster like this.