Tomato Trail - Trans-MA To Hampster

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by SRTie4k, Sep 29, 2017.

1. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    Glad to see people using the route, and glad you had a good time!

If you're talking about Flat Rock Road, I know exactly what you mean. The first time we ever rode it last year, I got stuck in a massive washout in the middle in really soft sand. It was repaired over the fall/spring, but the last time we went that way (a month ago maybe?) it was already starting to wash out again. Best strategy on that hill is pick a line, gun it and don't let off!
  2. NewEnglander

NewEnglander Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That must be the spot. Gas it and go!
  3. Trailnut

Trailnut n00b

Oddometer:
    Nice riding with you New Englander!
    Hope to hook up again soon.
  4. NewEnglander

Oddometer:
    That was good fun. Hopefully I entertained you with my feeble skills . Now I’m thinking about one of those KTM 1290’s, dang. I’m sure we will do some riding. Maybe see you at Cromag.
  5. wandererrob

wandererrob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ve got some time on my hands and I’m close to Hollis, so I’m looking forward to checking this route out.

Thanks for all the work you did pulling it together!
  6. NewEnglander

Oddometer:
    8FD9D655-F582-4EC3-B6A3-150195D4E69E.jpeg B00C1CEE-2C6A-4273-BE7C-DA9B22E8FBEA.jpeg I did the short route with a friend this weekend and had a great ride. There are some real gems along this route. Here’s a pic or 2.
  7. SRTie4k

Oddometer:
    Glad people are enjoying it! I'm actually working on some modifications to remove more pavement and add more dirt at the moment.
    NewEnglander and JohnfromJersey like this.
  8. NewEnglander

Oddometer:
    The section on the short route that runs behind Franklin Pierce was fantastic! Great scenery and dirt. Well done!
  9. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's great. i did sections of it a few days ago returning home from the Flatlander loop. What i rode was great. I'm looking forward to more. Were getting lucky with all these random public tracks throughout New England
  10. robs400

robs400 no time

Oddometer:
    Its been way too long since I have been active on this site. The local info seems to have really come a long way. I'm located in Athol and have a DRZ400 and a Vstrom1000 now too. I'd be interested in riding this with someone if anyone local wants to try and meetup? Even if its just part of the route. I do not have a GPS at this point, so hoping to find something that knows the route or has a GPS. I am pretty familiar with the back roads in the Orange/Athol/Wendell/Phillipston area. I'll try and do a better job keeping track of this forum/PM's to see if anyone is interested! - Rob
  11. 44Dwarf

44Dwarf n00b

Oddometer:
    Looks like some fun routes. Never used a GPS on a bike but i do use a galaxy s7 for my speedo. Can this file be down loaded to a phone and used with google maps or another program? Just picked up my 1st dual sport in 20 years...but i've been known to use my street bikes off road forever. Riding a ATK 605 now.

Thanks for the help.
  12. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. 413Sean

413Sean Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes it can. What I do is download the GPX file with my phone. If you download gpx file viewer app or OSMAND app(both are free) you can simply open the file in either apps and it'll give you the route with turn by turn directions. A ram mount or some type of mount for your phone is quite helpful. I've done the look down at the tank bag routine and it's not recommended. -Sean
  14. mr.jadkowski

mr.jadkowski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone developed a connector route from the top of the PDR to the top of the Hampster trail (a la Tomato Trail on the south end)?
  15. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
  16. Milosh

Milosh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone gotten printable maps for all these trails, or is it strictly for Garmin/GPS users?
  17. Aeroscout

Aeroscout Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do these routes require a dual sport to have Massachusetts OHV registration?
  18. SRTie4k

Oddometer:
    No, the roads on this track are all legal roadways.
    White&Nerdy likes this.
  19. Aeroscout

Aeroscout Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I'll be in Massachusetts for a few weeks in May and I want to run a few local routes. Any other suggested routes I should look into? I'll be based in Tewksbury if that helps.
  20. SRTie4k

Oddometer:
    Trans-MA Trail, Mid-State Trail, Flatlander, Hampster Ride, Puppy Dog Route are all great rides in the area.
    Aeroscout likes this.