Tomato Trail - Trans-MA To Hampster

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by SRTie4k, Sep 29, 2017.

1. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    I have updated Tomato Trail Long to remove a new section of pavement (which was previously dirt). I've also rerouted it to add an unmaintained technical section with several firm bottom water crossings, Farrin Rd. This can be bypassed by taking 119 south past Watatic, but it is still big bike friendly via Farrin Rd. All crossings were performed by me on my Super Adventure and my buddy on his Tiger, and we did them after a significant rainfall on Pirelli Rally STR's. The deepest water crossing came up just above our pegs.
  2. TarMack

TarMack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Doing the Tomato trail Saturday August 3rd morning if anyone is interested. Starting in Greenfield, MA around 10:00.

Started new meetup.com and Facebook group: New England Adventure Riders

Organizing rides like Tomato, Hampster, Puppy Dog, Midstate, etc. Please join us.
  3. fitzPA

fitzPA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rode the Trans Mass and the Tomato trail last weekend; What a great 2 days of riding.
    I started and finished close to Taconic State Park and when it was all over, I had covered 550 miles.

This was on a Africa Twin and all trails were easy , Great selection of roads/trails.

Kudos to the folks that put this together.
  4. SRTie4k

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you enjoyed it!
  5. TarMack

TarMack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rode the tomato trail short version Saturday on a KTM790R, along with a GS1200 and a Multistrada 950. Very nice ride. Nice mix of back roads and dirt roads. All very big bike friendly. Will try the long trail soon. Thanks!
  6. NewEnglander

NewEnglander Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a chance to ride the updated Tomato short route today east to west. This route seems to me to be the most balanced for difficulty and variety of any of the popular routes in the MA-VT-NH area. The bike got a good workout today.
    DSCN2510.JPG
    Temple Rd in Orange MA. Looks way steeper and rutted in person. This pic makes it look almost flat!

DSCN2514.JPG

Knobblies worked great. Remember..traction control off.

DSCN2517.JPG
    Tree down on Pine Hill Rd. Time to break out the big tools.

DSCN2518.JPG
    DSCN2519.JPG Road clear! Onward! Almost no traffic on the entire route today.

What a great route! I highly recommend it.
    S4Wrangler, RallyNH and BigOgre like this.
  7. TarMack

TarMack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice job on that tree! That wasn't there two weeks ago. Rider i was with went down on that downhill. He was inexperienced off road. Did some damage to his bike. Going to try the Tomato trail Long route soon.
  8. SRTie4k

Oddometer:
    Thanks for helping to clean up the route!

I will be releasing an updated version shortly with some more "edits", including a slight re-route of Tomato Long in Brookline, and a slight detour of Tomato Short in Rindge to hit some more dirt and get a nice view of Mt Monadnock.
    RallyNH, NewEnglander and TarMack like this.
  9. NewEnglander

Oddometer:
    I really liked the long route when I did it last year. I’m going to have to give it a go this year at some point. I always bring my leatherman tool. It’s surprising how many times it has come in handy while riding.
    Hopefully the fall didn’t hurt him much. We all go through it while learning how to deal with the big bikes in off road conditions. I am still getting used to the Yamaha after 10 years on a BMW GSA. A few weeks ago I dropped the bike on a steep hill because I forgot to shut off traction control.
    TarMack likes this.
  10. NewEnglander

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your good work on these routes. We appreciate it very much.
  11. White&Nerdy

White&Nerdy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I plan to give most of the short route a try in reverse this weekend, picking it up in Temple since I live next door in Greenville. I might name my version from Greenville, NH to Greenfield, MA the "It's Not Easy Being Green" route. :jack
  12. NewEnglander

Oddometer:
    That’s exactly what I just did. I also live in Greenville and picked it up in Temple center. I have ridden the section before that. I want to try the new long route sometime this year.
    White&Nerdy likes this.