Tomos Velo 150

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Rich Dubbya, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Rich Dubbya

Rich Dubbya Pimpadimpolis

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if they're any good ? A local shop's selling them . Look pretty cool . At $1900 pretty reasonable too.
    [​IMG]
  2. approachbears

approachbears 250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer:
    Unlike their own design/own factory mopeds, the Tomos scooters are just re-badged Chinese-built scooters available from other dealers as other names.

The Velo 150 is something of a copy of the Honda Joker and the same scooter is sold as a Fly Il Bello and the Bandit 150, among other names (maybe also the Baron Retro 150). You might have more luck searching for those slightly more common names/models.

There's no Tomos dealer in my town, but one scooter shop sells the Bandit for MSRP $1699 and another has the Il Bello for $1999, though I think they go out the door for a couple hundred less.
  3. tortoise2

tortoise2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. killkennykill

killkennykill n00b

Oddometer:
    I bought mine a few months ago, it's actually very well made, it is a gy6 150cc but it appears that the castings are far superior to the usual chinese knock offs,trust me I've awned them all! lol

I got mine to go 70 mph (non gps checked mind you) the build quality is nice IMO.

everybody loves it, I get questions about it ALL of the time

cargo space could be better (lil small) and the gas tank is a bit of a pita..it has a bar just below the fill hole that keeps the nozzle from going all of the way in so gas tends to splash out of the hole when filling it. (some gas pumps are worse than others)

I say buy it, I love it as of right now I have 600 (miles?) on it and it appears to be holding up very very well.

will answer any questions about it.

definitely NOT junk!:D
  5. approachbears

approachbears 250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer:
    Those other junk scooters you said you've owned must have really lowered your standards. It better be holding up really well with only 600 miles. Let us know how it did once it hits 3000 or 10,000 miles.
  6. bassguitar

bassguitar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bump of an old post.

I've got a Velo 150. I've had it for 2 seasons now with just over 4000 miles. It's in Canada, but I guess it's a US model with a MPH odometer.

I had a strange electrical issue that got sorted out after 200 miles or so - there was a loose ground that wasn't a problem until I tried to start it! A bolt in the brake caliper needed to be replaced as well as the crush washer as it had a very slow leak.

Other than those things - it's been pretty good. I get comments all the time while I'm on it. It's some kind of SYM bike rebadged as a Tomos, which is okay by me since SYM seems to have a pretty decent reputation being from Taiwan.

I'm think I'll be selling it though as I just got a DR-Z and it hasn't had any use for the past week. I'll be changing the oil and gear oil this weekend and putting her to bed for the winter :cry, but I did ride almost all the way through November, so that's pretty good for Toronto.
  7. Motovista

Motovista Go Fast, See Nothing

Oddometer:
    You can break that thing off with a pair of needle nose pliers. It doesn't matter if it falls into the tank, it won't interfere with the petcock.
  8. tortoise2

tortoise2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lance is also selling a similar Classic 125 design (12" front 10" rear wheel, no rear carrier rack).
  9. bassguitar

Oddometer:
    Yeah - I cut mine out. It's much easier to fill now for sure.
  10. Motovista

Oddometer:
    This is an example of what's wrong with the Scooter market today. Dealers will tell you anything to get you to buy their product. There is no SYM model that remotely looks like that. It may have been made at the same factory that makes some of the SYM, Eton and Yamaha product, but it is not a rebadged SYM.

At that price, what you are getting is the 150 GY6 motor, which was rushed into production by the government when the government decided to ban 2T engines for the domestic market, and has some fairly significant reliability issues, electronics and wiring components that are not the worst, but not the best, and a fit and finish that is better than that found on the $1299 internet scooters. The bolts are less likely to have been crossthreaded at the factory, the plastics are probably better molded and of a higher quality, the electronic components are plugged in with quality connectors, and the bike was assembled out of the crate at a real dealership. Shipping by the distributor to your house in a crate was not an option.

One quick and easy thing to check in order to ascertain the overall quality of your scooter is the drive belt. The better ones tend to use a Bando, or at least a counterfeit Bando, and the cheaper ones use a couple of brands that begin with Q and sound like a handful of change hitting the floor. Another clue is the headlight. The cheap scooters use the same socket, which is round and has a triangle where the light locks into place. You cannot buy this bulb at Autozone or Walmart, and the one you buy online will be a little different than what you take out of your bike and might or might not line up right. The better ones use a standard international type socket.
  11. bassguitar

Oddometer:
    I guess you are correct - there is no SYM scooter that looks like the Velo. And the dealer did not tell me it was a rebadged SYM but it does have SYM written right on the key. Tomos is a reputable brand in Mopeds as I'm sure you know, so I have a little bit of faith there.
  12. Motovista

Oddometer:
    I used to get a lot of the small Can-Am atvs that had Adly on the key. Now they make them in Vietnam. The factory where the Chinese Sym product comes out of is one of the better ones, and there are a lot of distributors in the Southeast, Eton, Sym, etc, that use it. So does Yamaha for things like the 90cc ATV. But do yourself a favor and replace the belt and rollers with Gates and Adige or something of similiar quality. I've seen a lot of the Chinese SYM and Eton product have belt failures and flattened rollers before 2K miles. Save your old belt as a backup, but get it out of there.
  13. killkennykill

killkennykill n00b

Oddometer:
    ok well, I got it to 1700 miles 9zero issues! however it DID get stolen the only issue is that the battery was getting weak and was in need of replacement but the batt was two years old...buying another one it was reliable as all hell. the gas tank bar was stupid but that's my only real complaint aside from some usual understeer common with just about all scooters anyhow..nothing horrible..as i said mine was stolen but will be buying another. it IS a sym. the key said it and the dealers backed that fact up..also the tomos nitro 150 is ALSO a sym. so don't listen to the know nothings who think they KNOW something, it IS a sym product the soft ride and understeer were the worst of it..gettin g a black one this week (may 2011):D
  14. ferrix

ferrix Been here awhile

Oddometer: