TomTom Rider 550 and Sena headset

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Daboo, May 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping someone here can help me. I really like the TT Rider 550...except for the BT support and how it acts for making and receiving phone calls.

So the hardware is the TomTom Rider 550. Sena 10C Pro BT headset. Samsung Galaxy Note 9. All have the latest updates. All were paired for the multi-channel pairing per TT's instructions.

When I get a phone call, there's no notification coming on the Sena headset. I see the screen and push the large green button to accept the call...and nothing happens. It just disappears from the screen.

I've tried using Google Assistant and Bixby to handle voice calling...and neither work reliably.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
    Chris
  2. CRracer712

CRracer712 Africa Twin Rocks! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does the TomTom use a phone app to deliver notifications? My zumo 396 uses a smart link app, in this app I can allow or block various apps notifications.

That's all I got since I use Garmin and packtalk bold
  3. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The TomTom Rider 550 uses a similar app. I had a Garmin 595 till it and the bike departed company one evening. I never found it.

I'm going to try one more thing. I had both Google Assistant and Samsung's Bixby both running. Maybe they are conflicting with each other. I'd love to get it working, because I love everything else about it.

Chris
  4. ayrton80

ayrton80 n00b

Oddometer:
    Same problem. Rider 550, Sena 10R, Samsung S10e.
    I too have thought about a conflict between Google Assistant and Bixby.
    have you solved somehow?
  5. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sorta did...and sorta didn't. ;) If you want to skip to the bottom line, I got frustrated enough to return the TomTom Rider 550 to Amazon and bought a Garmin Zumo XT. But perhaps what I went through will help someone.

One of the first things I had to get over, was the TT Rider 550 to BT headset connection. With my previous Garmin 595, I simply paired the two and all was well. Somehow the smartphone, BT headset and GPS sorted things out so all were happy. The TT wants to connect specifically to the second phone channel. That cleared up some of the connection issues, so at least that part was stable.

The rest is really between the BT headset and your smartphone. The TomTom Rider 550 has little to do with it. On the smartphone...in my case a Samsung Galaxy Note 9...you can chose between Bixby and Google Assistant. The Sena BT headset though, really really likes Google Assistant. Unless I had Bixby already actively working, pressing a button on the Sena didn't do anything. It would bring up Google Assistant instead. I eventually gave up on Bixby.

Google Assistant wants to monitor everything you do, all the time. I had a philosophical issue with that, but decided to allow it temporarily to see if it would work better. It did...and didn't. Again, it was basically irrespective of the TomTom Rider 550. The TT has you press a phone icon on the screen, but you get the same thing by pressing a button on your BT headset. Making and receiving phone calls could happen...but you had to have things on your phone set up so you didn't have to look at it. In other words, saying something like "Call Jane" would work if there was only one "Jane". But if you had multiple "Jane" listings in your contact list, then you had to be smart enough to say "Call Jane Smith". It can be done, but if you didn't get it right you really needed to pull off the road to look at your phone...not the GPS.

Music playback was an issue I had. I have played a particular playlist of songs by the group, Hillsong, over much of the western half of the USA and Canada. It makes the miles go by easier on the empty stretches. Well, even if I had Google Music open, it rarely would do what I wanted. I'd say "Play Hillsong Playlist"...and a few times, it would do what I asked. But more often, it would pick either the streaming portion of Google Music...and more likely, it would pick YouTube Music. In other words, Google Assistant wanted to play streaming music, which I think generates $$$ for Google. And this would happen, even if in the middle of nowhere with no cell phone reception. Again, it was a problem between the BT headset and the smartphone. The TomTom Rider 550 was not part of the problem.

But therein also lies the "problem". TomTom gives you a way to do these functions, but really does little else other than provide the absolute minimal interface. Like with the phone call support, it has a button on the screen that will wake up the phone...but you get the same functionality by forgetting about that and pressing the appropriate button on the BT headset to wake up the phone. If you want to look up a contact to call, you really need to pull over and look at your phone to make the call. When you want to pick the music you want to listen to, you might want to get it working while stopped before heading out.

FWIW, I also had an issue with the accuracy of the TomTom POI database. The bar on the right of the screen shows you where the next two gas stations are...but I passed by several gas stations that looked like they had been there for years and they didn't show up. If you're like me where my bike doesn't have the largest gas tank and range, knowing accurately where gas can be found is important.

In the end those three things...the issues with getting phone calls to work, music playback, and the gas stations...led me to return my TomTom Rider 550 to Amazon. I ended up buying a Garmin Zumo XT for a few bucks more. Like the other Garmin Zumos, it has built-in app interfaces for things like music playback and phone support. It's not perfect, but as long as it doesn't fall off the bike like the 595 did, it'll be the last GPS I'll have till I quit riding.

Chris
  6. Yamasakialo

Yamasakialo Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I tried the 550 about 6 months ago. I updated and had a full charge. On my first ride I decided to go to a restaurant about 11 miles away. Just a little test. What could go wrong? Well....it wanted me to make left turns. These left turns were in the wrong direction! I would go ahead and make a right. It would remap. Go a few miles and another left. But there was no left. Only trees. I finally just quit looking at it. We made it to the restaurant. Got off the bike in the parking lot of the restaurant. Looked at the Tomtom and it was telling me to go back out on the road, make a u turn and come right back where I was. Needless to say I returned it. They tried to get me to do some things like reboot and such. I just told them to make something that worked out of the box. You know...like a toaster or a can opener. I have never rebooted or poked and prodded a gps. They are just supposed to work. Never will I buy another tomtom.