TomTom Rider down to £250 Garmin 2610 at £250 on GPSW

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Europe, Africa, & Middle East' started by emelgee, Oct 4, 2006.

1. emelgee

emelgee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just been browsing the TomTom website and it looks like they've halved the price of the Rider to £250. The only cut back on spec seems to be a "Local" mapset - if you buy in the UK you only get UK mapping.
    Full European mapping is an option for about £100 - even with this as an extra that's still a big price drop.
    Anybody know why this could be? Poor sales, new model on the way or do they just want to kill the sales of the Garmin equivalent which is due out soon??

http://www.tomtom.com/products/section.php?ID=146&Section=252&Category=0&Lid=1

I was thinking about upgrading my Streetpilot III for a Garmin 2610. They were advertising them at GPSW for £300, but I've just checked their website and they've dropped the price to £250 as well:

http://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod3267.html

I'm tempted to go for the TomTom for road touring and hang on to the old Garmin for off roading trips.
  2. karmatourer

karmatourer STD free

Oddometer:
    Hopefully they will have them until Nov 1.
    Thanks for the link.
  3. rallybug

rallybug Local Yokel

Oddometer:
    The 2610 is now £199.98 at GPS Warehouse
  4. emelgee

emelgee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I noticed that as well. I was just about to order one from blokestuff.com at £250, but thought I'd check GPSW before commiting. I've just placed my order - at that sort of money you can't go wrong.
  5. mike keating

mike keating Irish

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

I'm Irish, but I now live in Budapest, Hungary. Garmin have enhanced their East European Mapping (see link below).

http://www.garmin.com/pressroom/cartography/030806.html

I'd love to get a GPS and was seriously considering a 2610.

Does anyone know if I can put this East European Mapping on the 2610. If so, how and what would it cost etc? What is involved?

Thanks a lot,
    Mike
  6. emelgee

emelgee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've ordered a 2610 myself, so I've had a look at the new Eastern Europe mapping. At the moment it seems the maps are only available on SD memory cards in the new NT format, which is only compatible with the newer range of units (including the new Zumo bike model).
    There's no mention of them being made available on disc for older models at the moment.
    I guess we'll just have to wait and see!
  7. aurel

aurel Cheese&Wine!

Oddometer:
    Ordered too, I hope the french map is good :1drink
  8. Thefuturesbright

Thefuturesbright Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just in case you prefer to buy from the high street, Halfords are also seling the RIder for £250.

I just can't make up my mind between one of these and the 2610 while it's at the same price???????????
  9. Thefuturesbright

Oddometer:
    I have just realised that the Tom Tom comes with blue tooth that fits in the helmet but the Garmin comes with an external speaker (one would hope it comes with an ear cable if it is being marketed for the bike rider).

The advantages to the bluetooth is that it is easier to use on a bike but when you transfer to a car there is no external speaker????

Has anyone recently purchased and have more information/comments?
  10. Wee Wee Rider

Wee Wee Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Garmin 2610 is actually £189,99 at GPSW. Got mine today!
  11. motomartin

motomartin Banned

Oddometer:
  12. emelgee

emelgee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As far as I can see the Garmin 2610 is the best value unit out there at the moment, while they're still available. It may be a bit bulkier than the Tomtom, but it has a far better range of features, includes full Euro mapping as standard and you get the PC software to go with it.
    I've been using mine for about a month now and it's got all the features I'm ever likely to need, and I've also found a free Mapset for Morocco for my next trip!
  13. Wee Wee Rider

Wee Wee Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:

Would you mind telling us WHERE?
  14. emelgee

emelgee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For Morocco maps look here:

http://www.island-olaf.de/travel/marokko/gps.html

They're free to download for personal use.
    I've tried them on my PC and on my 2610, and the detail seems very good, with loads of trails marked on them. They aren't routable, so you have to use straight line 'off-road' navigation, but I don't see this as being a problem.

For a good source of Morocco routes look here:

http://www.voyages4x4.com/roadbook_maroc.htm

There's loads more maps for various other countries listed here:
    http://home.wtal.de/noegs/freemaps.htm
  15. Wee Wee Rider

Wee Wee Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the links!

I hope we'll see a ride report.:thumb
  16. Thefuturesbright

Oddometer:
    I went for the 2610 deal at GPSW in the end after weighing up the odds. Nobody seems to have a bad word for the 2610 but plenty of people have told me some dissapointing things about the Tom Tom.
  17. patrick56

patrick56 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bought the Rider during the summer and it works just fine.Watertight so it suits well my Africa Twin. The Bluetooth speaker is acually a small receiver to put in you inner pocket and you can choose between a traditional earpiece and a small speaker. I like the speaker as it causes less pain in the ear. Bad thing is that you need to reduce your speed to about 60mph to hear the instructions (helmet?).The nice thing is that you can use your cellular via the navigator. Planning the route with a pc works also well. Some complaints has been made by guys riding in the terrain about the docking piece.It seems that the contacts (small studs) are ruined by the vibrations. Could possibly be prevented by using some fastening device type Touratech grabbing the navigator and not the docking device.
    Another source to get the Rider very cheap seems to be the german company Louis. :rofl