Too Hot To Ride

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by michaeln, Jun 26, 2016.

1. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man... in my area it has been high 90s to over 100F every day for the past several, and supposed to go over 105F by midweek.

Dunno about you folks, but as much as I love riding, I don't much like riding when it gets to the mid 90s or above. Fortunately where I live I can pick my days, because we have decent riding weather almost all year, so I choose to ride in the temps I enjoy.
  2. desertdaves

desertdaves DesertDave

Oddometer:
    I'm with you! Went riding this morning at 730 and it was already 92! Cut the ride short when it hit 101 by 1030.... but I would not give up winter riding here!

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
  3. K. L. Rocket

K. L. Rocket Big bouncy make big happy

Oddometer:
    Stay In, Stay Alive! :lol3
    Foot dragger likes this.
  4. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    rode like 400 miles in 2 days on pavement and mostly in the high 90's and 100+.

trying to find out what's my threshold. also, put my new and old summer gear to test and how my new bike will perform. will do it again but no more than 100 miles. my summer gear is made of mesh material.

it was hot but i survived. have to stop every 30 minutes, drank water and let my body cool off. i never realized there is no shade in 99.9% of the places where i stopped when the sun was above me. inside the gas station is the best place to hang out.

doable if one is well prepared, with good a good plan and in good health. i would not do it in the middle of nowhere.
  5. CatBehemoth

CatBehemoth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just made it home (SFBA) from camping in Sierra NF, it was like being blown on with exhaust pipe all the way. Still a great weekend!
    DaFoole, Foot dragger and NSFW like this.
  6. tag3

tag3 Doofus

Oddometer:
    Inland from the coast of Santa Cruz and Trona.
    Ride to the lake. Swim and look, ok, hit on the hotties, ride home with a smile on your face.:-)
    SunshineTom, helicrazyjared and NSFW like this.
  7. NevadaWolf

NevadaWolf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I keep my LDComfort sleeves wet and avoid mesh. Highest I've ridden in was 112 in Death Valley (at 1am!)

I think once my riding buddy and I escaped into a beer cave at a gas station for awhile.
    mike89061 and NSFW like this.
  8. ubermick

ubermick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, was up near Tahoe last weekend (fathers day) from the Bay Area, and did 150 miles each way on the slab. Was tailing my wife in her car. Traffic made it so much worse - had to sit in it on the way up (low 90s) but on the way back, by the time we hit Sacramento it was in the upper 90s, so let her know I was taking off and would see her at home. No way I could just sit there not moving amongst the lanes of traffic, in full gear. Even splitting though, was only doing 35-40, and kept the visor down as felt like a hairdryer in my face. Blech. Wanted to get out to the coast this weekend, but just couldn't carve out the time.

So yeah guys, am with ya. Too hot to ride in full gear right now, and that's the only way I leave my garage. Ugh.
    NSFW likes this.
  9. michaeln

Oddometer:
    Mesh gear does not help above 93F. The wind will no longer cool your body, it will instead HEAT your body. Strange as it seems I am more comfortable in my non-mesh Klim Badlands with the vents open than in my Olympia Dakar mesh jacket when the temps are that hot.

See this excellent article (.pdf file from the Iron Butt Association on hot weather riding):

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjeveb7k8jNAhUK6iYKHT6HArkQFggcMAA&url=http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/ironbutt_1002_62-66_Hot.pdf&usg=AFQjCNG5KLDezmaGBNt99f1r553Uzj7Bsg&sig2=QLViw4TFkMRrioNukk-TqQ&bvm=bv.125596728,d.eWE

Unfortunately, on these hot days I see mostly HD riders. Their preferred hot weather gear is boots, shorts, wife beater t-shirt, useless beanie helmet and sunglasses. Passenger often wearing less.
    Barakaiki, Foot dragger, RAZR and 3 others like this.
  10. F.P.

F.P. Clown who is sick

Oddometer:
    +1 on riding ATGATT in the heat. I wear a 2 piece 'Stich and the recipe to comfort is to soak my head and long sleeve cheap Target tech shirt, zip up and ride. I swear I have been chilly in 100+ heat.
    desertdaves, RAZR and NSFW like this.
  11. CatBehemoth

CatBehemoth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put cooling vest to my shopping list
    AZQKR, RAZR and NSFW like this.
  12. FTL900

FTL900 White and nerdy

Oddometer:
    The key temp is 98, your internal body temperature. At 98 degrees you pretty much break even no matter how fast you ride, and anything over 98 degrees, a mesh jacket or t-shirt only allows your body to heat up faster by allowing the hot air to heat your core.
    Wind chill charts actually show that the temperature on your body goes up with speed, so 100 degrees sitting still feels like 105 or 110 at speed. I had the chart but I lost it.

My riding limit is 100. If the high today is in the 90's, I'm ok since it's less humid here in Vegas. 90's isn't terrible for short rides as long as you remember to stay hydrated.
    Once it breaks 100, the bike stays garaged. To me, it's like riding in the pouring rain- I'm not having fun anymore so there's no point.
    NSFW likes this.
  13. Excndez

Excndez Girly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Too Hot to ride?
    I just rode 710 miles of pavement this weekend with my 75 year old father, Bakersfield to Topaz Lake via Sonora Pass and back down hwy 4-49-41. It was over 100 degrees both days. It was hot but bearable. Keeping hydrated is key.
    Foot dragger and NSFW like this.
  14. michaeln

Oddometer:
    Nope.

The key is 93F, your external (skin) temperature. If the air is warmer than 93F it heats your skin. Less, it cools it.
    MJSfoto1956, Zubb, RAZR and 1 other person like this.
  15. St.Stan

St.Stan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If the high is going to be greather than the mid 90's, I head for my swim hole (south fork American river just downstream from Whitehall)

If you are heading over the high passes and you start early, you can beat the heat on 49 and enjoy great temps in the high Sierras. But the downhill plunge back home in the afternoon heat is an hour or two of purgatory.
    NSFW likes this.
  16. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Living in the foothills, we have the luxury of heading uphill right from home. Even when it is 100 degrees at home, it will be 80 at the top of the Sierra.

The hottest I have ridden is 115 F. I had to cross the Central Valley of California midday to get to the motorcycle races. Like ubermick said, I had to close the face shield to keep my face "cool". It felt like blast furnace. Luckily, I had an aftermarket oil temperature dipstick on my Honda XL600, because at highway speeds the oil temp just kept climbing. I had to pull over to let it cool near the western edge of the Valley, as the oil was nearing 350 F. It was cooled down and ready to go again in 10 minutes.
  17. rollinrob

rollinrob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rode my 160 mile loop yesterday. Hwy 49 through Downieville, Sierra City, to Sierraville, Truckee and home down Hwy 20. Full leather gear, full face helmet etc...

No bad up high, but it was warm, drank lots of water, not too many other bikes on the road. I grew up in Chico so I know about heat.

The Yuba River makes a nice stop to cool down, and people watch.

Not looking forward to the ride down to Monterey in a couple of weeks for WSBK/Moto America. Leaving that Thursday after work just in time for the heat of the day around Auburn/Sacramento
    Foot dragger likes this.
  18. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    hydration pack. cooling vest. cooling bandana. cooling wrist wraps and cover up.
    keep your internal temps down. even when it's in the 80's it's easy to get heated up.
    stay hydrated. use electrolytes. avoid caffeine and alcohol.
    we rode off road in the desert 1 week ago to Kramer Junction and started at 7 AM done by 12. made sure my cooling bandana and wrist wraps were always wet with ice water. (I have two 3L Klim hydration packs. one with ice and electrolyte water, one with ice water for re-wetting gear and pouring over your face and head.)
    kept up our speed and didn't really notice that it was in the 90's pushing 100.

haven't used this brand, but this is a great idea and Revzilla are a good site to get good gear. Scotts Performance in Montrose currently has a cooling vest from Klim. I was just there checking out gear.
    http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-liquid-cooling-vest

bandana
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000HARK4W/ref=cts_ap_3_fbt?pi=SL110&dpPl=1&dpID=61E9kl74cAL

wrist wraps
    https://www.amazon.com/HyperKewl-Evaporative-Cooling-Wrist-Wrap/dp/B00GGGZ4GM

also using coconut oil or heavy moisturizers on your skin before and after a ride to maintain hydration.
  19. michaeln

Oddometer:
    Or just stay home or drive my air conditioned truck. ;-)

I know you can do all those things. For me though it is not necessary. We have pretty much year round riding, and if it is too unpleasant or too much trouble, I just won't ride.
  20. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    +1 on using the truck to get up in elevation. I aint got nothing to prove to anyone except for my middle finger as I pass by in my air conditioned truck. Only reason I ride to work instead of driving is because it would cost me significantly more to drive and I would spend an hour more in traffic each day.
    CNRED, AZ Mark, NSFW and 1 other person like this.