Too Hot To Ride

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by michaeln, Jun 26, 2016.

1. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    A few weeks ago here. At 9:44 am it was already 112 degrees. No pussyfootin'.

[​IMG]
    renogeorge likes this.
  2. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    That's HOT!!
  3. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    that'd already be 5 hours of ridin! :jkam
    cyberdos likes this.
  4. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    It's been pretty mild here in the foothills this year. Low 90s at most. When it's in the 90s, 1/2 hour ride uphill takes the edge off it real quick. You might even wish you'd taken your jacket liner once you hit 9,000 feet or so.

I remember a few years ago at about this time of year, I rode to Laguna Seca for MotoGP. It was 115 F in the California Central Valley. I pinned the throttle on my XL600R and rode flat out to try to get across the hot stuff as fast as I could. The heat was like a blast furnace on my face, so I had to close my shield to let my face cool down. I had a temperature gauge oil dipstick on that bike, so I was watching it. When I got to Los Banos, it was still climbing at 325 degrees. I have no idea what is considered high for oil, but since there was only one more number above that on the gauge I thought I should pull over and give it a break. By the time I finished my cigarette (yeah I smoked back then :bubba), the oil had cooled to about 275. I hit it hard again, and finally got over Pachecho Pass to Hollister.
    NSFW, Davethestick and michaeln like this.
  5. T4EaterJonny

T4EaterJonny Not too hip...

Oddometer:
    Ah summertime is almost here. 90+ temps can piss off. That's when I put my bikes away. Ya'll can keep your swamp ass and batwing.
  6. MaddBaggins

MaddBaggins Having a beer

Oddometer:
    I commute 3-4 days a week on the bike now. 22miles each way on surface streets in Tucson. Yesterday my dash read a cool 106 on the way home.

My favorite is all the people who see me geared up and ask me “aren’t you hot?”.
    Wtf do you think
    nk14zp and RAZR like this.
  7. RAZR

Oddometer:
    LOL
    i used to commute to work on my bike and generally wore the mesh street gear.... this one particular hot summer day here in L.A., i stop at a red light next to a LAPD car, they had their windows down as usual, but i could feel the AC blasting out of their squad car. i looked over and the cop says "you must be hot" and giggled. i said "yeah it's prett hot, but it's best to be safe!" and they both nod like i blew their mind.
    then the light turned green. :ricky
  8. T4EaterJonny

T4EaterJonny Not too hip...

Oddometer:
    Well not only that but Traffic+heat? My R6 was a hair dryer at stop lights. I only used it in the summer if my car was broken and I was able to carry them home in a backpack on the bike. Or I'd borrow someone else's car lol
    RAZR likes this.
  9. MaddBaggins

Oddometer:
    Whew! 111 was my hi dash reading this afternoon. it was a scorcher out there. Just got home and killed half a powerade in about 20 seconds.
    My pants are mesh and I wear shorts underneath. I can feel the sun, thru the holes in the mesh, frying my calf. Next pants I get will be no mesh. My jacket has 2 panels I can open for air but otherwise it's 1000 denier. I wear a shemagh under the helmet like a doorag and it's tucked into my jacket collar so my neck isn't exposed to the sun. I sweat like a racehorse but thats what keeps me from overheating. I'm white as a ghost, I don't like to expose my skin if I can help it. I think the worst are my feet. I have black leather Dianese boots and my feet get really frickin hot when it gets above 100.
  10. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. dzrtracin

dzrtracin возьми

Oddometer:
    Used these last summer, pretty happy!
    [​IMG]
    fastpast, nk14zp, mntdawg and 4 others like this.
  12. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. MaddBaggins

Oddometer:
    I only have the Dianese leather boots. If I’m not commuting, I might wear my Danner hiking boots for something lighter and cooler.
  14. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    Does it really matter if it breathes well if you are getting blasted with 110 degree wind?

:nah

I rather be entirely protected. Can you imagine sliding down pavement right now in a t-shirt? Those no gear guys are fucking idiots. The sun will put a hurtin on your ass.
    RAZR, MaddBaggins and CNRED like this.
  15. MaddBaggins

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm not too concerned about mesh gear. I scored my pants for free and they are black mesh. I'd rather have solid pants but free is good for now.
    cyberdos likes this.
  16. MVP

MVP Orange County Dirt Noob

Oddometer:
    I disagree my mesh jacket and pants are the bomb. I wear them all the time when it’s too hot. I ride from LA to Laughlin or to Flagstaff and I always appreciate the mesh in the middle of the desert. But I don’t do the T-shirt business. I want to have at least a fighting chance of keeping my skin.

At what heat does everyone stop dirt biking?
    RAZR and NSFW like this.
  17. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    Here in Vegas, we start early and end early before the paint starts to bubble off the frame or your plastics start to melt. Middle of June - Middle of September usually.
  18. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    Everyone is different of course and if it works for you that's great. I have 2 mesh jackets and really like them. Most of the year I commute with them. But normal body temperature is ~98 degrees. If the ambient temperature is past that, you're not doing yourself any favors by letting it in.

The biggest reason why I use mesh past 100 for commuting is that I don't want to get to work drenched in sweat. If I'm not going to work I prefer to use the 'stich, close all the vents, and sweat.

I'll add that when going home (time when it's really hot!) the mesh/cooling vest combo is the ticket.
  19. little foot

little foot seriously not serious

Oddometer:
    Ya it's hot here too.
  20. RAZR

Oddometer:
    442A461A-AA6F-4DD6-987B-B1CCDD2C7C05.jpeg
    depends, but 90 if no wind. maybe 95-100 if there's a nice breeze.
    yesterday was gonna be a hot one so we met at 6:00AM and finished by noon. but there was a nice breeze all day and we didn't stop much.